Some QBs can’t complete a pass

Re: A QB for the Titans can’t complete a pass

Postby brooks_piggott » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:54 am

The answer will probably fall more in the middle. I don't really want to compress things, but I don't want there to be some bug either where it's impossible for QB below a certain level to complete a pass either. I'm not going to bump up the worst QB's to 50% completion... but trying to get them to 10? or 20? That seems like it would work okay without breaking anyone else. I do agree this one is probably an edge case and after a season or two would probably go away as the player universe builds up but I don't mind looking into it if people feel this passionately about it being a game breaking issue.
brooks_piggott

Postby Buhbooh » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:34 pm

Thanks for addressing this, and replying.
Buhbooh

Postby Buhbooh » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:39 pm

Much of this depends on the the context of the rating scale. The ratings are 0-100. Is that in the context of professional football players? Or every human on earth? This player is good enough to be a second string QB on a professional team. A 41 is not good intelligence, but it’s not a 0. His QB skill is 61. Are we using the full scale? If the context of the rating system is for professional football, then that might be bad. If the context is more than that, then it’s not so bad.
Buhbooh

Postby brooks_piggott » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:55 pm

The engine expects 90+ in any rating to be a superstar level for that rating... 80+ would be starter level, 70+ would be rotational player, 60+ would be bench level and below 60 would be average/filler/developmental players. So if a player is at a 55 OVR and has multiple ratings below 60 they're probably not suitable to be playing much except in emergencies. Very experienced players will be able to find 75 OVR players that excel in one area and may be able to put them into specific depth charts or scenarios where they can still be productive.

But if you were looking at 50 as being "average" then no, that's not how the engine works.
brooks_piggott

Postby Buhbooh » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:09 pm

Is this issue going to be addressed? Somebody is playing a dynasty of this game on You Tube, and this issue happened *twice* on his first season. It is such an obvious flaw, I can’t believe it is not being prioritized.
Buhbooh

Re: Some QBs can’t complete a pass

Postby brooks_piggott » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:30 am

I updated the code for a future patch. Until the patch drops the workaround is to edit the QB so their intelligence is over 44. There is a check in the game that is failing if they're below that.
brooks_piggott

Postby Buhbooh » Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:45 am

Brooks_Piggott wrote:I updated the code for a future patch. Until the patch drops the workaround is to edit the QB so their intelligence is over 44. There is a check in the game that is failing if they're below that.

Great to hear, thanks!
Buhbooh

Postby drumr » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:32 am

Buhbooh wrote:This is NOT a QB on my team. This is a backup QB on a team controlled by the computer. There is a difference between not throwing well, AND completing 1 pass in 81 attempts. His arm and accuracy are above 60. Intelligence is in the 40s - he should be able to complete 40-50% of his passes with these stats, IMO, albeit with many interceptions.

Even so, the team that has this QB starting should not keep playing him if he is doing this bad, so either way, there is a major flaw in the game, if not two major flaws.

So Tim Tebow is playing like Tim Tebow and suddenly the QB passing is broken. I am not in favor of compressing ratings at all. A 42 INT QB should never play that position and the ratings of the rest of the league in that file also come into play. I would hope before making such a massive change there would be more data and testing involved. The 0-100 rating system is significantly better than a Madden style rating system where everything is compressed 50-100. Then what's the point? I think Brooks' original argument was sound.
drumr

Postby brooks_piggott » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:38 am

I just changed this one use case where players below 44 were hitting a math bug. It doesn't affect other ratings or checks so they'll still be terrible and well below league averages.
brooks_piggott

Postby Buhbooh » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:18 pm

drumr wrote:
Buhbooh wrote:This is NOT a QB on my team. This is a backup QB on a team controlled by the computer. There is a difference between not throwing well, AND completing 1 pass in 81 attempts. His arm and accuracy are above 60. Intelligence is in the 40s - he should be able to complete 40-50% of his passes with these stats, IMO, albeit with many interceptions.

Even so, the team that has this QB starting should not keep playing him if he is doing this bad, so either way, there is a major flaw in the game, if not two major flaws.

So Tim Tebow is playing like Tim Tebow and suddenly the QB passing is broken. I am not in favor of compressing ratings at all. A 42 INT QB should never play that position and the ratings of the rest of the league in that file also come into play. I would hope before making such a massive change there would be more data and testing involved. The 0-100 rating system is significantly better than a Madden style rating system where everything is compressed 50-100. Then what's the point? I think Brooks' original argument was sound.

Pretty sure Tim Tebow was able to complete more than 1 out of 81 pass attempts.
Buhbooh

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2022 General Discussion