Roster Management Questions

Roster Management Questions

Postby nuwildcat » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:56 pm

Two questions for the experts:
1. Are upperclassmen less likely to happily accept a redshirt than freshmen? I am taking over a new team and have a glut of players at one position in the same class and want to know if I can redshirt a junior or senior to equal things out.

2. I know there is a penalty for cutting a scholarship player, does the same penalty apply for walkons?
nuwildcat

Re: Roster Management Questions

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:19 pm

1. You can only red shirt Frosh or Sophs. I've red shirted both.
2. Cutting walk ons does not result in a penalty. I do it all the time.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby nuwildcat » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:36 pm

Thanks for the quick response. That is exactly what I wanted to know.
nuwildcat

Postby Billdozer » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:31 pm

I also cut walk-ons often. I will usually keep a walk-on if the have a good personality, are popular, and do not care about playing time. Otherwise, I cut them. I feel like if a walk-on is a good teammate they are useful but if they do not add to team harmony they just take playing time away from scholarship players. I have also seen high rated walk-ons vastly underperform their star ranking.
Billdozer

Postby Wildcat18 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:05 pm

Billdozer wrote:I also cut walk-ons often. I will usually keep a walk-on if the have a good personality, are popular, and do not care about playing time. Otherwise, I cut them. I feel like if a walk-on is a good teammate they are useful but if they do not add to team harmony they just take playing time away from scholarship players. I have also seen high rated walk-ons vastly underperform their star ranking.

I’ve noticed walk-ons tend to have low scoring skill, at least in my experience, which lowers their playability unless they’re a top-passing PG.
Wildcat18

Postby PointGuard » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:08 pm

I leave walkons on the roster..they're harmless and don't bite. :p

Usually I put them all the way down at the bottom of the depth chart...but I tend to use 200% injury level so that means at least a few more injuries and some are lengthy ones, so I figure it never hurts to have some depth that can be available if necessary.

I do agree that if the walk-on has a bad personality (this seems unusual for walkons, though), it might be worth cutting them.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby jlemmen43 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:33 pm

PointGuard wrote:I leave walkons on the roster..they're harmless and don't bite. :p

Usually I put them all the way down at the bottom of the depth chart...but I tend to use 200% injury level so that means at least a few more injuries and some are lengthy ones, so I figure it never hurts to have some depth that can be available if necessary.

I do agree that if the walk-on has a bad personality (this seems unusual for walkons, though), it might be worth cutting them.

I like this strategy. Ya never know if you may need a fill in to bridge the gap for your regulars.
jlemmen43

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2021 General Discussion