Player Types

Player Types

Postby jtisinia12 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:38 pm

Hi everyone, was hoping to get a bit of clarity on player types -- are these reflective of a current player's skill, or are they "enhancers" of his current skillset?

I happen to have a decent big man who has the "attacker" attribute -- this big guy is in a 6th man role, but he's coming off the bench to average 11-12 ppg on 70% shooting! I thought one season could be an anomaly, but this is crazy/great!

What are the other player types and are they this impactful?
jtisinia12

Re: Player Types

Postby jtisinia12 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:41 pm

The player in question^
jtisinia12

Postby NCAAhoops » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:16 pm

There are 8 player types and they are ratings (Skill) related.
Bucket Getter, Sharp Shooter, Attacker, Paint Dominator, Ball magician, Play maker, Defender and Cleanup.
Your guy is an attacker I believe would mean he has high Drive rating, so he gets the ball and drives to the basket.
With that type rating is why his shooting % is so high as most shots at or near the rim, and depending on Draw Foul rating would get plenty of Ft's possibly too. If so I would start him against opponents that have really good centers in hopes of getting them in foul trouble early and then if your starter is a good scorer put him in against their sub. I assume he's good if he's starting over this guy. Must be other ratings holding him back from starting.
NCAAhoops

Postby locus » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:32 am

I had a 7'1" center with the attacker trait, he was incredible. I feel like it has to be a bonus on top of their ratings, or some hidden rating that doesn't display on their character sheet, because like you I experienced my boy Dee Pearce massively outperforming his rated stats.
locus

Postby TripLykely » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:26 pm

locus wrote:I had a 7'1" center with the attacker trait, he was incredible. I feel like it has to be a bonus on top of their ratings, or some hidden rating that doesn't display on their character sheet, because like you I experienced my boy Dee Pearce massively outperforming his rated stats.

I’m both curious and ok not knowing whether the player type is simply a concrete indicator to add to our other data points and their margin for error or a hidden rating. Either way, these players definitely play better than those without the traits. What’s interesting is they seem to uncover with playing time. Moving to Auburn I was thin at PG and gave a walk-in some minutes over the years. As a senior he had the ball magician trait. My assumption is that the display of traits are gated behind playing time but players have them from day one. Lots of foggy information to evaluate talent makes things interesting and realistic. I like to imagine that walk-on PG just a small town kid who spent countless hours in his driveway doing dribbling and passing drills - all he needed was a shot.
DDSCB21 Let's Play - Chasing the career milestones of the legendary UCLA coach John Wooden - Chasing Wooden Playlist --> https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIVfxNP1tD6mNwqSbZK-ZtxC5ntyd1uiq
TripLykely

Postby PointGuard » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:02 pm

TripLykely wrote:I’m both curious and ok not knowing whether the player type is simply a concrete indicator to add to our other data points and their margin for error or a hidden rating. Either way, these players definitely play better than those without the traits. What’s interesting is they seem to uncover with playing time. Moving to Auburn I was thin at PG and gave a walk-in some minutes over the years. As a senior he had the ball magician trait. My assumption is that the display of traits are gated behind playing time but players have them from day one. Lots of foggy information to evaluate talent makes things interesting and realistic. I like to imagine that walk-on PG just a small town kid who spent countless hours in his driveway doing dribbling and passing drills - all he needed was a shot.

I like it!!!!!! :cool:
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:06 pm

I see the Player Type but nothing is "lit up" there for any of my players. When might this happen? I'm 7 games into my season.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby TripLykely » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:21 pm

Wayne23 wrote:I see the Player Type but nothing is "lit up" there for any of my players. When might this happen? I'm 7 games into my season.

IIRC I haven’t seen them year one, but the following year you might get some. Although I think I had a recruit come in as a sharpshooter. Obviously somewhat rare for any player to have a player trait but I’ve seen as low as a 2 star with one.
DDSCB21 Let's Play - Chasing the career milestones of the legendary UCLA coach John Wooden - Chasing Wooden Playlist --> https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIVfxNP1tD6mNwqSbZK-ZtxC5ntyd1uiq
TripLykely

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2021 General Discussion