Way Too Early 2022 Wishlist

Re: Way Too Early 2022 Wishlist

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:10 pm

That would work for me; not sure about the original poster.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby jfsolo23 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:52 pm

PointGuard wrote:
jfsolo23 wrote:Got to add just a few more, sorry.

List the players height in the Starting Lineups splash screen

List the players position in the box score

Players who finish in the top 25 in the Regional and National camps should never be players who ever drop 100 plus spots in the rankings, IMO.

jfsolo: Before I add these, a few questions for you to help me better understand the reasons for your suggestions:

What does adding the height of the players in that screen really add? Does it help you make game decisions? I mean, do you really pay all that much attention to that splash screen as far as really doing anything related to gameplay? I'm asking this because I review the opponent's team...stats/attributes/stars, etc...before even opening the 2D game. It sounds as though you and possibly others do things differently. And to be honest, adjusting my plan due to an opponent players height isn't really something I do...although again, possibly you and others do??? But again, if I were using height to make adjustments, I would do so during my pre-game review of the opponent, not at the splash screen stage.

What position should be listed in the box score...if a player identified as a SG is used as a PG?; if a player plays multiple positions during a game, e.g. a substitute who plays some at PF, some at C and some at SF during the same game?; a starter at SF ends up playing most of the game at SG?

I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention, but is that kind of a drop still occurring since Gary tightened up the recruit rankings changes in CB2021? If it is, could it be that a particular recruit who was in the top 25 just had a tremendous camp but wasn't that good before or after the camp? Or could it just be camp evaluation error by the entity picking the top 25?

If the height and position adds are anything more than a quick fix, then it's not a big deal as I just see them as small QoL improvements. Even though I do look at the rosters of the opponent beforehand, seeing it on the splash screen would give a little reminder for things like remembering to swap the defensive assignments of my two guards so that a smaller guard isn't defending a guy 5 inches taller than him. With the box score, I would list their OG position even though they might play a position in the game up or down one from that, it's really just get a quick read of what positions did well for the opponent off the bench, even though it can be somewhat inferred from the stats. As I said if they aren't something that are super easy(relatively speaking of course) to add then it's no big deal.

Concerning the camp standouts, as an example I have a player who finished in the top 25 in the National and the regional camp, and he dropped 113 spots. Now I know that he will still be really good when he gets to campus, but IMO a player did well at those camps would be given the benefit of the doubt during the rest of the season by evaluators, more than likely going way up in the ratings, and even if he struggled in the regular season after the camps, not dropping too much as a result. It may not be right way to evaluate, but camps do give a disproportional bump to the rankings of players, IMO.
jfsolo23

Postby PointGuard » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:09 pm

Thanks, jsolo and Wayne, for your thoughts. It's helped me understand WHAT you want and more importantly WHY.

I've added all three suggestions with some of your subsequent thoughts.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:28 pm

Do you feel switching a taller defender so there's not so much of a height mismatch has worked well? I know there's no way to absolutely know, but what's been your impression? Have you consistently been able to tamp down a high scorer by doing this? I typically use double-teaming, but it's very much a hit-and-miss as far as being successful.

If I have the time, I'd like to play out the same game multiple times against an opponent with a star, high-scoring SG who is TALLER than normal...5 times using my shorter SG and 5 times using my taller SF defending that star SG...and see if there is an appreciable difference in how that player scores.

And also maybe do the same multiple iterations of a game to determine if there is an appreciable difference when using double-teaming and NOT using double-teaming against a high scoring player on the opposition.

Not sure when I'll get the time to actually play out [not sim] all that many games just to test this, though.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:34 pm

I'd love to see what you come up with. I pay exactly zero attention to height but I have no idea if that's a good strategy. I double team occasionally, but have always thought pressing was more effective. But I have no data to back this up. Actually PG, if you don't get to this in the next week and a half, the semester is almost over and I'll have a few weeks with lots of free time, so jog my memory and maybe I can give it a shot. If you get to it first or if you're hot to do it, that's fine, too. It might even make some sense for two different players to take it on.
Wayne23

Postby PointGuard » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:59 pm

Wayne, I agree that the more people who run that type of test the better...we all might do it slightly differently, but the more iterations, the better to see if there is a pattern.

For the HEIGHT runs, I guess the DEF ratings for the two different defenders would have to be fairly similar...not one having a DEF of 3 and the other having a DEF of 6. Maybe either the same or just a single number difference for DEF rating. For the test, it would also be best to run man-to-man defense the ENTIRE game...no zone defense.

IF I do this, I'll try to have the opponent be a SG who is about 6'5" and scores about 20 ppg and the defending SG be 6'1" or so...and then for the other runs use a SF who is 6'6" or so to guard the high-scorer. Guess I'd have to also make sure when subs come in that about the same size defender as the starter I was using is used against the high-scorer.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:30 pm

Makes sense
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:54 pm

Here's one. When a guy is hurt and I take away all of his minutes and put him at the bottom of the depth chart, HOW TF does he play 16 minutes! I play games out but at max speed unless it's close at the end. This makes me crazy. Obviously the guy shouldn't be playing, and equally obviously, he's hurting the team when he IS playing.
Wayne23

Postby PointGuard » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:48 am

Hey Wayne, I THINK that anyone within the top 13 (or maybe it's the top 12) on your depth chart MAY be put in by the AI if you're simming even if they're injured....the AI thinks guys should be men and not wimp out because they're injured. The top 12 or 13 are suited up and on the bench ready to be put into the fray by the AI.

I notice that my AI controlled opponents with injured players have them on the court...and sometimes they play well and sometimes they suck.

If you're simming and you want be be SURE a guy won't play, drop him down to the 14th or 15th position on your depth chart. If you've cut your walk ons that may be the problem...you don't have a 14th and 15th position on your depth chart, so when you sim the AI looks at all your 13 available players as possibilities to put on the court.

I have no idea why the AI would play a guy 16 minutes who has no minutes on your depth chart. That actually sounds like something you should report to Gary and send him your files so he can take a look at it.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby 23Zone » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:22 pm

A couple of things I would like to see...

I have asked for this a few times in the past but it hasn't made the cut yet... I would like to see historical leaders for scoring average, rebounding average etc. instead of just points and rebounds kept in history. Of course if you do that you would have to limit it to players that played in X amount of games per season.

The historical players list is nice but I would like to see the players by their total stats in addition to them being listed by season.

It would be great to have an all-time team or just list of great players for each school, conference and the whole association. It could be an all-time team or just like a retired numbers list of players. Having their composite stats for their time in college list there as well would be great (with averages of course).

Historical recruiting class listing for teams so you can go back and see the players you recruited and how they were rated. It would be interesting to be see how your individual ratings for a player looked versus how the players ended up performing.

An easier way to change the prestige of the teams. I do the file download and edit them to make changes which isn't real difficult but could it just be made able to be edited in the normal team screen?

Thats all I can think of for now... will probably think of some more later as I play the game.
23Zone

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2021 General Discussion