2D Game Issues + other minor issues

2D Game Issues + other minor issues

Postby jasonuk » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:28 am

Just completed one season of the game, doing my own playcalling.
It's a great game with a lot of potential.
These are the issues I've noticed with the game:
- Players rated around 70 overall demanding $5m+ to do a contract extension. Shouldn't this be nearer the league minimum as they are 3rd string fodder material? I'll probably play around with the salary settings.
- Player retirements. Is there a screen that lists all the player retirements? I don't seem to see any as Trent Williams just magically disappeared for me, even though I signed him to a contract extension.
- Is there salary cap penalties from cutting players? I don't seem to see any.
Game logic:
- When winning, and towards the end of the game, the offence still goes into hurry up mode, when I really want to run out the clock. Maybe there should be an option to go into hurry up mode or not?
- Normally I use package to bring on the backups in a game I'm winning by a mile. However, with each change of possession, the package reverts back to default. If I change the package, it should stick with the changed package? not revert back to default?
- QBs throwing the ball too quickly? They don't let the receivers run the route properly? You choose an out pattern, they always throw during the streak up field, they never throw during the out?
- QBs throwing the ball when there's a ton of green in front of them.
- Too many crossfield throws by the QB. You hardly see that in real life. You see it all the time in the game where he's on the right side of the field and throws it all the crossfield to a player for a 3 yard completion.
- Receivers don't finish the route. They tend to just stop. Just looking at the slants, etc.. They seem to stop 3 yards in, they don't keep moving or try to get open.
- Outside runs are too overpowered. Should be toned down a bit.
- Counters and misdirection runs through the middle are too underpowered. They never get anywhere.. No point calling those plays.
- Would like to see player motions pre snap.
- Glitchy players appearing around the field.
- Safety plays don't show up. You just magically realise you got a safety when the other team kicks off.
- Can't design reverses or receiver hand offs, i.e. would like to use Deebo and Kittle like how the 49ers use them.
- Can't design QB option runs, i.e. QB logic to either hand off or run with the ball.
- Wide blitzes appears a bit overpowered. Easy to get 10+ sacks for LBs.
- Blitzes in general appear overpowered in sacking the QB and stopping the run.
- Non blitzes appear underpowered. They tend to always surrender yards, unless you are running dime personnel, which seems to work quite well against the pass, as it should.

This will do for now. Fantastic game.. Keep it up.
jasonuk

Re: 2D Game Issues + other minor issues

Postby jasonuk » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:26 pm

Forgot about one other point:
Injuries. Too little in normal mode. You don't need to use the injured reserve function, since no one gets injured that long.
In reality, 350 players has been stacked on IR in 2021.
I guess we can adjust this ourselves to create more injuries to more reflect a real NFL season.
However, normal mode probably should be more consistent with the real life world.
I'm not sure if there's an injury susceptibility modifier for each player as well? Jimmy G should be more brittle than Trey Lance? Or are all players the same?
jasonuk

Postby jasonuk » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:39 pm

In terms of the QB vision, I assume this is reflected in their intelligence like Madden.
Or maybe it should be a separate category altogether?
There should be a vision cone where his eyes are. The larger the intelligence, the wider the vision cone and also how quickly they progress through reads.
In terms of receiver reads, it should simply be 1st read, 2nd read, 3rd read, etc rather than percentage/numbers.
In the old Football manager 2D games (from 10 years ago), you have eyes on the players. maybe something could be done with the QB?
You can then see them scanning the field through the progression? with the vision cone?
And if there's significant green in front of the cone? Maybe they'll QB run more as well.
A vision cone will also eradicate these crossfield 3 yard passes, since QBs, typically only look ahead.
It also makes more sense to create plays with hi low concepts given they are all in the QB vision cone.
I know it's a lot to ask.. but probably for future iterations of the game.
Also, safeties don't seem to do much in Cover 2s, etc. They just seem to sit idly in the middle of the field until the receiver has caught the ball on the sidelines and then they try to close them down.
Safeties should break towards the receiver earlier.
If there was a vision cone/eyes for the QB, coverage safeties/LBs should be moving according to the eyes of the QB as per real life.
jasonuk

Postby Cleasby » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:35 pm

jasonuk wrote:Just completed one season of the game, doing my own playcalling.
- Players rated around 70 overall demanding $5m+ to do a contract extension. Shouldn't this be nearer the league minimum as they are 3rd string fodder material? I'll probably play around with the salary settings.
League options you can change salary settings, min max by position and the demand percentages by ability.

- Player retirements. Is there a screen that lists all the player retirements? I don't seem to see any as Trent Williams just magically disappeared for me, even though I signed him to a contract extension.
Search player retired players has a section here.

yes under league options you can change the percentage

Game logic:
- When winning, and towards the end of the game, the offence still goes into hurry up mode, when I really want to run out the clock. Maybe there should be an option to go into hurry up mode or not?
you can change the playbook and pass ration based on when ahead or behind in team strategy

- Normally I use package to bring on the backups in a game I'm winning by a mile. However, with each change of possession, the package reverts back to default. If I change the package, it should stick with the changed package? not revert back to default?
don't play the game in SP so cannot help here.

- QBs throwing the ball too quickly? They don't let the receivers run the route properly? You choose an out pattern, they always throw during the streak up field, they never throw during the out?
some of this depends on pressure the QB is under I think but I will let dev comment on this.

You will see qb rushing is a hot topic of debate on the forum.

- Too many crossfield throws by the QB. You hardly see that in real life. You see it all the time in the game where he's on the right side of the field and throws it all the crossfield to a player for a 3 yard completion.
- Receivers don't finish the route. They tend to just stop. Just looking at the slants, etc.. They seem to stop 3 yards in, they don't keep moving or try to get open.
Depends on scheme you are playing against. If you are playing the AI I would suggest this is not a good benchmark. outside running is not OP in my experience it is just effective against AI formation types used.

- Counters and misdirection runs through the middle are too underpowered. They never get anywhere.. No point calling those plays.

Indy game much improved but I am sure this is an incremental improvement each version.

- Safety plays don't show up. You just magically realise you got a safety when the other team kicks off.
- Can't design reverses or receiver hand offs, i.e. would like to use Deebo and Kittle like how the 49ers use them.
- Can't design QB option runs, i.e. QB logic to either hand off or run with the ball.
- Non blitzes appear underpowered. They tend to always surrender yards, unless you are running dime personnel, which seems to work quite well against the pass, as it should.
Blitzing in general depends on the offence scheme and effectiveness. I don't think it is OP but maybe it gives the human an advantage against the AI. In MP blitzing is very balanced and a rightful risk/reward play.

Hi I have tried to cover items which are already in the game hope it helps. I wont speak to everything as I dont play game by game but in MP.
Cleasby

Postby Cleasby » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:36 pm

jasonuk wrote:In terms of the QB vision, I assume this is reflected in their intelligence like Madden.
Or maybe it should be a separate category altogether?
There should be a vision cone where his eyes are. The larger the intelligence, the wider the vision cone and also how quickly they progress through reads.
In terms of receiver reads, it should simply be 1st read, 2nd read, 3rd read, etc rather than percentage/numbers
In the old Football manager 2D games (from 10 years ago), you have eyes on the players. maybe something could be done with the QB?
You can then see them scanning the field through the progression? with the vision cone?
And if there's significant green in front of the cone? Maybe they'll QB run more as well.
A vision cone will also eradicate these crossfield 3 yard passes, since QBs, typically only look ahead.
It also makes more sense to create plays with hi low concepts given they are all in the QB vision cone.
I know it's a lot to ask.. but probably for future iterations of the game.
Also, safeties don't seem to do much in Cover 2s, etc. They just seem to sit idly in the middle of the field until the receiver has caught the ball on the sidelines and then they try to close them down.
Safeties should break towards the receiver earlier.
If there was a vision cone/eyes for the QB, coverage safeties/LBs should be moving according to the eyes of the QB as per real life.

This is a awesome idea haha.
Cleasby

Postby jasonuk » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:52 am

Cleasby wrote:
jasonuk wrote:Just completed one season of the game, doing my own playcalling.
League options you can change salary settings, min max by position and the demand percentages by ability. - yes all good here.. i've lowered the values signficantly especially for 70ish rated players. All good.

Search player retired players has a section here. - yes found it.

yes under league options you can change the percentage - i see.

Game logic:
you can change the playbook and pass ration based on when ahead or behind in team strategy - it still doesn't change the fact that you are in hurry up mode for the last 2 minutes of every half, even though you could be winning the game. you are only just trying to bleed out the clock. i do my own play calling, but even if i do a qb kneel, it takes off like 10 seconds off the clock. it should be taking out the full 40 or thereabouts, if the other team hasnt called a timeout.

don't play the game in SP so cannot help here.

some of this depends on pressure the QB is under I think but I will let dev comment on this. - You don't really see the QB pressure, as they either stand there and throw in a clean pocket or they get sacked. There's no inbetween. I also notice the problem with the QB not throwing the ball away when under pressure. they just like standing there and getting sacked. Protections are probably overpowered. Protections should break down more often. QBs should be able to shake off tackles from time to time or scramble to avoid, especially the more mobile QBs and they should certainly throw the ball away more.

You will see qb rushing is a hot topic of debate on the forum.

Depends on scheme you are playing against. If you are playing the AI I would suggest this is not a good benchmark. outside running is not OP in my experience it is just effective against AI formation types used. - I don't understand why the AI and multiplayer would be any different? surely, we use the same defences? i'm using the stock AI plays as well. I think the problem is mostly to do with defences reacting too slow, especially in base formations (non blitzes) i.e. line backers not getting across, they don't try to pre-empt any plays by rushing in a certain direction. they just sit there and wait for things to develop. i think this could be tweaked based on intelligence, clearly the better game readers will get there quicker to stop the run. Blitzes clearly stop the run in SP mode. Any non blitzing formations are typically useless in general against runs and passes. they don't react quick enough against the run. every play is 4+ yards. They don't read passes either. They only react after the catch.

Indy game much improved but I am sure this is an incremental improvement each version.

Blitzing in general depends on the offence scheme and effectiveness. I don't think it is OP but maybe it gives the human an advantage against the AI. In MP blitzing is very balanced and a rightful risk/reward play. - hmm, not sure why the SP game and MP game would be any different? does the game without a 2D screen play totally different? i've never looked into that as i prefer the SP playcalling aspect. Sometimes its actually better not to see the 2D game, its better to read text, like the good old days of Football Manager 20 years ago and you can leave things to your imagination via the text. Then the early iterations of the 2D game, just looked terrible/odd. Even now, 20 years later, the 3D version of the game, still doesn't play out like a real football game.

Hi I have tried to cover items which are already in the game hope it helps. I wont speak to everything as I dont play game by game but in MP.
- I think the game has great potential, hopefully at some point, we can even more to a 3D model of some sort. That would be great. Even if it's simplistic like the front page sports football 97-98 days. that would be awesome.
jasonuk

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2022 General Discussion