List of Suggestions (so far)

List of Suggestions (so far)

Postby eel1987 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:23 pm

I've been blowing up the Slack channel for a few days now with suggestions and questions since Brooks expressed openness to player feedback, but I thought it might be good to make a thread here with a list of them and maybe get some more thoughts or additions from other players. Overall, this is a much, much more enjoyable game than the last version I played (might have been 20?), though it still doesn't feel as deep as I'd like. Before picking this up I was playing a lot of BBCF, so several of these suggestions are inspired by that (despite being quite old). These are in no particular order.

1. More in-game info to help "on-board" players new to DDSCF games or to college football in general. This is a BBCF-inspired idea, because in each phase of the off-season you get literal essays explaining the concepts involved in whatever that phase is. If it's time to decide your offensive and defensive schemes, you get a novella that explains what each scheme is in case you happen to not know the difference between Run-N-Gun and Smash Mouth. Have no idea what redshirting means or why do it? When it's time to choose redshirts, you get an essay in your email that explains redshirting, why to redshirt, who to redshirt, who not to redshirt, etc. Obviously after the first time you read them you don't need them quite so much anymore except as an occasional refresher, but it's super useful to help get accustomed to college football costumes that some people may not be familiar with and to important game mechanics.

2. On the roster screen if I use the player type drop down menu to switch to "Redshirts" I would have guessed that I would see a list of the players I have selected to redshirt for the current season. Much to my confusion, it shows a list of all players that have (RS) in their year, regardless of whether they are redshirted for the current season or they are currently redshirt seniors who were redshirted their freshman season several seasons ago. "Active Roster" filters to only players that aren't currently redshirted, so I would say "Redshirts" should be the inverse of that and it would make a lot more sense.

3. On the Depth Chart screen, if I click Quick View Roster, sometimes the window that pops up shows me the players in the position I selected, but the column headings are just text and not sortable. If I close it and open it again, now the screen that pops up only has column headings and no players. If I close it and open it again, the screen that pops up now shows the players in that position and the columns are sortable. Seems like some kind of bug. I haven't yet figured out if there are any conditions that cause it to happen or not.

4. Also regarding the depth chart screen, I notice on the offensive part there is a big empty space at the bottom. The defense screen could also be re-arranged pretty easily to have the same space at the bottom. I propose moving the Quick View Roster screen to that empty space instead of making it a pop-up screen. Put a drop-down menu to pick the position, and maybe another drop down to select whether we want to see the players' attributes or their current season stats. That would make setting depth charts easier, since there's no more need to jump back and forth between different screens.

5. On the Stats screen, add a question mark tooltip that explains what the different stats mean.

6. Also on the Stats screen, add game-by-game stats as an option along with Season/Postseason/Career.

7. The Positions screen is already on the Recruiting screen so I'm not sure why it needs to have its own screen. Seems like a waste of space.

8. I like the post-game email message that breaks down stand-out player performances. It helps make the game feel more "real" and assists in figuring out which players I can rely on. But I wish it had more detail. Telling me a player played X snaps, had Y key plays, a number that I think is supposed to represent their "value" to the game but I really have no idea what it is, and some letter grades is kind of a vague report of a player's performance. Maybe two more immersive messages, one from each coordinator, giving a brief stat breakdown of each player in the previous game with just stats that are relevant to their position. So for a QB, maybe attempts, completions, TDs, great passes, bad passes (however the game might define those). For an offensive lineman, pancakes, missed blocks, sacks allowed, key run blocks, false starts, holding penalties. And so on.

9. This one was answered in Slack, but I'd like a bit more control over setting playing time for players. If I want to play my QB1 100% of the game and I don't care how tired he gets, let me do that. If my QB1 is hurt and I want to split snaps 50/50 with QB2, let me do that. The different packages sort of get at that a little bit, but I would like more control over it.

10. Maybe add recruits' high school or junior college stats somewhere on a recruiting screen to help with scouting and finding players to pursue, and add a bit more immersion.

This is what I've got so far. I'll come back and add to this thread if I think of more.
eel1987

Return to DDS: College Football 2022 FirstAccess