Player Ratings Drastically Changing?

Player Ratings Drastically Changing?

Postby zsmith » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:43 pm

I have a question about player rating changing from season to season:

For example I'm starting as a low level coach at TN-Martin and I brought in a 2 star freshman. When he actually joined the roster he was a 3 star with 4 star potential as a freshman. The next season he was a 4 star sophomore and played well. 2nd best player on the team behind my 4 star PF that was already on the roster when I started the game. Then for his junior year he drops to a 2 and a half star with 2 and a half star potential. And this has happened with a few others after my 4 years with the team. I just dont get how the potential and actual overall fluctuates. Am I missing something?
zsmith

Re: Player Ratings Drastically Changing?

Postby TripLykely » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:53 pm

My understanding is there is a ‘fog of war’ in regards to scouting and that the more time staff has with a player, or the more film/live scouts, the more accurate the scouted ratings.

For the example you gave I’d say your staff was high on him as a freshman and sophomore, overvaluing him, and by junior year they’ve landed at his current rating.

There’s also a chance, if your scouting is poor, that they’re just incompetent and that player is indeed a 4*. I’ve been playing as a high prestige team lately with a good staff so I haven’t ran into what you have; rather starting low and getting higher over time. I’ve read that staff scouting and the fog of war is overdone and so recall more jumps in ratings when I did a small school run with a poor staff.
DDSCB21 Let's Play - Chasing the career milestones of the legendary UCLA coach John Wooden - Chasing Wooden Playlist --> https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIVfxNP1tD6mNwqSbZK-ZtxC5ntyd1uiq
TripLykely

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2021 General Discussion