Some suggestions

Some suggestions

Postby smoovasbutter » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:10 pm

Hello I have simmed 20 seasons using Universe mode on fictional roster settings. I noticed a few things that if tweaked, can improve the realism of the game for those who play fictional:

1. Height should play more of a factor in the ratings. For example, I noticed there are too many PGs who are as small as 5-10 who are averaging 9 rebounds and over a block a game. I do realize that occasionally you have 6-3 Westbrook going double digits and 6-1 Pat Beverley blocking shots in real life, but it shouldn't be that common.
2. Blocks and Steals are a bit too inflated. Teams are averaging nearly 10 blocks and 10 steals a game in my simulation. In some seasons there are 15 players averaging more than 2 steals a game whereas in real life you would have maybe 3 or 4. The draft classes on average should have their steal and block ratings toned down a bit.
3. Shooting percentages are too low. They start off fine but because the draft classes are generally weaker in shooting, the league eventually gets to the point where some of the teams are shooting less than 40 percent overall and under 30 percent from 3. Perhaps overall defense of the draft classes need to be toned down or shooting ability needs to go up. Perhaps there needs to be more rim running Jarret Allen types who can hit a high percentage.
4. Fouls are insane. Each team is averaging nearly 30 FT attempts a game. Also it seems half of the players in the league are extremely foul prone. There are alot of players with superstar ratings but who are unable to play more than 28 minutes a game or they will foul out. In real life alot of the young big men get alot of fouls but in this game, even experienced perimeter players with good defensive and IQ ratings are averaging nearly 5 fouls per 36 minutes. There is also no option to tone down fouls when editing players. I think Discipline does this? But even high IQ players will commit a ton of fouls.
5. The draft classes seem a little too weak and devoid of scorers. After a few years the number of first option scorers dwindle and now it is possible for role players averaging just 14 points and 7 rebounds to make the all star team and 18 points a game is enough to make the top 20 in scoring.
6. Too many of the top players and draft choices are "extreme ends of the bell curve" in size. You have 5-10 PGs who are the number 1 pick whereas nobody would draft a 5-10 player number 1 nowadays. Trae Young and Darius Garland are probably as small as it gets and even they didn't get drafted that high. Also you have alot of 7-2 centers in the game whereas nowadays its more about small ball.
7. I think there should be a separate defensive rating for perimeter and post defense. If a 7-0 center has a 9/10 defensive rating, does this mean he can switch on Steph Curry and shut him down?
8. Also the player comparison screen has some errors in it and the wrong ratings are displayed.

Thanks for your time.
smoovasbutter

Re: Some suggestions

Postby SirMichaelJordan » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:51 pm

I agree. My gripes for years have been the rebounding and blocking for smaller guards and the low shooting percentages of the generated players.
SirMichaelJordan

Postby Buzzerbeater » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:01 pm

What is the best game strategy in your opinion? I haven't been able to stabilize the victories with the Lakers for 5 seasons.
Buzzerbeater

Postby jlemmen43 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:12 pm

I wonder if you import draft classes from the college game, if the results are any better? I'm assuming you simmed with the computer generated draft class each year?
jlemmen43

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2022 General Discussion