Inside Field Goal%

Inside Field Goal%

Postby Pialdret » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:45 pm

Overall, I think this game does a great job of simulating stats to resemble real life NBA stats, which is no small feat considering all the stats that need to be simulated. However, I think inside Field goal percentage for players is a tad high. This was also a problem in last year's game. The majority of players are shooting 75% near the rim with a lot of players also shooting 80% near the rim. I've seen small point guards with good inside shooting average 80% near the rim, which is absurd. This has a knock-on effect that leads to some point guards to average upwards of 50% for FG%. Also seen some point guards average 60% from the field for a season which seems unrealistic. Just to give a real life example, Tony Parker is probably considered one of the best finishers around the rim the for a point guard his size and he retired averaging 65% around the rim. The majority of point guards in real life average around 60-70% with only the truly elite finisher averaging anything above that. However the majority of players in game are averaging 70% up to high 80% near the rim. Pretty much Center like efficiency.

What I think is the problem is that there isn't a difference between a 6'0 player having 9/10 inside shooting rating and a 7'0 player having a 9/10 rating. Since both players have a 9/10 inside rating they'll both average the same inside Field goal percentage despite the difference in height.
Pialdret

Re: Inside Field Goal%

Postby Gary Gorski » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:06 pm

Well first thank you for purchasing the game and your feedback. Anytime anyone asks for a change to the engine I always start with the same thing, lets talk numbers and data.

I've seen small point guards with good inside shooting average 80% near the rim, which is absurd

T.J. McConnell is a small point guard (6-1). Last season he averaged 93.8% in the restricted area. Jordan Poole averaged 82.6%. Tomas Satoransky 80.6%. Cam Payne and Immanuel Quickly were 100%. Now those last two had 3 and 2 attempts respectively while the others had 16, 23 and 36.

What I need is data. Who are the small point guards you are seeing average 80%? How many are there? Are they 4 out of 5 or are we talking 240 for 300?

This has a knock-on effect that leads to some point guards to average upwards of 50% for FG%

Last season McConnell, Ben Simmons, Brunson, SGA, Kyrie and Jrue all averaged 50+ FG%. CP3 was 49.9

However the majority of players in game are averaging 70% up to high 80% near the rim

What is "the majority"? 51% of the players? 75% of the players? There were like 100 players last season that shot 70% or better in the restricted area. How many more than that are you seeing with better than 70%?

Please don't misunderstand - I am not in the least saying that there is no problem and everything is perfect, etc...all I am saying is that I need some actual numbers and data to go on. That's how things get tweaked to fall more in line with the stats. Like you said the game does a fantastic job of simulating things to fall in line with reality so if something needs a tweak I am more than happy to do it but I need some data to do that with. I don't just make changes in the game engine and hope they work out - everything is data based and the amount of whatever needs to be tweaked has to be based on numbers and data as well and if you provide those things to me then we can have a really productive discussion on exactly what is happening and how I can tweak it to make it better.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby Pialdret » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:53 am

So, I created an Excel with data that pretty much shows the problem with Restricted Area FG% and overall FG% within the game but I think the website doesn't allow excel files to be uploaded/attached with a post. Any way to share it?

Also I don't know where you're getting your numbers but TJ McConnell shot 63% in the restricted area while Jordan Poole shot 67%. Sato shot an impressive 78%.
Pialdret

Postby Gary Gorski » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:47 am

The best way to share it is to go to www.wolverinestudios.com/support and open a ticket there and you can attach it for me there.

My numbers are coming right off the NBA.com website.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/shoot ... Position=G

Shows McConnell 15/16 93.8 in the restricted area. It does show him as 7/11 63.6 in the paint (non-ra).
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby Pialdret » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:49 am

Just shared it.
Pialdret

Postby Flaming Homer » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:53 pm

I was seeing this tendency too in the last versions, even starting already in the 19 version. Not only the high FG% but also how often wings are able to get to the basket.
Our multi player league is struggling a bit with that.

A part of the problem could be, that it seems there is no good defense set to prevent guards/wings to get inside. In older versions you could use a zone and force them out but that seems to be not working much anymore.
Flaming Homer

Postby Pialdret » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:08 pm

Is this being looked into further? If more data is needed I would be happy to provide it but don't know if it is needed.
Pialdret

Postby iPrestige » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:25 pm

Inside shooting in the RA and ITP are, for the most part, mutually exclusive from one another as far as ratings go; if you go into the Commissioner’s Office and try to edit a player, you will see ratings for both RA & ITP. Whatever values set will represent a player’s average-ish FG% (where you expect his FG% to hover around) and affect the players Inside Shooting rating. There are a number of factors in-game that affect the Inside Shooting rating, but I won’t be getting into them. So, with that being said, a player can be a great shooter at the rim (RA), yet be a below average shooter around the rim (ITP)—and vice versa.

That is why the distinction Gary made about McConnell’s stats per NBA.com is important.

I hope my little explanation will help center the conversation and clear up (what I perceived to be) some confusion.
iPrestige

Postby Pialdret » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:57 pm

iPrestige wrote:Inside shooting in the RA and ITP are, for the most part, mutually exclusive from one another as far as ratings go; if you go into the Commissioner’s Office and try to edit a player, you will see ratings for both RA & ITP. Whatever values set will represent a player’s average-ish FG% (where you expect his FG% to hover around) and affect the players Inside Shooting rating. There are a number of factors in-game that affect the Inside Shooting rating, but I won’t be getting into them. So, with that being said, a player can be a great shooter at the rim (RA), yet be a below average shooter around the rim (ITP)—and vice versa.

That is why the distinction Gary made about McConnell’s stats per NBA.com is important.

I hope my little explanation will help center the conversation and clear up (what I perceived to be) some confusion.

So I think stats on the NBA page Gary used for RA shooting % might not be giving the entire picture. It does says that McConnell shot 15/16 in RA but it also says he shot 7/11 inside the paint (non -RA), 2-11 from Mid-Range and 2-3 from 3. So according to the site he shot 26/41 for the entirety of the 20-21 season. I find it hard to believe TJ took only 41 shots in the 69 games he played last season. He actually took 490 total shots. I think the site isn't well updated and might not be the best place to gather stats from, which is weird considering it's the official NBA website.

Also provided an excel with actual NBA data and in-game data which shows the problem with RA FG% shooting within the game. Hope that data proves useful.
Pialdret

Postby iPrestige » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:49 pm

So I think stats on the NBA page Gary used for RA shooting % might not be giving the entire picture. It does says that McConnell shot 15/16 in RA but it also says he shot 7/11 inside the paint (non -RA), 2-11 from Mid-Range and 2-3 from 3. So according to the site he shot 26/41 for the entirety of the 20-21 season. I find it hard to believe TJ took only 41 shots in the 69 games he played last season. He actually took 490 total shots. I think the site isn't well updated and might not be the best place to gather stats from, which is weird considering it's the official NBA website.

Also provided an excel with actual NBA data and in-game data which shows the problem with RA FG% shooting within the game. Hope that data proves useful.

After taking a deeper look at TJ McConnell's stats per NBA.com, your concern over FG% in the paint and RA seems to be warranted:

Total FG Attempted - 490
RA - 116/185 = 62.7%
ITP (Non-RA) - 94/166 = 56.6%

https://www.nba.com/stats/player/204456 ... r%20Season
iPrestige

Next

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2022 FirstAccess