Question on Rosters and Mods

Question on Rosters and Mods

Postby servo75 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:59 pm

Hi, I'm very new to this game, still in the free trial phase, but I like what I see so far and will probably buy it.

I've been playing around with some sandbox leagues and I do have some questions regarding roster mods:

When installing a mod, I don't see where the files are going. I just notice that whenever I start a new league, even if it's a non-standard league, the default rosters are now the NFL players. So does that mean installing a roster mod simply replaces the rosters? If so, does that mean I can only have one mod at a time?

I know I can choose custom but I can't seem to choose from installed mods, it's either default or custom.

Also, if a mod installs everything except graphics, how do I put those in?

If I import a custom schedule, how do I know what is Team 1, 2, etc.?

Is there a way to select WHICH "default player mod" to use for a particular league?

Thanks!
servo75

Re: Question on Rosters and Mods

Postby brooks_piggott » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:49 pm

It depends on which mod you install. Some mods add custom team files, photos, etc. Other mods are rosters. Normally the modders provide instructions on how to use.

Roster mods tend to use "Custom" so that you'd select a custom roster mod to start your league with. You can't really mod the default rosters... you just use a custom roster mod instead.
brooks_piggott

Postby servo75 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:45 pm

I'm not sure whether the NFL players were there or not before I installed the real world mod. I get a choice of Default, CPU Generated, Custom User Created, and Custom User Historical.
Not sure I get the difference between the first two. It seems that a mod (I'm using the Real Life Mod found in this forum) consists of just running an exe. It doesn't seem to add any additional files, but use real player names when I select "default." The second option seems to create all fictional players. The Custom (which I think you mentioned) asks me for a .json file and the last one (Custom User Historical) asks me to enter a year. I thought that perhaps installing the mod entered rosters for several possible years, but after doing so it says it can't find a historical .json. I can only conclude that default is whatever roster comes with the pre-defined (non-custom) league, which the Real World Mod overwrites with real NFL players. I may have to uninstall that one and see if default still gives real players.

I really like this game so far and think it has great potential, but I really wish the developers would put out a detailed manual (or have someone do so).

I also wonder what the difference is between "Creation Draft", "Auto Draft" and "Assign to Team." Does the last mean that all players remain on their original teams?

What is the difference between "sudden death - no ties", "modified sudden death - no ties" and "unlimited quarters - no ties" in the overtime formats? I gather the last one is the real NFL postseason rules but not sure about the other two.
servo75

Postby brooks_piggott » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:58 pm

The real world mod is an .exe that installs a bunch of extra modded files (teams, schedule, logos, etc.), but it doesn't overwrite the default rosters... I think most of the details on what the files do are listed on the mod page.

If you pick "Default" you get the default rosters that ship with the game. If you pick CPU you get "generated" players. Custom User Created is where you would upload a .json file that you may find in other mods. Custom User Historical is a way to pull in players from history if you have a historical mod installed.

Creation Draft starts the league with a full 53+ round draft, auto draft does it automatically for you, assign to team will put the players on the correct team if you're using default rosters or a custom file where the players' already have teams assigned.

There is no manual for the game... we moved a lot of the details into the game itself via popups, inline text, etc. A lot of the other details are either on the forum or on the support site (also linked in game...) https://wolverinestudios.freshdesk.com/ ... 4000451919
brooks_piggott

Postby servo75 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:55 pm

Indeed. I did finally buy the game and install it, and turns out the NFL names are the default rosters and that the Real World mod only does the schedule, team names, etc. I'm guessing that other league formats (1970s NFL, WLAF, USFL) have the real team names but they still use the NFL players. Thanks.

One more question: For a custom schedule, how do we know in advance what is Team #1 and so on?
servo75

Postby slybelle1 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:53 pm

servo75 wrote:Indeed. I did finally buy the game and install it, and turns out the NFL names are the default rosters and that the Real World mod only does the schedule, team names, etc. I'm guessing that other league formats (1970s NFL, WLAF, USFL) have the real team names but they still use the NFL players. Thanks.

One more question: For a custom schedule, how do we know in advance what is Team #1 and so on?

Speaking only about the real world mod, the only league formats supported are "Modern-32 Team, 17 Games", "Modern-32 Team, 16 Games", and "Custom 32 Teams - 16 Games" league configurations. If you create a league with any other format, it would use whatever the default game comes with for names and other things.
slybelle1
Elite Member

Postby brooks_piggott » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:51 pm

If you want to create a custom schedule you'd have to either export your data for the league (csv should work) and see what team id's it assigned to your teams, or you need to look at the teams.xml file that you may have installed and see what team id's it uses when creating a league.
brooks_piggott

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2022 General Discussion