Position Development Setting

Position Development Setting

Postby zac » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:11 pm

Our league has for a while now thought that ‘Normal’ setting on position development skill is too slow.  While players under 35 rating in position skill develop well, once they reach about 35+ position skill (or players drafted with position skill already over 35) hardly increase at all with a few minor exceptions.  It seems way too many players don’t increase at all but it’s our wish that more players increased 3-5 points a season with a select few having the chance to increase even more even if already 35+ on the normal setting.

When the ability to have other settings for positional development (low, normal, high, very high), The hope was that we could switch the position development setting to ‘High’ and this would get the desired results.  The problem is that the difference between the high setting and normal setting is drastic.  Players on the high setting that are already 35+ in position skill go from gaining 0.5 points per season on the 'normal' setting to 9.5 points per season on high setting (with many gaining even 15+).  After 5+ seasons, using high setting, basically every player is at or very close to 100 in position skill.  After more testing, it seems that the position development setting is essentially two settings disguised as four settings.  Below are my testing results for each setting broken into players that started at 0-35 position skill, 36-70 position skill, and 71+ position skill. 

Low Setting
0-35 pos skill:  gained 9.6 pos skill / year
36-70 pos skill:  gained 0.4 pos skill / year
71-100 pos skill:  gained 0.3 pos skill / year

Normal Setting
0-35 pos skill:  gained 10.4 pos skill / year
36-70 pos skill:  gained 0.6 pos skill / year
71-100 pos skill:  gained 0.4 pos skill / year

High Setting
0-35 pos skill:  gained 19.0 pos skill / year
36-70 pos skill:  gained 9.4 pos skill / year
71-100 pos skill:  gained 4.2 pos skill / year

Very High Setting
0-35 pos skill:  gained 18.3 pos skill / year
36-70 pos skill:  gained 9.7 pos skill / year
71-100 pos skill:  gained 4.4 pos skill / year

As far as I can tell, low and normal settings are basically identical with minor differences. Also the same for high and very high as those settings are nearly identical to each other as well.  This gives users that want to adjust position development basically just two options (Normal or High) which are drastically different with our viewpoint that normal is a bit to slow and high is way to fast in development.  To me the user would be much better served to get the results they wish if the current ‘normal’ setting was increased just slightly to differ from low setting.  And/or would help significantly if the current high settings pos skill increases were cut in half to differ more from Very high.  If devs don't want to touch the normal setting, by at least creating a new “high” setting that splits the difference between the current normal and current high settings, we’d likely achieve the results we desire.  And leagues that like the current high setting can just use the very high setting as the results they give are very so similar. 
zac

Re: Position Development Setting

Postby AKH » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:07 am

good feedback thx.

Have updated the logic for next patch - should hopefully get a better spread across the settings now.
AKH

Postby zac » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:59 am

Appreciate the review and reply. Thanks!
zac

Postby zac » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:04 pm

Was any changes made here in latest patch? I could tell much difference in version 6.0.3 so wasn't sure.

For example, players that started out at pos skill between 41-70, here's how they changed on average in one season post patch:

Low Pos Skill Dev Setting: Increased 1.1 points
Normal Pos Skill Dev Setting: Increased 1.5 Points
High Pos Skill Dev Setting: Increased 11.1 Points
Very High Pos Skill Dev Setting: Increased 11.9 Points

Just was a quick test and looks like many some changes, but still low, normal and High/Very High are very close so wasn't 100% sure if this was changed in patch or not.
zac

Postby zac » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:31 pm

After further review, I think normal is up a bit this patch so that does help but maybe I'm wrong. Still a lot of players don't increase at all at normal setting but it does seem improved.

Still seems high and very high settings are way too close to each other in my opinion though. If anything, high setting should be cut in half in terms of progression so that there is a middle option between normal and very high.
zac

Postby Templer » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:49 am

How about if the qualities of the coaches are also taken into account in this logic?
Or is that already the case?
Follow WWPF Football on WWPF insider: https://twitter.com/WWPFInsider
Templer

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2022 General Discussion