CPU Coach Potential Ratings

Re: CPU Coach Potential Ratings

Postby NCAAhoops » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:06 pm

Will start testing coaches potentials tonight. This a quick overview of the set up.
18 total coaches some Assistants some Head Coaches mixed into the the last mod release of 21.1.0.
Three coaches in each of these grouped categories.
Current Ratings for Offense, Defense, Recruiting, Scouting, and Player Development set to Rookie @ age 30, Amateur @ age 35, Average @ age 40, Professional @ age 45, Veteran @ age 50, and Elite @ age 55 years old. Three coaches of each rating group has Ambition of one coach set to Low, one set at Medium and one set at High Ambition. So for example there would be 3 Rookie coaches with exact same ratings except for Ambition and so forth for each group.
Potential ratings for all set to 90 for each Offense, Defense, Recruiting, Scouting, and Player Development.
All other rating set to average for temper, pace, rebounding, rotation and all other ratings.
Will run 20 years maybe more and hope to do several associations to rule out abnormalities and look at end result and try to develop some conclusions of how to handle future coaches.
Will come back and post some of the findings in a few days.
NCAAhoops

Postby TripLykely » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:26 pm

Very interested in your findings, I like your methodology.
DDSCB21 Let's Play - Chasing the career milestones of the legendary UCLA coach John Wooden - Chasing Wooden Playlist --> https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIVfxNP1tD6mNwqSbZK-ZtxC5ntyd1uiq
TripLykely

Postby NCAAhoops » Sun May 02, 2021 10:25 pm

Wanted to give an update on a few early observations.
I have tons of data to analyze but a few things I see already.

1. There are always 1529 coaches available in all years with about 100 coaches as unemployed. So a good size pool to work from.
2. Coaches that retire are replaced with low level coaches at all various ages.
3. The biggest surprise is if a high level coach retires the new generated coach may have low current ratings but he inherits the retiring coaches potentials. So here is where the new great coaches can come from. If Duke's Coach K retires then the new coach has current ratings in the 20's but his potentials will be coach K's potentials!
4. Coaches with high potential ratings can gain on current ratings very quickly.
5. Unemployed coaches do not improve current ratings until they are hired. Surprised by this but makes sense. The only thing I see here it would be hard to tell if he can be a really good coach if his ratings stay stagnate during that time until he gets hired.
6. Not sure this is true for all but but saw an older coach with decent ratings but he was unemployed for 2 years and his recruiting ratings went down the 2 years he was out of a job. Wow, never new this and how deep this game goes to be realistic as that seems real if he is not out there being active. Nice touch of realism.
7. Goodwill ratings spread much more that I thought. I assume 1 to 10, 1 about to loose their job with 10 very safe job security. I saw number upward of 33 and as low as -100 so I need to do much more evaluation on this rating as I'm now uncertain of what I believed.

Two things I want to research more:
1. It seemed good coaches with low current ratings but very high potentials had hard time being offered jobs and stay unemployed. Not saying that true for all and will look closer at that.
2. I was surprised to see a coach with age but with ratings considered Professional so he was still real good that had been fired to be unemployed for 2 years. I had stopped the sim here so I may run this further just to see if he gets another job.
3. The first run I can see where the next great coach could be in the unemployed group but have such low current ratings and greatness for potential ratings not get a job and sit there for years. Hard to see his greatness if he came in at age 50 and was unemployed for 5 years his ratings will not improve while unemployed and if he does get a job he will only be around for maybe 5-7 years. Still need to look more into this but saw a couple of these guys in the first run.

I plan to start another run to see if things track the same if so I'll stop there and dig into the data.
NCAAhoops

Postby nuwildcat » Mon May 03, 2021 4:12 pm

That is some fascinating information. My main question is, how long does it take for the new coaches with low ratings and high potential to reach their potential ratings? Do coaches fully reach their potential in a couple of years or does it take quite a while for this to happen?
nuwildcat

Postby nuwildcat » Thu May 06, 2021 2:15 am

After seeing the last reply from NCAAHoops, I decided to try and play around with the coaches potential ratings in a different way than he did. After all of that, I have come to basically the same conclusions. The biggest concern I have going forward is the speed at which the coaches reach their potential. This is an issue that I hope Gary will address in the future. If it were up to me, I would suggest getting rid of set potential ratings for coaches and have them gain points based on success and experience. This would make coach progression much more realistic. This may however be difficult to do within the current code.
nuwildcat

Postby jlemmen43 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:09 pm

nuwildcat wrote:After seeing the last reply from NCAAHoops, I decided to try and play around with the coaches potential ratings in a different way than he did. After all of that, I have come to basically the same conclusions. The biggest concern I have going forward is the speed at which the coaches reach their potential. This is an issue that I hope Gary will address in the future. If it were up to me, I would suggest getting rid of set potential ratings for coaches and have them gain points based on success and experience. This would make coach progression much more realistic. This may however be difficult to do within the current code.

I would love to see one overall rating for Potential and then based on what you said, coaches gain in ratings based on success and experience, but as a factor of their potential. Example: a coach with high Potential rating will gain more points in the ratings with success & experience, and a coach with a low potential rating would only gain slightly. And the ratings would rise in each category, proportional to their current rating (with some randomness obviously). For assistant coaches, who their mentor is would affect the growth too. Players kinda need the potential rating for each rating, but coaches, I don't think it's necessary. Just one overall.
jlemmen43

Previous

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2021 General Discussion