International Recruits GPA and SAT score issue

International Recruits GPA and SAT score issue

Postby Billdozer » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:42 pm

Hello, I just ran into an issue and was wondering if anyone else has seen something similar. I had a 5 star recruit from Australia who had a 2.7gpa but only got an 850 on the SAT and did not qualify at my school. The GPA and SAT scores appear very odd in general for international recruits. Several other international recruits had a 2.2 or below gpa but got over 950 and even up to 1160 on the SAT. My American recruits SAT scores have some variability but are basically what I would expect to see based on gpa's.

Maybe my Australian recruit spent too much time surfing and sailing instead of studying for the SAT? Is there a lot of variability in international recruits SAT scores or was there some sort of glitch I had?
Billdozer

Re: International Recruits GPA and SAT score issue

Postby PointGuard » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:15 pm

While I have no idea how Gary has programmed this, the amount of variance when comparing GPA to SAT scores is good. While GPA is an indicator, there isn't (nor should it be) a direct correlation between the two. Schools vary in how well they prepare students, kids vary with respect to their test-taking abilities and the amount of preparation and tutoring they receive for the SAT. And it also seems that the degree of variance might well be greater for those who are coming from other countries.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Billdozer » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:34 pm

I agree that the grades and sat scores should not and do not correspond perfectly. I would also expect a little extra variance for international recruits. I still find it odd that for this international class the grades and sat scores was an extreme inverse correlation for most international players. It almost felt like there was some error in the table where the SAT scores were misaligned with the players.
Billdozer

Postby PointGuard » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:47 pm

Billdozer wrote: It almost felt like there was some error in the table where the SAT scores were misaligned with the players.

Hmm...worth a check...I'm at the wrong place with the association I'm running in CB21 right now but will look when I get past when the SAT scores are announced.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Billdozer » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:08 pm

Thanks, it is unlikely there was an error though since the U.S.A recruits had less variability. The SAT is for American Colleges and Universities so more variability in international makes sense. I probably just got unlucky.
Billdozer

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2021 General Discussion