Gap in scholarships

Gap in scholarships

Postby mgoblue71 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:55 pm

First off, let me say that I absolutely LOVE this game. Wish I had purchased on Steam to see my hours played, but sure it's nearing the thousands at this point! Much appreciated what the developers do for what I imagine is a smaller market of gamers.

After many seasons of sims, I've noticed that there is a gap year-to-year in the scholarship situation for a program (typically an elite program, where players leaving early for the draft has an impact).

When I lose two players to the draft, I will be forced to be out of two scholarship players in the next year. This is no longer realistic in NCAA as teams will recruit enough, knowing they'll lose those players OR address the scholarship situation with the transfer portal. If a few players decide to transfer, the same thing occurs and I am out of that scholarship for the upcoming season. Even when filling the spot with the transfer portal, those players are not eligible next season (which we all know is no longer the case in real life).

My suggestion would be to allow us to recruit beyond our scholarship number and/or make player transfers eligible the next season (maybe there's a random 5% chance they end up in-eligible for some reason). Over-recruiting resulting in cutting a scholarship player should receive a pretty substantial hit to team prestige/maybe a detriment to coach reputation too. Maybe too, the senior who is a RS Senior is an option to if you want to allow his scholarship for the 5th year.

All of this, I imagine, requires some sort of roster check & cut point during the offseason.
mgoblue71

Re: Gap in scholarships

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:23 pm

Glad you're enjoying the game. I've been playing it since March of 2007, and there are so many different ways to run an association that I have never tired of it.
I believe that when a player goes pro that opens up a scholarship for you, so you can recruit in the Spring, March, I think it is. Save some $, and when you get to that point in the season see if I'm right.
PointGuard will be along in a while and he'll definitely have better info on this for you.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Re: Gap in scholarships

Postby PointGuard » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:02 pm

Yeah, 3 options when a player of yours declares early for the pros:

1. As Wayne said with DDSCB2021 (wasn't the case in earlier versions), that immediately frees up a scholarship so you can try to latch onto a recruit in late March or early April. (I just did this in my present association/dynasty).
2. If you don't do that, you can go after a transfer player during the transfer sessions when the game goes to the next year.
3. If you don't do either of these, you'll have one more scholarship to offer during the coming year's recruiting (of course, in that case the spot will be filled by a walkon for the coming season).
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2021 General Discussion