Contract Demands Tied Only to Player Listed Position

Contract Demands Tied Only to Player Listed Position

Postby zac » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:49 pm

Right now, what determines what a player signs an extension at in terms of money is largely based on his overall ratings at the position he is listed at on the roster page. I know there are many other factors but generally The problem with that is that if you move a player to a position that lowers is overall rating, often it can significianlly lower his overall rating (thus lowering what he will extend for). Say you have a good RB that you move to FB and lower his overall rating, he'll demand way less while listed as FB than he will at RB in part because his OVR rating may drop with less position skill and also because most leagues probably have lower positon max settings for some positions (like FB). IIt's a big loophole to get easy cheap contracts. Optimally, I think the game should know the players "best" position (and his overall rating/skill level at this best position) and all contract demands are based on this best position, not just what position he is listed at.

Not a huge deal, but wanted to post as thought might be something to consider improving for DDSPF '23.
zac

Re: Contract Demands Tied Only to Player Listed Position

Postby brooks_piggott » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:51 pm

Yea, sounds to me like online leagues dealing with this probably should implement some house rules to penalize teams for doing this and cheesing the system. Or turn off position changes so teams can't do it. I'm not sure I could fix up the financials again to deal with this scenario as we'd have to disconnect the position from the equations and instead recalculate internal value for every position (or at least the current and original positions) and then use that. It would cause a lot of really odd behavior in the game if the min/max system isn't really min/max because some players way exceed the stated values.
brooks_piggott

Re: Contract Demands Tied Only to Player Listed Position

Postby zac » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:21 pm

Thanks. Yeah easy to cheese system so just wanted to at least note the issue so it can at least be considered for improvement at some point in future but figured it'd change up a lot of the backend calculations.

One idea that'd help online leagues if implemented in '23 (no idea if possible or easy, just idea) is to allow teams to offer extensions at other positions and have that listed position in the offer matter in terms of demand. So in the screenshot below, Sean Porter main position is LB but let's say I have him at DE in my roster (because I play him at DE some but the game won't let me play him at DE if listed at LB - sort of a separate issue). Well right now, even if in the drop-down during the extension offer I offer him a contract for LB (while he's still listed as a DE on the roster page), the game still takes into account only his DE position listed on the roster page for demand calculations. It'd be helpful to allow teams to have players listed at DE, but offer contracts for LB and have the game take into account the position listed in the extension no matter where the player is on the roster page. In this case, his extension would show as an "LB" extension after being accepted. It'd allow teams to move guys around and still get deals done at their best position to avoid cheesing the system. Not sure if that makes sense because probably note explained great.

But guess i Could see how'd that make it worse for other leagues could easily just choose a cheaper position in the drop down.

zac

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2022 General Discussion