Quarterbacks with magic motors.

Quarterbacks with magic motors.

Postby Werewolftwentyone » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:45 pm

I have a QB in my Sandbox league with "87" speed that outruns DBs with "97" speed. How is this possible?
Werewolftwentyone

Re: Quarterbacks with magic motors.

Postby brooks_piggott » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:29 pm

In some cases the engine doesn't look at just one number to calculate. It factors in coaches, both defense and offense, intelligence, agility, traits, endurance, play recognition, and a certain amount of adjustment to get to realistic pro stats, etc.
brooks_piggott

Postby jay » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:24 am

This isn't that unrealistic. Think about guys who take bad angles, aren't in position to begin the play, having to turn and run/react versus getting to be the aggressor on offense, etc.

The straight line fastest guy isn't always necessarily the fastest in "game speed."
XFL Sim Commissioner (Alternative History): https://www.xflsim.com
ISFL Commissioner (Fictional Players): https://www.theisfl.com

XFL: Los Angeles Xtreme
ISFL: Athens Odyssey

Always recruiting new & active owners
jay

Postby ashantewarrier » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:17 pm

QB rushing stats are still simply too high. Many rushing QB's are faster than RB's and often have longer runs than RB's. Makes the gameplay unrealistic.
ashantewarrier

Postby brooks_piggott » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:36 pm

Kind of need more specific feedback on this... we tweaked it specifically so it was possible to have Lamar Jackson types going for 1,000 yards per season if you have the right strategies, etc. If I nerf the QB running then I'll get tons of negative feedback on how it's unrealistic to *not* have fast rushing QB's.

I suppose the easy way would be to nerf QB rushing and then just make it more likely for some generated QB's to have high 90's in speed to differentiate them. That way if people want Lamar Jackson they just have to find/train/edit players up to have those high numbers. And everyone else in the 70's or 80's will just kind of suck.(I'll probably have to turn down the odds of a QB running as well if they're in the 70's or 80's so they're not taking off and getting 2 yard gains all the time)
brooks_piggott

Postby brooks_piggott » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:51 pm

I just ran a long term sim and I'm pretty happy with how it's working. There are a handful of QB's that run a lot and can get to 6 or 7 ypc which gives them a shot at 1,000 yards for a season (even more so now that there is an extra game) but I'm not seeing anything "unrealistic" with the results.

I am seeing that there are too many long QB runs, but it kind of has to be that way to balance everything out. If I take out the long QB runs then their averages tank and they have no shot at all for getting to 1k seasons. They're kind of set up as a high risk, high reward kind of deal at the moment.
brooks_piggott

Postby ashantewarrier » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:24 am

Hi Brooks,

I will re-run a 30 year sim with the latest patch before I head to bed and give the results tomorrow. Thanks for following up on this.

BTW- I wish the boards allowed for screenshots so we could provide an image of sim results.
ashantewarrier

Postby drumr » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:16 pm

This is the best rushing has been since PF 20 which was the peak. It's still not there yet again, but it's actually useable now and that's definitely awesome.
drumr

Postby drumr » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:19 pm

Brooks_Piggott wrote:I just ran a long term sim and I'm pretty happy with how it's working. There are a handful of QB's that run a lot and can get to 6 or 7 ypc which gives them a shot at 1,000 yards for a season (even more so now that there is an extra game) but I'm not seeing anything "unrealistic" with the results.

I am seeing that there are too many long QB runs, but it kind of has to be that way to balance everything out. If I take out the long QB runs then their averages tank and they have no shot at all for getting to 1k seasons. They're kind of set up as a high risk, high reward kind of deal at the moment.

I wish you could just set it back to however it was coded in 2020. That was by far the best rushing QBs have been. It's a shame a few complaints about QBs running when GMs didn't want them too seems to have made a chain reaction causing what seems like a total revamp. Since the tweak made for 21 it just hasn't worked right. It was so well balanced. QBs could average 6ypc and get chunk plays as well as long plays.
drumr

Postby zac » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:19 pm

I think what feels off to me about QB running (mind you I haven't tested a ton in 22 in some of the latest patches) but it often feels like in DDSPF 21 game and the little I've played DDSPF 22 that in order to get QB rushing yards even for fast QBs you have to call a good amount of QB run plays. To me what makes a dual threat QB dangerous isn't their ability to run QB desined runs but to scramble and make a 9 yard gain on a broken pass play. To me a much higher percentage of QB run success should be on scrambles. Maybe that was what it was like in 20 version but I didn't have a fast QB on my team so not 100% what 20 was like.

On flip side, more tools could be needed to give defense options to try to contain the scramble of the QB (at risk of opening up more passing lanes). Really making a dual threat QB feel like a real threat. Do you gameplan to stop their scramble and risk they pick you apart in the air more?

If I want to run a designed run play, I usually prefer to just give it to the RB.
zac

Next

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2022 General Discussion