Observation on cornerbacks and total team tackles

Observation on cornerbacks and total team tackles

Postby Pialdret » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:56 am

After doing multiple season simulation it seems cornerback stats are way off. For example, last year the most targeted cornerback was targeted 127 times and 9 cornerbacks where above 100 targets. However in the game cornerback targets are a lot higher in all test sims I did. In one sim there was 42 cornerbacks targeted over 130 times and 63 above 100, with the most targeted cornerbacks being upward of 170. This seems to be caused by multiple teams carrying only 3 cornerbacks and most of not all teams playing only 2 cornerbacks all season, which I believe leads to stats being distributed to only a few cornerbacks and leads to the weird stats. Which also causes concerns about teams possibly only using 2 cornerbacks formations all season?

Cornerbacks in the game also tend to rack up a lot of tackles and are always among the season leaders. Last year in the NFL there were around 5-6 cornerbacks with 80+ tackles however in the game there an abnormal amount of cornerbacks with 80+ tackles. In one test sim there were 25 cornerbacks with 80+ tackles and this is also present in the other multiple test sims I did. Like previously mentioned I think this due to teams only playing 2 cornerbacks all season if their first choice cornerbacks are healthy.

Tackles league wide also seem to be in the low end. League total average among teams in test sims were around 800 while real life NFL teams averaged upwards of 1000.
Pialdret

Re: Observation on cornerbacks and total team tackles

Postby NotMikeZimmer » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:26 am

viewtopic.php?f=338&t=34343

Besides the stat tuning that hasn't happened to yet, the devs are also patching some of the coverage behavior.

Could be wrong but I think these two things, the stat tuning that happens towards then end of FA and the defensive adjustments will fix most of this.

Not sure about AI team playbooks though. I think a good percentage of them match CBs to WRs. So the primary use of 2 CBs issue could be partly related to what offenses are calling and the formations that exist in the game.
NotMikeZimmer

Postby Cleasby » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:59 am

I would say wait and see what the 2nd patch looks like. Stats are hard to gauge as the Devs have said that is the last item they refine. It is more about behaviour and patterns of the gameplay at this point.
Cleasby

Postby brooks_piggott » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:12 am

I think tuning is going to be a bit difficult this year because of the extra game. You may need to adjust your results if you're using the 17 game season instead of 16. But otherwise yea, most of the other items will all come into line when we're done changing the engine and get a chance to re-tune.
brooks_piggott

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2022 FirstAccess