Learning sets

Learning sets

Postby markprior22 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:50 pm

Do players improve offensive/defensive sets only through practice or do they improve from playing in games also? If so, do they improve more during gameplay? Just wondering how much it would benefit to put certain (mostly younger) players in games and run lesser used sets solely to improve their set proficiency. Appreciate the feedback.
markprior22

Re: Learning sets

Postby RockossmosD » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:36 pm

markprior22 wrote:Do players improve offensive/defensive sets only through practice or do they improve from playing in games also? If so, do they improve more during gameplay? Just wondering how much it would benefit to put certain (mostly younger) players in games and run lesser used sets solely to improve their set proficiency. Appreciate the feedback.

Great question I hope in game has a big influence on their learning of strategy. Aa an individual that deal a lot in the micro management in 2d gameplay not just the recruiting portion I hope that there is an effect to in-game learning.
RockossmosD

Postby NCAAhoops » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:10 pm

Don't have the answer but what I see is practice adds a few points every week. I have seen stated in the forums before that playing time does help with player improvement but can't say if that's weekly or over longer interval or if it's sets or their ratings.
Maybe someone else knows more.
NCAAhoops

Postby PointGuard » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:14 pm

I also think improvement mainly comes from practicing the sets. Not sure if there is being on the court when the set is run does anything

I look at it that you're having your players practice the sets so they improve their skill level and can employ the set more successfully in games...if there's a bit of a little boost in skill level after running it in games, great.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Gary Gorski » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:51 pm

Players will benefit in their overall skill levels from playing time but it does not help increase their proficiencies in sets they do not know. Why? Here's why

The proficiency is the understanding of the set - where to be, how it works, why it works, etc...if you do not understand these things being told to go out there and run around and pretend like you do isn't helping them understand or learn anything about it. They have to be taught through practice time. Practice is where the coach would break it down, explain why something worked, position players on the floor and so forth so therefore if they have little to no understanding of the set they might go out there and luck into doing it right but they're not learning anything by doing that so there is no increase in their proficiency.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby markprior22 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:25 pm

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification Gary.
markprior22

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2021 General Discussion