SQLite editing

SQLite editing

Postby Callmetaternuts » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:09 pm

I feel bad for asking this. I did a search of all the forums and it seems multiple have had this issue and all have gotten it resolved, but no one ever posts the answer! They all just say "I figured it out"

So, for us newbies here, the question I have is as follows:

I open one of the database files/mods (I am using 04_import-cnfteams.....I forget who's mod it is, slybelle or NCAA something, my bad!)

I open database, open connection, and I open the Coaches - Data tab. I make a few edits to see if it will work. I click the checkmark to save.

Now what? If I export it, it won't let me return it to a .db file. If I save it and remove connection and then close SQLite, no changes are made. And I get a .db-shm file and a.db-wal file.

I can change all the data, but I have no idea how to take that product and save/export it so I can use it!!!

Help!!!! (Please!)
Callmetaternuts

Re: SQLite editing

Postby NCAAhoops » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:08 pm

I don't use SQLite but the extra files your seeing is the Write Ahead Log or the db-wal file and the db-shm (Shared Memory File) file that is where your changes are. To merge these files you must close the file properly. Not being familiar with SQLite I would assume this is in a menu? if not you must do it with a line command within the program
Maybe someone who uses the program can shed more light on how to do that within the program than I being I have not used it.
NCAAhoops

Postby Orsalak » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:50 pm

What interface are you using for SQLite? I took a quick look and it appears to have DLLs you can download, so not sure how you would use those. I did find a SQLite Browser that has an executable and that works for me, but it's definitely not the same interface I used on my old computer. If you tell me what you are using, I can try to download it and test it for you.

That said, I agree with NCAAhoops, it sounds like you aren't closing it correctly which may be leaving your updates uncommited. One option may be to execute a commit statement.
Orsalak

Postby jlemmen43 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:52 pm

Callmetaternuts wrote:I feel bad for asking this. I did a search of all the forums and it seems multiple have had this issue and all have gotten it resolved, but no one ever posts the answer! They all just say "I figured it out"

So, for us newbies here, the question I have is as follows:

I open one of the database files/mods (I am using 04_import-cnfteams.....I forget who's mod it is, slybelle or NCAA something, my bad!)

I open database, open connection, and I open the Coaches - Data tab. I make a few edits to see if it will work. I click the checkmark to save.

Now what? If I export it, it won't let me return it to a .db file. If I save it and remove connection and then close SQLite, no changes are made. And I get a .db-shm file and a.db-wal file.

I can change all the data, but I have no idea how to take that product and save/export it so I can use it!!!

Help!!!! (Please!)

You can take a table (coaches for example) and export it, but it's only taking a piece of the DB file and therefore makes no sense to export it as a DB. Youll want to export it as CSV text format. Then you can use Excel / OpenOffice/ LibreOffice (what I use), and make all the changes you want. Save it as the same CSV file and then click back on SQLite Coaches Table. You can import it back in a few different ways. Use the Import into Table method. Sometimes it works right away. Sometimes its delayed and you might have to click the Checkmark or Reload your DB for it to show. Or you can copy from the CSV file and paste into the Table. This usually creates an additional set or records which also may not show right away. But when it does, you'll need to delete the first 357 coaches and your new import will be right behind it.

I dunno if this is what you're stuck on or not? Lemme know if I can help further.
jlemmen43

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2021 General Discussion