Questions about ratings

Questions about ratings

Postby ValePal » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:38 am

Hi, first of all thank you so much for this extraordinary game, and sorry for my bad English!
I'd like to update the players' ratings, using the nba.com shooting advanced stats, so I have a couple of questions about it
1) considering two players with the same skills in the shooting ratings, tendencies and style of playing (drive and pass/shoot, catch-pull up and so on), how much the skill "scoring" affect approximately the PPG? For example, what about Desmond Bane today?
2) if I want to improve the number of shoots took in the paint-restricted area, what skill I have to edit (I'm talking about PG-SG, so I think i don't have to edit the "post" tendency)?

And then a couple of general questions
1) it's better to keep a certain attacking style for a while, so the players learn it better, or I could easily change during the 2-D game (a stupid example, I have a lineup with two great corner shooters, i easily change from "post" to "seven seconds")?
2) i see that often, in my teams, there is a "democratic" balanced distribution of the final PPG stats: it's very difficult that the big stars score more than 20 PPG. How can I focus my offense to the hands of 2-3 specific players, so that I can see more unbalanced (and realistic) PPG?

Thank you so much :)
ValePal

Re: Questions about ratings

Postby CJacksonCowart » Tue May 03, 2022 1:58 am

1) The "scoring" rating has a pretty big impact on a player's ability to generate their own shot and create open space. So if two players have a 10 outside shooting, the one with the higher scoring rating is much more likely to initiate their own shot, or to get open for a pass beyond the arc.
2) I would increase their tendency to drive and their inside scoring. That should increase their likelihood to drive to the lane and to score there. Bumping up scoring would also help, though it'll obviously make them more successful scorers overall, too.

1) I would definitely recommend only playing offenses (or defenses) that your players are familiar with. So if you don't have a lot of practice time devoted to "seven seconds" but you do for "post" then I would try to avoid playing the first one until you spend more practice time on it. Sometimes it's worth spending time on multiple offenses so that you can tailor your approach to whatever is best in the moment.
2) That's a good question. You can structure the minutes of your players to be more varied (higher minutes = more chances to score), or run more offense through them during the actual games by calling plays out of timeouts and running offensive sets that are catered to their skill set. I don't believe there's a direct way to structure your offense around one or two guys; I'll ask Gary about having that in the game!
CJacksonCowart

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2022 General Discussion