completely lost in game

completely lost in game

Postby Steppdawg » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:42 am

Hello all. I recently purchased DDSCB about a month ago when I finally switched from Mac. I was so excited after watching it forever as I personally coach basketball and love the game. I figured I'd be slow coming around to learning the game, but I have became increasingly frustrated with not knowing what to do. I've grasped recruiting and I do well with it, but regardless I cant seem to win. I can literally edit my coach to be 100 overall and make my assistants 100 overall and simulate 4 seasons and have terrible seasons. When I try to coach and not simulate, I get so annoyed because I cant figure out which set I need to run, or what I need to adjust with my team or anything. I love the idea of the game, but I find it depressing that theres like no huge guide on learning the game and the many concepts behind it. I have watched many of the recommended dynasties on youtube, but i feel that theyre very superficial in terms of what they offer for someone wanting to learn as much as possible about the game to be able to be a "good coach" and have "good teams". Anyone have any other resources out there? Thanks!
Steppdawg

Re: completely lost in game

Postby PointGuard » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:32 pm

There definitely is a learning curve for DDSCB. That's because there is no specific recipe for playing the game. There are many different ways to play it and many nuances that you just sort of learn as you play and replay it. What I like best about the game is that it's a learn and relearn as you go type of game.
That's what keeps it from being a boring game that you can master easily.

But I'm sorry to hear that you're frustrated. Here's some initial suggestions as you begin learning the game:

-Within the game go to the hamburger icon (3 horizontal bars in upper left corner) and go to HELP, then click on "Help Guide" and read through the guide.
-Coach initially at a strong program...one that is likely to do well as you learn the game.
-Put recruiting on "Easy" as you develop your recruiting skills.
-Hire as good assistant coaches as you can within your budget leaving about $30K to $50K for recruiting...maybe substantially more since you initially be at a good school which likely will have a big budget. Make sure your assistant coaches primary roles match their strongest skill.
-Read the descriptions that are provided within the game for the different offensive and defensive sets. Then look at your players skill levels (in such things as passing, ball handling, inside and outside shooting, rebounding, etc...and try selecting 2 offensive sets that you think match up well with your players skills and man-to-man defense and possibly one zone defense. Set reasonable percentages of usage (that you like) for each of your selected sets. Then set your practice plan to practice each of those sets.
-Buy your regional scouting report and the national scouting report. If you have a big enough recruiting budget, you can buy more regional reports and/or buy the gold report (in CB2021 it's called something else, but I can't recall the new name and always think of it within my mind as the gold report).
-Recruit aggressively and persistently each and every week.
-In Sept and Oct make the best use of "Home Visits" to get verbal commitments from the recruits you have want and in which you've created good levels of interest.
-When playing out games, initially set the offense and defense to "auto" so that the game uses the sets you've practiced in approximate usage to that which you've set. When learning the game, I'd suggest not overcoaching...you have done your coaching already in how you picked your sets and set their percentages and how you've had your players practice those sets. Later, when you've learned the game and achieved some success, you can be more anal about coaching within gameplay if you want.
-Experiment and keep track of what works for you and what doesn't...and what you like to do within the game so that you can tailor your coaching as you proceed through some seasons.
-Ask questions on this forum and search/read since many aspects of the game have been discussed here already.

Others may provide you with much better advice. But the main thing is to be patient and just slowly learn the game and what works for YOU...Everyone plays it differently and that's what makes it such a great game. Have FUN!
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Re: completely lost in game

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:52 pm

PointGuard knows what he is talking about. I agree with all of his suggestions.
Let me emphasize: "set reasonable percentages of usage (that you like) for each of your selected sets. Then set your practice plan to practice each of those sets." It is VITAL that practice and % of usage match each other as closely as possible.
I LOVE this game. I don't have time to play right now (Work, day care for the grandchildren...) but I've been playing since Spring of 2007 and I continue to find new ways to challenge myself with the game. I look forward to playing again soon.
And keep asking. PointGuard and I check the Forum regularly and we will be happy to respond to your questions; some other guys might, as well. Stay with the game and before long you'll figure out what works best for you. And yes, start with a top notch program while you're learning.
Good luck!
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2021 General Discussion