Name database

Name database

Postby LloydLungs » Fri May 07, 2021 10:12 am

I had DDSCB20 and adjusted the player name generation database to add a whole bunch of names and change name frequencies. Is there any easy way to transfer JUST that adjusted name database from 20 into 21?
LloydLungs

Re: Name database

Postby Chris » Fri May 07, 2021 11:40 am

LloydLungs wrote:I had DDSCB20 and adjusted the player name generation database to add a whole bunch of names and change name frequencies. Is there any easy way to transfer JUST that adjusted name database from 20 into 21?

I love that you did this.. I really want to see the North American name database expanded for LastName and FirstName.. our two best players in our first year simulation league had the last name Brown. We need to shake it up a bit
Chris

Postby LloydLungs » Fri May 07, 2021 12:02 pm

Chris wrote:I love that you did this.. I really want to see the North American name database expanded for LastName and FirstName.. our two best players in our first year simulation league had the last name Brown. We need to shake it up a bit

Yeah, I just about doubled the amount of last names in the database and slightly reduced the frequency of the more common names like Brown/Smith/Jones/etc. It still needs some work honestly, but it's better than it was.

I think I figured out how to Export a table from a CSV file from 20 over to 21. I hope anyway. Haven't tried it out yet.
LloydLungs

Postby Chris » Fri May 07, 2021 12:56 pm

LloydLungs wrote:
Chris wrote:I love that you did this.. I really want to see the North American name database expanded for LastName and FirstName.. our two best players in our first year simulation league had the last name Brown. We need to shake it up a bit

Yeah, I just about doubled the amount of last names in the database and slightly reduced the frequency of the more common names like Brown/Smith/Jones/etc. It still needs some work honestly, but it's better than it was.

I think I figured out how to Export a table from a CSV file from 20 over to 21. I hope anyway. Haven't tried it out yet.

What are the values where this could be edited? I'm very interested in doing this
Chris

Postby LloydLungs » Fri May 07, 2021 1:11 pm

Chris wrote:What are the values where this could be edited? I'm very interested in doing this

Well, I just downloaded DB Browser, and once in that program, Open Database... then went into DDSCB21 -> app -> data -> default.db, and selected Browse Data from within the program. From there you get a drop-down menu of Tables that includes "USFirstName" and "USLastName." From there you can just add records and edit the frequency of records.

I'm sure there's other ways to do it but that's what I did.
LloydLungs

Postby Chris » Fri May 07, 2021 2:02 pm

LloydLungs wrote:
Chris wrote:What are the values where this could be edited? I'm very interested in doing this

Well, I just downloaded DB Browser, and once in that program, Open Database... then went into DDSCB21 -> app -> data -> default.db, and selected Browse Data from within the program. From there you get a drop-down menu of Tables that includes "USFirstName" and "USLastName." From there you can just add records and edit the frequency of records.

I'm sure there's other ways to do it but that's what I did.

I'd be interested to see the kind of frequency values you determined for what you ended up enjoying more
Chris

Postby LloydLungs » Fri May 07, 2021 2:09 pm

Chris wrote:I'd be interested to see the kind of frequency values you determined for what you ended up enjoying more

Well, there wasn't too much to it. Like I said, I roughly doubled the number of last names (added some first names also). Most of them I only assigned a frequency of 1, but simply adding any names at all decreases the frequency of the Smith/Jones/Brown type names by a little bit. Then I also sorted by most popular names, and anything over frequency of 20, I knocked down by about 5-10. I wasn't scientific about it, it was pretty scattershot but it helped some.

It's definitely improved the name generation. Ideally you'd get kind of an OOTP-type database which pretty much includes every last name there is, but that's an ungodly amount of work so this probably suffices for me.
LloydLungs

Postby Chris » Fri May 07, 2021 2:32 pm

LloydLungs wrote:
Chris wrote:I'd be interested to see the kind of frequency values you determined for what you ended up enjoying more

Well, there wasn't too much to it. Like I said, I roughly doubled the number of last names (added some first names also). Most of them I only assigned a frequency of 1, but simply adding any names at all decreases the frequency of the Smith/Jones/Brown type names by a little bit. Then I also sorted by most popular names, and anything over frequency of 20, I knocked down by about 5-10. I wasn't scientific about it, it was pretty scattershot but it helped some.

It's definitely improved the name generation. Ideally you'd get kind of an OOTP-type database which pretty much includes every last name there is, but that's an ungodly amount of work so this probably suffices for me.

Yeah I was going to use this ootp thread to begin my North American work.. https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=313685

All I can say is I bow down to you. If you figure out how to export import , I want this default.db lol .. I'll also play around a bit for our multi player league CBGM in cb21
Chris

Postby Chris » Sat May 08, 2021 10:40 am

LloydLungs wrote:

Did you just add rows at the very end or did you try to get the ID #'s in sync after you inserted rows?
Chris

Postby LloydLungs » Sat May 08, 2021 5:18 pm

Chris wrote:Did you just add rows at the very end or did you try to get the ID #'s in sync after you inserted rows?

Actually I'm fuzzy on this, I remember the ID #s being out of sync at some point and now they're in sync. I'm not really sure I remember what I did. I know I'll type in the ID # manually now. Sorry I'm not more help on this one. I did most of this about a year ago.
LloydLungs

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2021 General Discussion