How realistic is the game engine?

How realistic is the game engine?

Postby CJacksonCowart » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:05 am

Hey y'all, longtime fan of the DDS franchise but new to the CFB series. Impressed with all I've seen from this new game but was curious, for those who have played either the early access or past football games in this line (or even the developers themselves) — how realistic is the game engine in terms of considering various styles and factors beyond just ratings?

One of the toughest parts of immersion for text sims is putting in hours trying to recruit specific personnel or create a specialized game plan, only to feel like it's not actually relevant. Some games focus on generating realistic stats in the end but not on the actual process to get there, which can make the experience feel a bit hollow.

For example, if you're facing a QB that excels over the middle of the field, would game planning to take away that zone actually matter? Does a speed player perform better on outside runs than on inside runs, and is the defender's speed a key factor in stopping those plays? In general, do faster players (linemen, rushers, receivers) behave any differently than power players of the same skill level, or tall vs. short, etc, or does their rating dictate their success across most situations?

Those are just a few specific examples to illustrate the point — like I mentioned, new to the game and unfamiliar with what to expect in terms of the AI. For those of us who enjoy calling plays and being rewarded for more "realistic" and efficient roster builds, how well does this game engine handle that?
CJacksonCowart

Re: How realistic is the game engine?

Postby Colly » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:51 am

I'm fairly new too and also have a play style to play every down. I'd say it's a decent experience, is it perfect? No, but it's pretty good. Have not played enough of 2022 yet to be sure but I did note in 2021 my fast outside receivers, even when starting way clear of any safety's would easily be caught. When I'd analyze the tackler and receiver speeds there was never much in it. Anyway, I still enjoyed the game overall. The good news is these guys are always tweaking and improving things and from what I've seen are very receptive to listening to their customers and making changes/improvements.
Colly

Return to DDS: College Football 2022 General Discussion