Feedback Wall of Text

Feedback Wall of Text

Postby JoFleecy » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:31 am

Sorry in advance if posted in wrong forum.
First of all I absolutely love the game. I'm super addicted which is what has given me this abundance of feedback on how the game could be even better. My background, I used to make dynasty reports on college hoops 2k8 10 years ago, played 1000s of hours of sims like basketballgm and football manager. I'm your market! :D lol. I've bought this game every year and either never really dived in or refunded it quickly. This year was different and I was able to get the magic. It's always like that with the best sim games, I find. I just wanted to provide these notes of my gripes, some remote bugs I've found, and what I think could be done better. It's almost all UI-stuff, information availability. Some of it you might find super nitpicky, some of it maybe I'm just dumb.. but..feedbacks feedback right! In my opinion, most of this stuff is easily achievable and not far-out suggestions in any way.

Serious Concerns / Bugs

-It took me many live games before I figured out that you have to turn on auto pause on every stop in order to do subs on a deadball. I was attempting to pause exactly on deadballs and getting really frustrated. The entire sub process could be made easier with drop downs that you can interact with mid-game-screen

-The calling recruits thing where they say um idk over and over is a click-fest nightmare. also while on a call calling it "Pitch Academics" is EXTREMELY unintuitive when you are not pitching, you are like, probing. even simply "Ask about Academics" would be more immediately clear to the player what its doing.

-A game-engine bug for me at least. if you set your defense to a zone defense, and then back to auto-select, it never actually goes back to auto-select. you have to manually select man-to-man and zones for the rest of the game, or else it will just be stuck on the last defense you play, forever.

-Another game engine bug? The score is 79-80, I'm down, 0:05 left in the 4th. The team advances the ball up to the half court, 0:04 in the 4th when the timeout is called. The team totally would've taken a shot if I hadn't called a timeout. The ball is inbounded, and the game abruptly ends. No player movement, just 0:04 to 0:00 immediately. You can imagine how upset I was. This has happened to me twice now in similar scenarios (won't happen a third as I will just let them play I guess)

-Had a recruit come in that my scouts got wrong. I kept him coming off the bench, he expected starter minutes. his mood quickly declined to a red face. I was totally fine with it til I found out he's actually the best player on my team. later in the season, I promote him to starter after seeing how good he is really on the floor. his minutes at the end of the season (starting at 12mpg off bench) ended up at 20mpg. at the beginning of the next season he is still 20% coach relation and unhappy. it would be helpful if I could text the player, promise him increased minutes, then see those results reflected in his mood when I make him a near 30 minute starter for the last 15 games.

-Took me way too long to find the drop-down bar in the top right of the Insights page. so much useful information hidden from me :( . see pic

-For staff....make it clear somehow that they will vanish to free agency if you don't negotiate with them in the staff page. I know its like duh of course they do, but I feel like the game should tell you at some point to alert you that this could happen (cuz it totally happened to me lol :p )

-Ask for commissioner approval before doing an automated conference move. idk why I just think the player should have sign-off over these occurrences. in my game, Texas Southern won the SWAC tournament in 2022 and 2025. with a team prestige of 22, they were accepted into the Big 12. wtf? also found a UI bug with this, if you go to Texas Southern's team history and look at conference champions, the game assumes they won the Big 12 in 22 and 25, not the SWAC. I would have never noticed this, probably never would have known they were contending to move up conferences. lets say they win SWAC 25, 26, 27. the game asks me every year if I want to approve the promotion. I decline until the 27 win as the commissioner of my fantasy league, and they go to the big 12. my 2 cents there. I want auto conference movement, but I want final approval

Btw, props where props due, the basketball sim game itself is fantastic. and as a coach during the game, I feel impactful to the appropriate degree on the simulation. like, I'm pretty sure u know but if it ever becomes possible for the game engine to be 3d in the way football manager is, thats when u blow up. thats like the main barrier of entry to the game IMO. you slog thru the first offseason figuring out recruiting, it takes a really long time, you finally get to your first game, and youre disappointed somehow by the UI. over time, I love it. but initially, it always instantly turned me off. the sim itself is gold. :D

Wishlist / Frivolities

-Player instructions for college. I know you can text them about shooting style but what about, drive and pass, etc. why show the entire floor shooting chart, if you can't influence whether they shoot 3's from the corner or from the top.

-Jersey number control (without going into commissioner edit mode), jersey retirement.... speaking of which I play some games where the opposing team will have multiple guys with the same number, dunno what youd do about it but thought id mention lol

-Mid-major poll missing...season predictions for each conference would be cool..had this in old console ncaa games

-When you get invited to a tournament, tell us in the email what region and what seed we got in case we skip the show. I just have to check every one til I find my bracket. the post season in general is just...messy. I have no helpful feedback there :confused:

-In a game where ur dealing with thousands of random names and shifting lists, the ability to simply right click a name and put a star next to it is very useful in sorting through these players

-On team recruit class page, itd be nice to have a year toggle and be able to show historical recruiting classes...same exact thing for schedule page. feels nice to have that kind of information so easily navigable (from basketballgm)

-I want to have sound but let me turn the volume like all the way down. I play lofi while I play as like the soundtrack and itd be nice to get some basketball noise in there, but the default volume is blaring.

-In the season recap screen of history, also in the coach history screen: show how the team performed in conference. show conference record next to the record like it is almost everywhere else and show tournament results (MAC Quarter Finals) next to Postseason results.

-In the team stats page, let me sort what players im currently viewing. let me see only guards, only forwards, sg/sf, similar to the drop down that is used for recruits on the recruiting page.

-Super small but give hotkey to start texting player, its like the only recruiting thing not there, see pic

-EFF stat missing from advanced stats page, see pic

-general question, the recruiting coach that scouts recruits, is that scouting lumped into his recruiting ability, or am I correct in assuming I need an assistant with high recruiting AND scouting? Also, what impacts the success of recruit campus visits? It seems seriously impactful for something idk if its random or not.

Thanks again for this fantastic game, I've been playing it non stop! Looking forward to feedback to my feedback. :cool:

EFF ^

Insights ^

Texting ^
JoFleecy

Re: Feedback Wall of Text

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:31 am

GREAT stuff!
"-The calling recruits thing where they say um idk over and over is a click-fest nightmare. also while on a call calling it "Pitch Academics" is EXTREMELY unintuitive when you are not pitching, you are like, probing. even simply "Ask about Academics" would be more immediately clear to the player what its doing." My #1 peeve. It's a total p.i.t.a.
Thanks for posting. PointGuard will check in at some point, I'm sure.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby PointGuard » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:37 pm

JoFleecy wrote:Wow, lots of suggestions. Good you've now given the game extensive play and are enjoying it. Here's what I did with regard to adding items to the Suggestion List:

-It took me many live games before I figured out that you have to turn on auto pause on every stop in order to do subs on a deadball. I was attempting to pause exactly on deadballs and getting really frustrated. The entire sub process could be made easier with drop downs that you can interact with mid-game-screen Maybe I'm misreading or not understanding what you're saying...but....you already CAN sub on dead balls with Auto Sub turned off. If you turn AutoSub on, the AI subs for you.

-The calling recruits thing where they say um idk over and over is a click-fest nightmare. also while on a call calling it "Pitch Academics" is EXTREMELY unintuitive when you are not pitching, you are like, probing. even simply "Ask about Academics" would be more immediately clear to the player what its doing. Added both of these, but I personally don't get a click-fest of IDK's when doing recruiting.

-A game-engine bug for me at least. if you set your defense to a zone defense, and then back to auto-select, it never actually goes back to auto-select. you have to manually select man-to-man and zones for the rest of the game, or else it will just be stuck on the last defense you play, forever. Added

-Another game engine bug? The score is 79-80, I'm down, 0:05 left in the 4th. The team advances the ball up to the half court, 0:04 in the 4th when the timeout is called. The team totally would've taken a shot if I hadn't called a timeout. The ball is inbounded, and the game abruptly ends. No player movement, just 0:04 to 0:00 immediately. You can imagine how upset I was. This has happened to me twice now in similar scenarios (won't happen a third as I will just let them play I guess) This hasn't happened for me personally, but since it has more than once for you, I added it.

-Had a recruit come in that my scouts got wrong. I kept him coming off the bench, he expected starter minutes. his mood quickly declined to a red face. I was totally fine with it til I found out he's actually the best player on my team. later in the season, I promote him to starter after seeing how good he is really on the floor. his minutes at the end of the season (starting at 12mpg off bench) ended up at 20mpg. at the beginning of the next season he is still 20% coach relation and unhappy. it would be helpful if I could text the player, promise him increased minutes, then see those results reflected in his mood when I make him a near 30 minute starter for the last 15 games. Good point, added.

-Took me way too long to find the drop-down bar in the top right of the Insights page. so much useful information hidden from me :( . see pic Added

-For staff....make it clear somehow that they will vanish to free agency if you don't negotiate with them in the staff page. I know its like duh of course they do, but I feel like the game should tell you at some point to alert you that this could happen (cuz it totally happened to me lol :p ) Isn't this just a part of your being the head coach...to keep track of your staff's contracts?

-Ask for commissioner approval before doing an automated conference move. idk why I just think the player should have sign-off over these occurrences. in my game, Texas Southern won the SWAC tournament in 2022 and 2025. with a team prestige of 22, they were accepted into the Big 12. wtf? also found a UI bug with this, if you go to Texas Southern's team history and look at conference champions, the game assumes they won the Big 12 in 22 and 25, not the SWAC. I would have never noticed this, probably never would have known they were contending to move up conferences. lets say they win SWAC 25, 26, 27. the game asks me every year if I want to approve the promotion. I decline until the 27 win as the commissioner of my fantasy league, and they go to the big 12. my 2 cents there. I want auto conference movement, but I want final approval Added

Btw, props where props due, the basketball sim game itself is fantastic. and as a coach during the game, I feel impactful to the appropriate degree on the simulation. like, I'm pretty sure u know but if it ever becomes possible for the game engine to be 3d in the way football manager is, thats when u blow up. thats like the main barrier of entry to the game IMO. you slog thru the first offseason figuring out recruiting, it takes a really long time, you finally get to your first game, and youre disappointed somehow by the UI. over time, I love it. but initially, it always instantly turned me off. the sim itself is gold. :D Added suggestion for 3D

Wishlist / Frivolities

-Player instructions for college. I know you can text them about shooting style but what about, drive and pass, etc. why show the entire floor shooting chart, if you can't influence whether they shoot 3's from the corner or from the top. You already can text them to "Drive more" but I added a suggestion to provide more options for changes in a player's approach to the game.

-Jersey number control (without going into commissioner edit mode), jersey retirement.... speaking of which I play some games where the opposing team will have multiple guys with the same number, dunno what youd do about it but thought id mention lol Added suggestion to ensure there are no double numbers on a team.

-Mid-major poll missing...season predictions for each conference would be cool..had this in old console ncaa games Not really sure what you're asking for...polls are designed to handle all Division I teams rather than having polls for high prestige, mid prestige (mid major), and low prestige programs. Don't know what you want re "season predictions".

-When you get invited to a tournament, tell us in the email what region and what seed we got in case we skip the show. I just have to check every one til I find my bracket. the post season in general is just...messy. I have no helpful feedback there :confused: Added suggestion to have email indicating not only that invited to tourney but which region and what seed.

-In a game where ur dealing with thousands of random names and shifting lists, the ability to simply right click a name and put a star next to it is very useful in sorting through these players Are you talking about recruiting lists? If so, what do you want beyond putting a player on your watch or call list and why?

-On team recruit class page, itd be nice to have a year toggle and be able to show historical recruiting classes...same exact thing for schedule page. feels nice to have that kind of information so easily navigable (from basketballgm) To be honest, I'm not sure what this really ADDS to the game

-I want to have sound but let me turn the volume like all the way down. I play lofi while I play as like the soundtrack and itd be nice to get some basketball noise in there, but the default volume is blaring. LOL...I don't play with sound at all for CB, but if I did, it's easy to turn volume down on my computer

-In the season recap screen of history, also in the coach history screen: show how the team performed in conference. show conference record next to the record like it is almost everywhere else and show tournament results (MAC Quarter Finals) next to Postseason results. Added suggestion to include column for Conference Record

-In the team stats page, let me sort what players im currently viewing. let me see only guards, only forwards, sg/sf, similar to the drop down that is used for recruits on the recruiting page. Each column on the Team Stats page can be sorted already...if yours presently isn't sorted by position, just click on "POS" and voila, it sorts

-Super small but give hotkey to start texting player, its like the only recruiting thing not there, see pic Added

-EFF stat missing from advanced stats page, see pic Added

-general question, the recruiting coach that scouts recruits, is that scouting lumped into his recruiting ability, or am I correct in assuming I need an assistant with high recruiting AND scouting? Also, what impacts the success of recruit campus visits? It seems seriously impactful for something idk if its random or not. I have my opinion about scouting for recruiting but it's just an opinion...I'll leave it to someone else who actually knows (e.g., Gary) to provide the correct answer to your question. As to what impacts campus visits, I just figure it's a combination of many things...location, weather, friends/family nearby, girls he sees on campus, academics, campus environment, training facilities, practice gym, players and staff he interacts with, lodging, food, nearby activities, etc, etc, etc,...hell, it could be just a comment someone makes to the recruit :D

Thanks again for this fantastic game, I've been playing it non stop! Looking forward to feedback to my feedback. :cool:

EFF ^

Insights ^

Texting ^
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:06 pm

Mid-major poll missing...season predictions for each conference would be cool..had this in old console ncaa games Not really sure what you're asking for...polls are designed to handle all Division I teams rather than having polls for high prestige, mid prestige (mid major), and low prestige programs. Don't know what you want re "season predictions".

Under "Polls and Media" each conference has a preseason prediction for how teams will finish in conference.

First, it's always good to get PG's take, and he's the guy who sends the suggestions to Gary.

Second, please keep your comments, suggestions, criticisms coming. I found these extremely on point!
Wayne23

Postby JoFleecy » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:14 pm

Thanks to everyone for reading, and thank you for adding so many to the suggestion list! I'm very happy to see so much notice and get some feedback for my feedback. To clarify, I've played the game now for about 40 hours, 6 seasons in. So keep in mind this is coming from a noob lol. Currently on my 5th season of going either 10-10 or 9-11 with NIU in the MAC. Really struggling to make progress with prestige but I'm just waiting as ratings are going up so I can escape to go be an assistant in a power conference even at this point. On all Normal difficulties, I have never gone below 100% board confidence. But at the same time I feel kind of struggling. Great game to try and figure out why though.

PointGuard wrote:Maybe I'm misreading or not understanding what you're saying...but....you already CAN sub on dead balls with Auto Sub turned off. If you turn AutoSub on, the AI subs for you.
-I'm saying that the setting "Pause at every deadball" is necessary in order to manually do subs, in my user experience. Trying to time it even on the slowest play setting is impossible. Which is fine once you know that. Some of my suggestions aren't for me but for future people. It took me a while to figure out substitutions, to the point that I just said to hell with live games when my bench players would frustate me and I couldn't sub them out manually, knew I should be able to, and couldn't figure out why for a while. The pause-on-deadball trick was a revelation lol. Maybe I'm dumb but if I'm dumb a lot of other people are going to be that play this and get pissed off at the substitution system, when it could be 5 dropdown bars on the side of UI job done.

This hasn't happened for me personally, but since it has more than once for you, I added it.
-Thank you. I will now add to this my frustrations with late game situations where my team needs to intentionally foul. I had a situation today, after posting, where there was about 20 seconds on the clock with the opposing team with the ball, and they just dribble it out to 0 with my players never intentionally fouling. I don't think that's happened more than once. Well, it has certainly happened, but usually just with 4 seconds. Which still sucks big time. But I can understand 4 seconds I guess if I imagine really hard.
Unfortunately in my opinion, the time of the game where being the coach in the live-sim is supposed to be most impactful in theory, I find almost always results in frustration. IDK what it is about these late game situations. Maybe I am very unlucky, a very bad coach, my players are very dumb, or whatever combination lol.

Are you talking about recruiting lists? If so, what do you want beyond putting a player on your watch or call list and why?
-So here my example is: I'm all out of live-game-scouts for the week. I have another 6 SF's that I need to live scout. Maybe next week is the last week I can live scout. If I could just right click the name, boom, now I know which of those 3 I want to scout next week. I guess it's really small, but so are most of my suggestions. The watch list is fine but I personally tend to use it for players I'm really not too interested in until maybe post season recruiting if at all, because I'm not spending money on them on my call list. What I'm personally searching for here is a very easy way to sort players within sorted players. But it could be used for a multitude of reasons.
Another example, star-marking players on opposing teams that you like and want to watch their career. Thinking on it, I believe most sport management games have some sort of system like this in play. You could go so far as to expand the system and add somewhere for a list of Favorites for coaches, teams, conferences, tournaments, anything with text you want to star, for easy future reference.

LOL...I don't play with sound at all for CB, but if I did, it's easy to turn volume down on my computer
-I don't presently either, but I think it's just weird to not be able to adjust volume if you have sound, I understand what you're saying though. If I turn my volume down on my computer then my music turns down, right? This will become more of an issue if 3D is ever a thing.

Each column on the Team Stats page can be sorted already...if yours presently isn't sorted by position, just click on "POS" and voila, it sorts
-Here I mean sorting to show only all point guards on screen. Only all forwards on screen, then I can more easily compare their general and advanced stats, when comparing players at positions or roles. You can do this with recruits but pretty much nowhere else.
JoFleecy

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:38 pm

The last 20 seconds or so of the game is a problem, and really, it always has been. This needs a fix big time.

Keep the comments coming!
Wayne23

Postby PointGuard » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:00 pm

JoFleecy: Sounds like you're getting the feel for the game...good. Re your idea about moving "up" to be asst at a high prestige school...do so if you want to try it, but be aware...your responsibilities and actions as an asst coach will be VERY limited and you will most likely see no or very little improvement in your coach ratings. You may want to consider just moving up to a more attractive head coaching job and keep doing that...you can continue to hop up the ladder that way. Or you may find it's better to just start a new association with the initial coach ratings that allow you to take a job at a higher level program. For some as they learn the game, they find they get a wider variety of experience and challenge by doing fairly short-lived associations with different set ups.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:23 pm

Dead Balls...OK, now I understand. We should probably have covered this in the DDSCB2021 Quick Guide, but didn't. Anyway, I will add your suggestion to the list, but I believe Gary is very careful about what he has on the 2D screen and not making it overly loaded with "stuff".

Agree with you and Wayne re late game management. This is something that always comes up during testing and has been improved from previous DDSCB versions, but I'll add it again to the list.

I'll add your suggestion for some sort of starring ability for recruits. A "fix" for you presently is to use the "Notepad" icon at the top of the screen and quickly jot down who your plans/needs and edit that as you proceed.

Volume>>> still laughing...I don't listen to music on my computer when playing so I guess I'm just not very sympathetic...sorry.

Team stats...I don't see the need for this...there are just 15 players on your team...and typically from 2-4 at each position. Sorting them by POS makes it very easy to compare players at the same positions...and SG's immediately follow PG's in the sorting, so if you want to compare all guards they're all together.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:31 pm

I agree about not taking an assistant job. There just isn't very much to do.

I also agree about associations of short duration while learning. This allows you to try all sorts of things, and that's a great way to learn a very deep, complex game.
Wayne23

Postby PointGuard » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:39 pm

FYI: My suspicion is that developing a detailed and realistic end-of-game strategy/management is a VERY difficult thing for Gary to program and implement. Not only does he have to do it so the human can use and take advantage of what can be done, but also the AI...and have the AI implement it in a realistic and fair way. But I think we need to continue working with Gary to try to improve this.

(And Wayne, I DO NOT want to hear your comments about not worrying about the AI...LOL)
Last edited by PointGuard on Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2021 General Discussion