Help me decide

Help me decide

Postby fatfish89 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:11 am

I am finally at a cross roads with my coach in my current playthrough. I wanted this guy to be a California kid and only take California coaching jobs, so far so good on that front. I have now turned around the programs at UC-San Diego and University of San Francisco and I have a job offer to take over the Cal Bears but my characters dream job is UCLA. The dilemma is do I stay at San Francisco and hope the UCLA job opens up someday, take the CAL job and stay there to big a legacy, or take the CAL job and jump ship the day the UCLA job opens up and be that kind of guy.
fatfish89

Re: Help me decide

Postby JoFleecy » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:17 am

How's the WAC doing? Maybe you could get San Francisco promoted, even. I might think about a goal like that before I move to Cal. But I understand the attraction of going to a power conference 100%. How successful has UCLA been while you've been with the other teams? You may just have to try and predict if you think the UCLA coach will get fired soon based on records. If they're doing well maybe you goto Cal and wait your turn at your dream team elite school.
JoFleecy

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:23 pm

I assume you have UCLA listed as your dream job. The best path if so is to take the Cal job and build that program. The more successful you are the more likely that UCLA will come calling at some point.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby fatfish89 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:02 pm

JoFleecy wrote:How's the WAC doing? Maybe you could get San Francisco promoted, even. I might think about a goal like that before I move to Cal. But I understand the attraction of going to a power conference 100%. How successful has UCLA been while you've been with the other teams? You may just have to try and predict if you think the UCLA coach will get fired soon based on records. If they're doing well maybe you goto Cal and wait your turn at your dream team elite school.

The WCC is doing well Gonzaga is a regular top 5 team and Saint Mary's is starting to be a regular in the top 25 and it think we had 4 teams in the NCAA tournament this previous year. I did look at the current UCLA coaches track record and unfortunately it looks like he is doing well, he is in season 6 about and he has had 20+ wins every year except one so unlikely he get fired but could retire as he is 66. Where as the CAL guy I would be replacing rarely had a winning record and a 20 win season only once in his 10 years there which makes me think it is a weak roster too. A Bad roster almost got me fired at San Francisco at one point because the coach had been recruiting 1 star players to a program that should target 3 and 4.

the biggest problem I see with the Cal job is the competition level will take an even bigger step forward and technically my character still needs to develop his Offensive and Defensive stats. To be fair idk how important those are in the game's calculations but it looks like the top coaches are very high in those attributes
fatfish89

Postby fatfish89 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:11 am

so an update: I stayed at San Francisco for a couple more years racked up some more 20+ win seasons. UCLA eventually hired a new guy and I wasn't offered so when the California job came open again I took it. I am a few seasons in now the first two were rough because the coach before me was recruiting 1 and 2 star guys to play in the PAC12. I eventually landed a good SG that second year who finished his career with 3 all conference team nods and lead the team 2 NCAA tournament appearances. He also became my first drafted player. I may stay at California because at the rate my prestige is rising I don't see UCLA being that appealing as California becomes a regular at the top of the conference with me at the helm often finishing in the top 3 above UCLA.
fatfish89

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:52 am

I've had success at Cal more than once. Still, a dream school is a dream school...
Wayne23

Postby fatfish89 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:46 pm

It has been alright but the growing pains are real as I do have some down years where I have to play younger players because I am starting to recruit better. Like my last season we barely eked out 17 wins and no tournament invites because I ended the season starting 3 freshmen who are going to be future ballers, I believe, as all were top 50 guys during recruiting and have maintained their high ratings through the season. I also know I am doing well as the more prestigious teams in conference are starting to try to recruit me away but I am going to stay put and see what I can do at Cal.
fatfish89

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:19 pm

Cool! I think your patience will pay off!
Wayne23

Postby PointGuard » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:24 pm

Let me tell ya, if you were coaching at Cal this past 5 years, you'd be elected Gov of California if you got them 17 victories! :D
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby fatfish89 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:18 pm

well I just finished a season where I took them to the elite 8 with 31 wins so govenorship here I come. At the same time I also discovering a bug in game where if you have negative or not enough money to buy a scouting report you can't continue. I ran out because I am trying to keep my elite recruiting assistant on staff.
fatfish89

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2021 General Discussion