Recruiting A+ Academics

Recruiting A+ Academics

Postby Timmuh » Thu May 06, 2021 2:12 pm

I just started playing with Duke and it is so hard to recruit. 3.3 is the lowest GPA I can feel comfortable recruiting without the players missing the SAT requirements.

That gives me usually less then 50 prospects across the nation 3* and above.

In this season, out of that list I had one player in the top 25 of the Indy Elite camp.
Timmuh

Re: Recruiting A+ Academics

Postby TripLykely » Thu May 06, 2021 2:22 pm

Timmuh wrote:I just started playing with Duke and it is so hard to recruit. 3.3 is the lowest GPA I can feel comfortable recruiting without the players missing the SAT requirements.

That gives me usually less then 50 prospects across the nation 3* and above.

In this season, out of that list I had one player in the top 25 of the Indy Elite camp.

I’ve yet to do a run with Duke but I’d imagine they have lots of players interested from day 1. Anecdotally from Cards play throughs and my own, if a prospect is interested from day 1 they will qualify regardless of GPA. Are there interested players you’re not including because of GPA?
DDSCB21 Let's Play - Chasing the career milestones of the legendary UCLA coach John Wooden - Chasing Wooden Playlist --> https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIVfxNP1tD6mNwqSbZK-ZtxC5ntyd1uiq
TripLykely

Postby Timmuh » Thu May 06, 2021 2:59 pm

Yeah I have to cut out anyone with a GPA below 3.3. If I land a kid at 3.2 there is a good chance in February his SAT doesn’t reach the 1100 requirement and I lose him.

I pushed through recruiting.

Going to all camps with all kids at 3* or about that had a 3.3 GPA or higher…

11 total kids ranked as 25 or higher in one of the camps.

3 kids ranked as 10 or higher in a camp

1 of the kids wanted starter minutes

I had to offer the other two before knowing any personality traits and only landed the one.

This is going to be really hard
Timmuh

Postby Timmuh » Thu May 06, 2021 3:01 pm

Is there anyway to drop a school to an A academic instead of A+
Timmuh

Postby TripLykely » Thu May 06, 2021 3:28 pm

That’s what’s confusing me. In my runs, albeit not with an A+ requirement, was players who showed interest from day 1 of recruiting (June 26) will pass the SAT for your school even if their GPA shows they wouldn’t.

A player with no interest day 1 will need a very high GPA but players who show interest you shouldn’t need to worry. How many players/seasons have you missed on a recruit who was interested from day 1 but had a sub 3.3?
DDSCB21 Let's Play - Chasing the career milestones of the legendary UCLA coach John Wooden - Chasing Wooden Playlist --> https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIVfxNP1tD6mNwqSbZK-ZtxC5ntyd1uiq
TripLykely

Postby Timmuh » Thu May 06, 2021 3:37 pm

I was on my second season recruiting. Year one I had a 3.2 recruit that missed and I lost him.

I then looked at all the recruits and saw that a few at 3.2, 3.1 and 3.0 did clear the 1100 barrier but most did not
Timmuh

Postby Wayne23 » Thu May 06, 2021 3:46 pm

I've coached at Harvard, Duke, and other high academic schools. Yes, the pool is small, but I did okay. Persistence helps.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby TripLykely » Thu May 06, 2021 4:05 pm

Wayne23 wrote:I've coached at Harvard, Duke, and other high academic schools. Yes, the pool is small, but I did okay. Persistence helps.

I'd expect the pool to be smaller, what I'm confused about is the day 1 interest in relation to qualifying.

Timmuh wrote:I was on my second season recruiting. Year one I had a 3.2 recruit that missed and I lost him.

I then looked at all the recruits and saw that a few at 3.2, 3.1 and 3.0 did clear the 1100 barrier but most did not

Was that 3.2 recruit interested in Duke from day 1 of recruiting?

I can't remember the exact GPA but in my Wisconsin run anyone not interested from day 1 who was below that mark would not qualify; players who were short of the GPA but interested from day 1 did end up passing the SAT - every time I've tested it. Cards from GM games talks about this every stream he does, that's why I'm so confused. Of course the pool should be smaller, but Duke obviously has lots of players interested and it seems counter intuitive for the game balancing to put a team like Duke at a disadvantage long term.
Last edited by TripLykely on Thu May 06, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TripLykely

Postby Timmuh » Thu May 06, 2021 4:09 pm

I’ll check on that in the following year
Timmuh

Postby Timmuh » Thu May 06, 2021 7:04 pm

So I targeted a few players below 3.3 who started with interest.

One of the players…at 3.1 committed and signed their letter of intent. Up to this point…I’ve only had players drop if they don’t sign that initial opportunity. So it seems you may be correct.
Timmuh

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2021 General Discussion