Am I missing something with morale management?

Am I missing something with morale management?

Postby hansmellman » Thu May 13, 2021 11:13 am

So I've played about 4 seasons now across two schools, currently at Colorado. I had a great first seasons meeting all 5 of my goals, however two of my starters transferred out at the end of the season citing 'poor relationship with coach' despite me not having received any incident reports throughout the whole season.

I think nothing of it and look forward to welcoming in the new class I'd recruited....Just finished that season and every single one of my starters and bench players has a yellow face marker on the dashboard. The only people who are green are walk on players that i've basically ignored and a transfer who hasnt played all season.

Checking their individual player cards are as follows:
Starting SG - Coach Rel 47%/Team Rel 29%
Starting SF - Coach Rel 27%/ Team Rel 1%
Starting C - Coach Rel 38% / Team Rel 20%

My rotation guys arent even that fussed about their minutes and all of their relationship statuses are down too. Like I said, the contrast is players who havent played are all basically 100%.

I apologise If im missing something obvious here but if anyone can shed any light on why this might be happening that would be great, as I dont wanna keep losing players every year to transfers without obvious causes, unless this is just a feature of the game to reflect real life!

Thanks!
hansmellman

Re: Am I missing something with morale management?

Postby PointGuard » Thu May 13, 2021 8:44 pm

Rather strange that "all" your players' mood ratings are yellow and have poor relationships with teammates and coaches. I've never seen that occur. But having a player or two or maybe even 3 or 4 whose mood rating is yellow or even red isn't all that unusual. Incoming freshman players usually come in with low/mid level relationships which makes sense...they need to get to know players and coaches and then their ratings will slowly improve.

What are the personality ratings for your players with low relationship levels? Players who are a disruptive force or not friendly are likely to not be happy with their teammates and/or coaches...and they MAY affect other players' moods as well. When recruiting be sure to check "notes" for the recruits you are considering...if they cause problems for the HS coach, they are likely to do the same if they get on your team. If you go after transfer players with bad personalities, you're likely to infuse your team with a cancer.

What is your head coach's rating for discipline? If it differs dramatically from what a player wants, that player may get unhappy.

When you get emails indicating players are causing problems, are you addressing that? If not, some players may get upset that you're letting guys get away with causing problems.

Has your team been losing a LOT or losing to teams you should have beaten? That can make some players upset.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby hansmellman » Fri May 14, 2021 3:34 am

Thanks for the response PG.

Yeah as I say it piqued my interest because It was purely players who had been involved in playing, none of the walk on's or transferred player were affected. I had noticed that about Freshman and figured that would pick up as the season went on.

So at the end of the season 3 players transferred out, citing 'didn't like other players' turns out all 3 of these players had negative personalities like disruptive force and not friendly so I figured that could be it, I've now paid special attention to that, even if they've performed well in the camps it's not worth me taking the punt on them unless they're MVP level players for the affect it seems to have on the rest of my team.

My HC discipline is set to 'High' and i do always check what their desired level if in the recruitment questions for guys i'm interested in. That was the strange thing about last season that was confusing me, I hadn't actually had any team incidents whatsoever so couldn't understand why the morale was tanked but I'm hoping it was due to those 3 players with bad attitudes. I've made sure that everyone has good personalities now, despite the AI trying to give me a couple of half star walk on bad apples lol.

Our results had been pretty good, 15 win season, 2nd round of the CIT knockout (I am not familiar with College and so am still trying to understand all the March Madness and tournament structure/prestige!!). We even had a few upsets where we beat higher ranked teams and at one point were #25 ourselves (albeit briefly).

I'll see how this season goes with nothing but good guys on the team!
hansmellman

Postby hansmellman » Fri May 14, 2021 11:00 am

Follow up, starting center is still looking like this, we've finished 2nd in the conference and had some great results. No emails about anything going on.

https://imgur.com/a/AVdc3UH
hansmellman

Postby TripLykely » Fri May 14, 2021 1:55 pm

hansmellman wrote:Follow up, starting center is still looking like this, we've finished 2nd in the conference and had some great results. No emails about anything going on.

https://imgur.com/a/AVdc3UH

Does he start? I may be mistaken but anecdotally if they 'Expect Starters Minutes' they want to average 30mpg or more, which can actually be a bit tricky to do with stamina. Generally, it may be universal but I'm not sure, your coach relationship is based on playing time.

Also worth noting you don't necessarily get emails when relationships are declining, only when there is an incident. One suggestion I made in my wishlist video I really hope to see is a green or red indicator arrow above the relationship bars to help with this.

Another anecdotal thing I've found, even if the relationship is really low (single digits) you can avoid a transfer by identifying and fixing the problem. For example a guy like your player who 'Expects Starters Minutes' has their coach relationship dip very low but you catch it during the season and bump playing time to 30+mpg. As long as the bar starts moving back up they won't transfer. Again this is anecdotal and there could be a threshold I haven't seen or remembered, but generally this seems correct.
DDSCB21 Let's Play - Chasing the career milestones of the legendary UCLA coach John Wooden - Chasing Wooden Playlist --> https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIVfxNP1tD6mNwqSbZK-ZtxC5ntyd1uiq
TripLykely

Postby hansmellman » Fri May 14, 2021 3:37 pm

Yeah he's pencilled in for 30 per game however just checking the player card for the last two seasons and when he was starter last year allocated at 30 mins per game he was only playing 24.5 for some reason. I sim the games instead of managing them out so perhaps that has something to do with this....strange!

Yeah perhaps some expansion/dynamic responses could be made to the morale system. I'd like to be able to call him and ask him whats up so I can attempt to rectify it.

I appreciate the advice man, I've enjoyed your posts/video. Just starting the YT save you've shared in the Gm Games discord too.
hansmellman

Postby PointGuard » Fri May 14, 2021 3:50 pm

Yes, playing time can definitely factor in for some players.

It's tough to give 30 mpg to most any player, whether simming or playing out your games. And even if you decide to do it, you then have to determine if it's really worth giving the guy 30 minutes just because he's a crybaby about it. Typically it means he's gonna be playing some when his energy level is in the red zone...and then would the fresh legs of a sub result in more points, more rebounds, better defense, fewer fouls, less chance of injury. Ahh, the life of a coach! :rolleyes:
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby hansmellman » Fri May 14, 2021 4:30 pm

The joys of a coach indeed! :D The way I am looking at it now is all I have to do is keep him happy until this next offseason, cos then he's onto his senior year and will be leaving anyway! So gotta look at the bigger picture!

I wonder, I have set his minutes at 30 but as I sim through all the games, sometimes I notice guys outside of my matrix playing a few minutes here and there and also guys minutes changing, will the AI only do this in line with the sub out fatigue settings? Because if this Center wants 30 minutes but doing that would exhaust him regularly, you'd think his morale wouldnt neccessarily take a hit in that case. If i was hooking him from games for tactical reasons it would be fair enough for him to get pissed off.

I'm starting to pay a bit more attention to players who want lots of playing time just so i can manage this better in the future, all part of the learning experience!
hansmellman

Postby PointGuard » Fri May 14, 2021 10:44 pm

I'm not sure 30 min. is a critical amount...I've not done an analysis and it's likely it varies amongst players.

Many things can probably affect what the AI does with respect to minutes played when you're simming games. Not only his energy level, but fouls (2 in the first half, 3 early in the 2nd half, 4 midway thru the 2nd half are all likely to get him some bench time), getting way ahead or way behind (particularly toward the end of the game), etc.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby TripLykely » Sat May 15, 2021 3:43 pm

PointGuard wrote:I'm not sure 30 min. is a critical amount...I've not done an analysis and it's likely it varies amongst players.

This is an important caveat. My statement was based on anecdotal experience, although I've now had several players who 'expect starters minutes' become happy once over 30mpg, I don't make that previous statement as fact. Given how recruiting and much of the game has shades of grey with no definitive answer, ie awesome campus visits/hope to see you on the court in-homes, one player vary well may have a different idea of what 'starters minutes' means. Definitely encourage anyone to test out my theorycrafting.
DDSCB21 Let's Play - Chasing the career milestones of the legendary UCLA coach John Wooden - Chasing Wooden Playlist --> https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIVfxNP1tD6mNwqSbZK-ZtxC5ntyd1uiq
TripLykely

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2021 General Discussion