FG Logic (again)

FG Logic (again)

Postby NotMikeZimmer » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:31 pm

https://imgur.com/a/xZ74DLW

I realize this has been posted about (and patched) many many times, but there are still some critical issues with the FG logic. In the image above an FG would have won the Ravens the game, and there is no reason I can think of why the Ravens wouldn't make an FG attempt here.

If this is somehow being impacted by coach preferences, or game plan settings, they should be overridden in situations like this where a game winning FG attempt is the obvious call.
NotMikeZimmer

Re: FG Logic (again)

Postby brooks_piggott » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:06 pm

This was exactly the scenario we updated. The last request was that people were kicking too early and leaving time on the clock. In this case they ran a play with 15 seconds left and then by the time they went to spike the ball they ran out of time. (The 15 seconds when the spike happened is not accurate... that part may be a bug since it should display the time from when the previous play ended instead of the same time) But this was the exact case that we went back and forth on... some folks want the kick made, and other folks want to run the clock down. Seems to me that the right decision was made... 15 seconds left and 3rd down for a 49 yard field goal... seems reasonable to me they'd at least go for it one more play to at least get the ball closer for a 4th down kick, which is what they did. Unfortunately the play took longer to develop which took all of the clock.
brooks_piggott

Postby NotMikeZimmer » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:42 pm

OK. Well maybe in the future this could be something that users could have some control over? Since there are clearly differences of opinion.
NotMikeZimmer

Postby brooks_piggott » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:14 pm

Most likely not. The users already have a lot of options with regards to playcalling, strategy, and coaches to handle these kinds of things. The scenario above seems realistic to me even if the outcome was not in your favor. I'm struggling to think of some sort of system that I could write that would improve on it without requiring dozens of inputs from the user to override all of these AI decisions we've tried so hard to improve.
brooks_piggott

Postby coachcbjii » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:40 pm

Maybe have a play or logic that allows you to call a time with say "3 seconds left" when the play clock is under 40 secs.
It could be literally a play called "3-second timeout". You click that play and the play clock would automatically run down to 3 seconds with a timeout called.
Obviously, would only work if you have a time out in place.

But that way you know you are not kicking the FG too early and you can make a better-educated decision if you do not have time out left or to save a timeout to be able to do that.
Just a thought.
coachcbjii

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2022 General Discussion