New to the game

New to the game

Postby Ramsyanks » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:38 am

Hi,

When you have one scholarship available during the recruiting period how do you navigate. If you offer the scholarship to a 5 star stud but are not sure if he will come to your school, how does that effect other recruits you might want as a plan B, plan C? Can you still host and interact with other recruits if you already offered the only scholarship you have for that year?

Thanks!
Ramsyanks

Re: New to the game

Postby TripLykely » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:04 pm

Recruiting is such a blast in this game, and a big reason why is nothing is black and white, although there are some good practices.

Ramsyanks wrote:If you offer the scholarship to a 5 star stud but are not sure if he will come to your school, how does that effect other recruits you might want as a plan B, plan C?

It doesn't directly affect your backup plan recruits but understand other schools may/probably are offering them a scholarship which will affect preferred school. So hanging an early scholarship to the Indy Elite Camp MVP doesn't make the regional camp top10 guy from your state like you less, but he may like the schools who offered him an early scholarship more. You may also be able to pivot and win him back over later.

Ramsyanks wrote:Can you still host and interact with other recruits if you already offered the only scholarship you have for that year?

You can still call, host, scout, and visit after offering your only scholarship.

Because the game allows for 4 in-home visits per period they're allowed, with 1 scholarship (assuming the budget) you're in position to aggressively recruit multiple players while hanging an early offer to your top guy. There seems to be value in early offers but I'm not sure its quantifiable - I think it varies by recruit and their interests. It would make sense that top recruits, who are targeted by every major school, have less sway from an early offer, however I generally treat them the opposite. My thinking is everyone wants this guy, if I'm not the first to make it official I've lost - which isn't necessarily true.

What I like to do in this situation, assuming top school since you brought up 5* recruit, is wait for Indy Elite camp and heavily target (and offer) the MVP or best player at position I need while working my region. By the end of July all camps have taken place and you should have a pretty good idea on where you stand with your targets. If you have the Gold Report compare your rank in the top 10 the the interest level of the other schools. Are you 3rd but HOT while 1st and 2nd are WARM? That would indicate the recruit prefers the two schools above yours but values the effort you're putting in more. If you've hosted them and they had an 'awesome time' you're probably going to lock them up - but you might not. By the end of July I'm reassessing where I stand with the 1 offer to the top recruit and beginning to plan my 3 other visits that first week of in-homes.

There is a chance 9/4 of early commitments so you might find out then if you need to pivot to backup options, or you may still be in the running. Before the first visit I reassess where I stand with the top guy and where other schools stand if I have the Gold Report. Assuming it looks like I have a shot I make a visit and pitch what he wants to hear. The first visit is where I generally make my decision on continuing to pursue my top target or moving to lower talent but higher likelihood of commitment. You want a very strong response to the visit, if they say they can't see themselves playing for you and drop an interest level revoke the offer and move to next target. Be aware though, even if they say the line that includes 'hope to see you on the court' it isn't a guarantee you'll sign them, although it is the closest to one.

If your top target hates the visit or accepts elsewhere simply offer your 2nd target and visit 2,3,4,5 on your list. Rinse and repeat until season begins. There is a chance your 2nd target may be gone after the first round of in-home visits, all part of the assessment on 9/11. There have been times where I've had an offer to a guy all year only to pull it before in-home because it looked like I had no chance of landing them and a high chance of losing my #2.

There is a feel to recruiting you get as you play more so I'm not sure all of that makes sense or helps, but hopefully it does. I'd be happy to elaborate more as I've been logging an absurd number of hours playing this game.
DDSCB21 Let's Play - Chasing the career milestones of the legendary UCLA coach John Wooden - Chasing Wooden Playlist --> https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIVfxNP1tD6mNwqSbZK-ZtxC5ntyd1uiq
TripLykely

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:04 pm

You can and should continue to pursue other recruits after you offer, whether you have only one scholarship or several. Keep courting those recruits!
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Ramsyanks » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:10 pm

Great info, thanks. I am starting to get a feel for it. Awesome game!
Ramsyanks

Postby Timmuh » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:24 pm

Recruiting is so much fun. Every time I think I have it down after one great class...I struggle with the next.

I do wish I could get a bit more personality info. Feels like I hear about work ethic and leadership but often still have kids with high in both come in “disliked” or something like that and blow up my season. I guess that’s part of coaching though!
Timmuh

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2021 General Discussion