A Theory on Pace

A Theory on Pace

Postby TripLykely » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:55 pm

Just wanted to share something I've been doing with great success to see others thoughts.

Obviously there are many ways to win and no one perfect strategy. Personnel, experience, coaching staff, etc. all play a role in what's best for a particular team. From this I start from the premise that ideal strategy is focused but fluid. There is a plan but it allows for deviation based on team variables.

In my current run my team runs Motion, Triangle, and 5-Out on offense but set usage and offensive pace are determined by my personnel. Because the coach sliders are on a 0-9 scale starting from the left, I've been using a team average scoring/passing skill weighted to minutes to set my offensive pace. The thinking is the higher team scoring is the easier they can create a shot thus the faster the pace can be. On the flip side the better passing is the more you can slow down looking for the perfect shot without a TO. By finding those weighted averages I then get a range for how slow and how fast my pace should be. Here's a hypothetical team with 5 players for ease of explanation

G - 5 Score, 7 Pass
G - 7 Score, 5 Pass
F - 7 Score, 3 Pass
F - 6 Score, 3 Pass
C - 8 Score, 4 Pass

Because everyone plays the same minutes weighting is irrelevant to this example, but the average scoring is 6.6 and passing is 4.4. What I would do then is say from the right 4-5 clicks marks the slowest I can go, and 6-7 clicks from the left marks the fastest I can go - which in this situation would set pace at 6 from the left as ideal. My teams have had a lot of success but I've yet to do any universe mode testing of this theory. Anyway, figured I'd share to maybe start a discussion on strategy.
DDSCB21 Let's Play - Chasing the career milestones of the legendary UCLA coach John Wooden - Chasing Wooden Playlist --> https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIVfxNP1tD6mNwqSbZK-ZtxC5ntyd1uiq
TripLykely

Re: A Theory on Pace

Postby TripLykely » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:51 pm

Figured I'd add a pic of the spreadsheet I made to help me determine my offensive pace, set usage, and amount of full court defense. This does what I wrote about in the OP while also showing my weighted starter and bench proficiency/skill. I didn't mention in the OP but I use athleticism to determine how often I run full court defense as it was mentioned in one of the dev streams. (the low/hi boxes are for scaling the usage - maybe you want it between 40-90 for example)

DDSCB21 Let's Play - Chasing the career milestones of the legendary UCLA coach John Wooden - Chasing Wooden Playlist --> https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIVfxNP1tD6mNwqSbZK-ZtxC5ntyd1uiq
TripLykely

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2021 General Discussion