Understanding a few defensive terms

Understanding a few defensive terms

Postby Pialdret » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:44 pm

Can anyone explain what Tar, CtA and MT stand for in the game. I'm assuming targets and Catches allowed but not sure on the last one.
Pialdret

Re: Understanding a few defensive terms

Postby NotMikeZimmer » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:56 pm

Targets, catches allowed, Missed Tackles is the last one.

I like to divide CtA/TAR to get completion percentage allowed, a very useful percentage for comparison between Defensive players or team pass defenses.
NotMikeZimmer

Postby Pialdret » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:35 pm

NotMikeZimmer wrote:Targets, catches allowed, Missed Tackles is the last one.

I like to divide CtA/TAR to get completion percentage allowed, a very useful percentage for comparison between Defensive players or team pass defenses.

Thanks. Also, any reason why teams defense have upward of 1200+ targets. Feel like it should be a lot lower unless I'm failing to understand what a target is.
Pialdret

Postby NotMikeZimmer » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:52 pm

approximate attempts per game with 1200 targets

57 with preseason
70 with out preseason

I assume your not through the playoffs yet.

That does seem bizarrely high. I checked some of my game data and it is in line with what you are reporting. This could be a bug of some kind but I think is more likely an issue with how the statistics are tracked.

Unfortunately there are many inconsistencies with how stats are tracked in this game. Some include preseason numbers, some don't. Some include plays in which penalties occur ( sometimes for just certain types of penalties) some don't etc.. I haven't specifically looked into the targets stat so I cant explain the number. but if for example plays with holding calls and pass interference still count targets it might make some sense.

However because all teams stats are kept in the same way they can still be useful relative to eachother even if the numbers seem unaccountably odd. This is why I often find it useful to track stats independently if they are important to me. sorry I cant be more help.
NotMikeZimmer

Postby AKH » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:45 am

I think in cases where a player is double covered both defenders will get registered as targeted. So there will be an overcounting in those cases.
AKH

Postby NotMikeZimmer » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:47 am

Oh I'm dumb. that makes perfect sense. thanks AKH.
NotMikeZimmer

Postby NotMikeZimmer » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:37 am

Having thought about this, it does seem a little crazy that such a high percentage of passes would be into double coverage.

Does this also count extra catches allowed?
NotMikeZimmer

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2022 FirstAccess