Question regarding positions and rosters

Question regarding positions and rosters

Postby j2darizzo » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:37 pm

Hi, I'm a big fan of OOTP and Football Manager and have put in countless hours into them. Thought I would try something new and am really impressed with the game so far. There is a learning curve to the game which I love, but I do have a few questions.

I have a PG that is very clearly a SG, but I don't see anywhere that I can change it, is that by design?
Going through my roster I noticed only a few players will allow my to denote them to the D league, but others don't give me the option, what is the reason for this?

I see the ratings for offense. defense, etc... but I don't see ratings for speed, clutch, jumping, etc... are they coded into the game and are just not accessible to see?

Thanks for the great game!
j2darizzo

Re: Question regarding positions and rosters

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:51 pm

If you go to the depth screen and click on a player (not his name but the grid cell) you will see at the bottom of the screen the option to change what positions you want him to play. If you want it to say SG then in the upper right corner where your name is click that and change to commissioner mode. There you will find a button for edit players and you can edit him to change from PG to SG.

From your roster you can only assign players with less than 4 years experience to the D-League. The game does not do "rehab stints" where a veteran player might temporarily be sent to the D-League so you are not allowed to send players with more than 3 years experience there.

There are no ratings for speed, clutch, jumping etc...ratings like speed or jumping are sort of assumed by their other ratings (ie a poor jumper certainly would not make a good shot blocker) and there is not a clutch rating in the game although that may be something to consider for the future
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby j2darizzo » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:14 pm

Thanks for the explanation. At the beginning of my save I selected Dynamic Ratings, can you elaborate what this option does?
j2darizzo

Postby Gary Gorski » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:19 am

This is going to display the ratings in the league as more of a "current valuation" so if a player has a bad year his ratings displayed are likely to be lower than they actually are where as if he is playing much better than he should his ratings will likely be overvalued. This is sort of a more realistic approach because sometimes we think a player has broken out or has lost it but its really more of a function of the current situation he is in - the dynamic ratings option brings this to life and forces you to rely more on all the information available to you (stats, play styles etc) as opposed to just ratings because the ratings are more reinforcing what the stats are saying as opposed to what the player is actually rated or WHY the stats are what they are.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby jlemmen43 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:54 pm

Gary Gorski wrote:
There are no ratings for speed, clutch, jumping etc...ratings like speed or jumping are sort of assumed by their other ratings (ie a poor jumper certainly would not make a good shot blocker) and there is not a clutch rating in the game although that may be something to consider for the future

I'm trying to think about any players that are "clutch" without being solid at bucket getting in some way normally. None come to mind, but I haven't followed NBA in several years or followed it close enough in years before that. I'm thinking that the Consistency Rating would pretty much cover the "Clutch" rating suggestion (even though it's a good suggestion)? And if you get the ball in the hands of a capable shooter with high consistency, he will be best suited to make the shot.
jlemmen43

Postby Gary Gorski » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:17 pm

Yes I would say the consistency rating certainly applies to that kind of a situation already in the game. I know there are some "clutch stats" tracked but I don't necessarily think they translate directly to what we think about as a clutch player. For instance the one I am looking at right now with "clutch FGM" lists Russell Westbrook as 6th in the league behind Tatum, Steph, D'Angelo Russell, Embiid and Herro....I don't think I would consider D'Angelo Russell the 3rd player in all of the league I would want taking a last second shot and definitely would not be thinking of Westbrook in that situation so I would need some kind of tangible stat I felt comfortable with in order to have a clutch rating in the game that would accurately model kind of like an increase/decrease chance of hitting a key shot with the game on the line.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2022 General Discussion