Pre-Season?

Pre-Season?

Postby jlemmen43 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:19 pm

I didn't realize that there's no pre-season in this game. Is that something that was taken out in previous versions? I know it was gone from 2021 as well. It just seems weird not having one. I assume it's to cut down on stored data and that you gather enough info from training camps to figure out who you want playing at what roles? It just would be nice to have a preseason to try out a few different things, and also introduce the possibilities of injuries before the season.

P.S. bring back Euro leagues also ;)
jlemmen43

Re: Pre-Season?

Postby Gary Gorski » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:08 pm

There has never been pre-season games in the prior versions of the game. There are summer league games which allow you to see how young players may have improved and in the Game Options screen there is an option to toggle off "allow offseason injuries" so the game already does have built in a method of players being able to get injured in the offseason - it just doesn't have pre-season games to play. IMO nothing is learned from pre-season games in the NBA, it is just an opportunity to let players get their legs under them.

Euro leagues are not likely to return either - virtually nobody to my knowledge played using them and initially the debuted in the game during an era when it looked like European leagues might be a viable option for competing with NBA teams for players so there was going to be that element (eg Josh Childress signing with a Greek team for huge money) but that never materialized. I do have some other ideas in that realm but not as fully playable leagues around the world.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Re: Pre-Season?

Postby jlemmen43 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:16 pm

That's very fair. Thank you for the response. I did see the "allow offseason injuries" toggle after I posted this, and that pretty much puts the realism to standard. Great option.

Understandable for the Euro's also. I think if you could figure a way so players you followed/coached in college (that weren't quite good enough to amass a career) could still be monitored, without being playable...but able to be signed, that would be very cool. I haven't really looked into the world-league style basketball games, but I suppose one could just create those players who fell short in the NBA and are too experienced for D-League, in those other offerings. There is an allure to the different schedule styles and such, and I can totally understand it not being worth implementing into DDSPB.
jlemmen43

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2022 General Discussion