Zone offense practice time strategy

Zone offense practice time strategy

Postby Billdozer » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:22 pm

I have a question about zone offense strategy and what other players do. I used to leave the zone offense at the default 5%. However I like a heavy inside attack so I can win the rebound and second chance points battle. I had some bad shooting numbers against 2-3 zone defenses at times in the 2020 version. For 2021 I have decided to set practice time at 15% each for 1-2-2 and 2-3 zone attack and 10% for 1-3-1. I think am having a little more even performance against man and zone. There is a natural trade-off with players having less knowledge in motion and shuffle which I run. How much do folks here practice zone attack offense?
Billdozer

Re: Zone offense practice time strategy

Postby PointGuard » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:33 pm

I just do 5% for each of the three every week...unless...when viewing the scouting reports for opponents that are on my team's schedule for the week following the week I'm in and I see that one mainly runs a specific zone....I then 0 out the practice time for the other two zone attacks and increase the one that will be faced to 15%. So in effect I'm readjusting the zone attack practice time most every week.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Billdozer » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:16 pm

Great, thanks, that sounds like a more focused of adapting to opponents.
Billdozer

Postby schlick7 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:47 pm

Does the practice affect the next weeks game as well then and not just proficiency? Is that confirmed PointGuard?
schlick7

Postby PointGuard » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:50 pm

I don't think it specifically does anything for that game.,,but if my players become a little more proficient that will help with how they perform in that game. I've never analyzed this, but my feeling is that when I find out that my team will face a specific zone defense, I want to do what I can to increase their proficiency against that defense...so once I know a certain zone is forthcoming, I increase from 5% to 15% for the week before the game. I'm sure it doesn't affect their proficiency level much, but hopefully it does a bit more than just going along with 5%.
Last edited by PointGuard on Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby NCAAhoops » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:07 pm

If have tested the Practice to see effect on Proficiency and can say that practice time helps and updates every week. By only a few points but helps Proficiency. More practice time the more gain in Proficiency, less practice time less gain on proficiency weekly. Again it might be +1 compared to +3 in Proficiency but over time it adds up. Over three weeks that can be a +9 compared to a +3 in the rating.
NCAAhoops

Postby madeye » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:37 pm

Can you adjust the practice plan mid-week and have impact on the current week? Or does the practice plan set one week run the whole next week no matter what? I'm constantly tweaking based upon scouting reports and upcoming opponents, but maybe some of my tweaks are useless...?
madeye

Postby PointGuard » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:48 pm

I believe the program runs practice at the end of the week (last thing Saturday), so if you adjust it any time before that it will be done as you set it.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2021 General Discussion