Need a Strategy Primer

Need a Strategy Primer

Postby trianglemoon » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:50 am

Hello,

Brand new to DDS, and I'm not really sure what resources are out there. I'm mostly interested in the recruiting aspect of the game (I like the idea of assembling teams), but I'd like to at least know what I'm doing with respect to playing out the games.

Can someone either provide or direct me to some information on the proper scenarios to use which offenses and defenses? I'm kind of familiar with the terms, but not so much when they should be used.

Thanks so much!
trianglemoon

Re: Need a Strategy Primer

Postby mmjens » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:23 pm

you can see the type of offenseive sets and the type of players/skills that will best run it in the strategy section same for defense I pick 2 to 3 sets i want to run set the % to run and then leave the in game stuff to auto and recruit to what you want to run

when you take over a team run what they know and slowly change styles over a year or 2
mmjens

Postby trianglemoon » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:09 pm

Thank you.

I guess what I'm wanting to know, though, is why do I run a Triangle vs. a High Post? I'm sure it has to do with the talent of my players, but I'm guessing that an amazing Point Guard brings something different to the table (of strategies) than an awesome Center. Do I use High Post with a great PG? Great big men? etc.

Thanks again!
trianglemoon

Postby reme » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:09 pm

There is a drop down box on the strategy screen that gives you info about each type of off & def sets, including tips as to what type of player skills work best for them. That should help you decide what sets to run based on the skills of your players.
reme

Postby trianglemoon » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:29 pm

Thank you so much!

I hadn't changed that, because I thought it was going to alter the settings on that screen, like a template for style or something. Can't believe I missed that. That's exactly what I was looking for!
trianglemoon

Postby reme » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:36 pm

You're welcome. I wasn't sure about that menu box either when i first saw it.
Glad this helped you.
reme

Postby Billdozer » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:43 am

I would like to add that I think it is important to track the stats and be aware that the ratings of your players are from the scout so they might not be accurate. If your Centers have a bad assist to turnover ratio, maybe think about reducing or moving away from Princeton. If your guards are missing a lot of 3 pointers, maybe reduce or move away from Triangle and select an offense that moves the guards off the 3 point line.

In general I like to run 2 offensive sets with the offensive freedom near 50%. On defense I like to use mostly man-man with one zone defense, and one type of full court press. I also like to find a way to practice against each zone 10% of the time at practice. In my experience I always seem to take tons of 3 pointers against a 2-3 zone and miss a lot of them if I only practice against the 2-3 zone 5%.
Billdozer

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2021 General Discussion