New Standard - Must Buy!

Re: New Standard - Must Buy!

Postby stiets1118 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:18 am

AKH wrote:tbh, if a main criticism is how much information is displayed when you get a job offer, i'm pretty happy with where the game is at.

Realism -wise, that would be a nice upgrade. Seems like a small ask, but leaving a program should be more informative, and at this point it is blind. A small independant college text based game in development gave a 3 team option either as a new offer, or after your contract was up, with prestige levels, salary not limited to 500k multiples, and offered set goals that you hade accepting that job. Also had existing school offer extensions. Having players getting upset with losing or board not happy with results is an area for more immersive improvements also as a side note.
stiets1118

Postby AKH » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:17 am

stiets1118 wrote: Having players getting upset with losing or board not happy with results is an area for more immersive improvements also as a side note.

this is already there
AKH

Postby frankinho » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:05 pm

AKH wrote:tbh, if a main criticism is how much information is displayed when you get a job offer, i'm pretty happy with where the game is at.

i dont think its solely that, but as long as you guys are happy. I think there's a lot to be said about lack of immersiveness over the years with CF but very little has been done to remedy this. As a text sim that's really what draws people into buying these sort of games - if you look the most popular and succesful text sims out there FM, OOTP they both have it and CB21 has come very close to that level imo as well. But CF21 that was still far off and for CF22 i guess we will see but i havent read anything ground braking that would improve immersiveness aspect. I get that a lot has been done under the hood but that is just that and wont help with immersivenes.
frankinho

Postby Colly » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:26 pm

frankinho wrote:

i dont think its solely that, but as long as you guys are happy. I think there's a lot to be said about lack of immersiveness over the years with CF but very little has been done to remedy this. As a text sim that's really what draws people into buying these sort of games - if you look the most popular and succesful text sims out there FM, OOTP they both have it and CB21 has come very close to that level imo as well. But CF21 that was still far off and for CF22 i guess we will see but i havent read anything ground braking that would improve immersiveness aspect. I get that a lot has been done under the hood but that is just that and wont help with immersivenes.

This.
Colly

Postby Colly » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:08 pm

Personally, right now I think it's just my FOMO that is keeping me intrigued over CF22. That and the fact there's definitely a diamond in the rough here, so supporting a small dev team is appealing.

There may well be enough there to warrant a new game but for those who have not yet purchased FA it seems a tough road to discover exactly what that might be.

Beyond a few bullet points listed on this forum and even fewer details on the website or Steam, I don't think it's unfair to suggest it just feels a bit flat right now.

Many sports franchise games rely heavily on the fact their yearly updates bring updated rosters, trades, transfers, etc. Even then, there are usually at least a few Prime Time feature additions or updates that marketing of the game hangs its hat on. CF does not include the first point and from what I can tell, there's nothing major on the second point either.

I've purchased FM/CM for 30 years now and even back when it was just the two brothers coding from their bedroom you could always rest assured there would be major additions or focused overhauls on some gameplay and immersive content.

When you play FM you play a simulation game and you feel totally immersed as a Football Manager and what that might be like on a daily basis or at least as much as a spreadsheet game allows. Imagination fills in the rest.

CF19, 20, and 21 are great games but as far as the player is immersed in the day-to-day aspects of running a Cf program. Meh. They require heaps more imagination. They're still fun but is there really $50 (CDN) more fun to be had in CF22?

This thread started off making the bold statement: New Standard - Must Buy!

Three pages of comments later and I for one remain unconvinced.

I'll choose the Steam route and feel pretty sure I'll know whether it is indeed a New Standard - Must Buy within 2 hours of gameplay. Hopefully, I'll not be refunding it.
Colly

Postby brooks_piggott » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:08 pm

I guess over the years immersion has meant different things to different people. Obviously the original poster thinks we added the right features and the right immersion this time around to be happy with it. My goal is to figure out how to add more. The problem is I have no idea what "immersion" is to different folks. We keep offering to add features that people would like, but "immersion" isn't a feature that I can code. So a better question would be, what would you like added to the game, or expanded, that would create that immersion for you? If we can get at the feature level there may be some things we can work on, or ideas that will put on the right track for CF22 or future offerings. Even comparisons to CB21 would be helpful (since I kind of know the guy that wrote that one) but what things in CB21 are you referring to specifically. I like the overall discussion, and I'm willing to look at adding some stuff in, just need a bit of help getting there.
brooks_piggott

Postby eel1987 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:47 pm

Brooks_Piggott wrote:I guess over the years immersion has meant different things to different people. Obviously the original poster thinks we added the right features and the right immersion this time around to be happy with it. My goal is to figure out how to add more. The problem is I have no idea what "immersion" is to different folks. We keep offering to add features that people would like, but "immersion" isn't a feature that I can code. So a better question would be, what would you like added to the game, or expanded, that would create that immersion for you? If we can get at the feature level there may be some things we can work on, or ideas that will put on the right track for CF22 or future offerings. Even comparisons to CB21 would be helpful (since I kind of know the guy that wrote that one) but what things in CB21 are you referring to specifically. I like the overall discussion, and I'm willing to look at adding some stuff in, just need a bit of help getting there.

You just convinced me to buy. If you're that open to implementing improvements, I'll make sure to send you any suggestions or ideas I come up with.
eel1987

Postby stiets1118 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:04 pm

can we have a thread solely for features we want to see? Then we can post them there
stiets1118

Postby brooks_piggott » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:13 pm

Sure, feel free. The First Access forum is the ideal place for that.
brooks_piggott

Postby eel1987 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:40 pm

The very first thing I notice is that I agree with the folks who have problems with the skin, but I don't necessarily think it's the skin. I think it's more something about the font, for me at least. It feels difficult to focus on words like the letters are running together or blurry or something. On the dashboard screen the text in the Impact Players section and the Schedule section is borderline painful to read.

Part of that may be resolution--my laptop runs at 3840x2160 and I'm pretty sure the game doesn't, so that may be part of the blurriness. Or it might be something as simple as just putting a dropdown menu in settings to allow font changes, if that's even possible. I have no idea what font is being used, but maybe a different one would at least make it easier to read.

Another suggestion that comes to mind: more uncertainty in player ratings. No coach can ever say their QB's arm is a 74/100. What does that even mean? What's the difference between a 73 and a 74? OOTP does a good job of this by allowing players to change ratings to be 0-100, 0-20, 1-5 stars, or the actual 20-80 scale that MLB scouts use. Bowl Bound also lets players switch ratings to 1-10. That way it's less about playing the spreadsheet and more about looking at ratings but also looking at player performance to determine which ones are best.
eel1987

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Football 2022 FirstAccess