Why No Audibles?

Why No Audibles?

Postby Colly » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:20 pm

It would be really nice.

I'm tired of seeing the defense line up against my off-tackle run left (for example) with a blitzing LB or DT poised right there or in full-on run blitz but unable to call a run right or deep pass audible.

I get it matters not to the guys who just create playbooks and game plans and then click sim - but some of us actually love playing every down. Even if the QB via AI (or based off of say 4 pre-player selected plays in Strategy) would call audibles that would be something.

I'm assuming it's not in the game because the game has already calculated the play before I even click "play" (I'm essentially just watching a video)? It's the only reason I can think of as to why it's not included and if so that's a real shame.

It would also be nice to make substitutions on the fly too. I know there are the package options but again that's all done upfront and feels more for the guys that "click sim".
Colly

Re: Why No Audibles?

Postby brooks_piggott » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:19 pm

I'm not sure I understand the ask. Calling plays tells the game what play to run... if the AI could just audible into something else that would kind of break the reason behind calling plays. We do have options, and the QB does run through progressions based on their skills and receivers and openness, etc. but it won't audible into a whole different play.
brooks_piggott

Postby Colly » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:25 am

Brooks_Piggott wrote:I'm not sure I understand the ask. Calling plays tells the game what play to run... if the AI could just audible into something else that would kind of break the reason behind calling plays. We do have options, and the QB does run through progressions based on their skills and receivers and openness, etc. but it won't audible into a whole different play.

Yeah, I guess it was confusing. Let's try again.

Why are audibles not in the game?
Colly

Postby brooks_piggott » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:35 am

Because we don't call plays in real time. The AI picks a play and runs it, or the user picks a play and runs it. We don't have a mechanism (either AI or otherwise) to pick a play, and then before the play is run, pick a different play. And there are no plans to add this sort of mechanism.
brooks_piggott

Postby brooks_piggott » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:42 am

Just to be clear, there are actions within the game mechanics that do adjust plays on the fly... the QB may throw to checkdown receivers, or throw the ball away or take off and run, or defenses may adjust to cover different folks or adjust their zones, so there is an element of dynamic decision making in the engine, just not specifically audibles.
brooks_piggott

Return to DDS: College Football 2022 FirstAccess