Facilities Suggestion/Idea

Facilities Suggestion/Idea

Postby getheroff » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:02 am

In terms of facilities, it would be nice if there was a little bit more depth here. One idea that I have had here is that maybe you could break it out into constituent parts like locker rooms, practice facilities, academic support, and arena, and put a percentage contribution of each area to the overall grade. So locker rooms might make up 15% of the total grade, practice facilities another 15%, and academic support facilities (computers, study rooms, tutor access) 5%; then the other 65% would be the arena. Each area could have a grade…and an associated "cost" for upgrade. If you have a good season (+2-3 prestige), maybe you could request an upgrade to one of the smaller components (like locker rooms or practice facilities), and you could acquire a small bump to that specific area. If you combined a couple of these over 2 or 3 seasons, maybe this would bump you to a B-. But for a big improvement like C+ to B+, it seems like this would entail an arena upgrade, which is a huge deal and should be tougher to accomplish...maybe +10-15 prestige over a 5-year period.

The genesis of this suggestion came from a play-through as Washington State University. In the first year at WSU, their facilities were rated as a C+. After the season, I asked for a facilities upgrade and (to my surprise) it was approved by the board of directors. My facilities immediately went up to B+; which is on a par with Oregon…and while this is great for purposes of my play-through, it would never happen in real life. Thanks to its close ties with Nike founder Phil Knight, Oregon has some of the very best facilities in the world (let along college basketball)…whereas, WSU (as a state school without a mega-donor benefactor) has always struggled to keep up with the Oregon’s, Washington’s, Arizona’s of the conference. So WSU might be able to improve its locker rooms or practice facilities in a given year, but an arena upgrade would require more capital and would take longer to complete.

This got me thinking that it would be great to model things like market size, alumnae engagement, and fan interest. Of course I acknowledge that this would adding a ton of additional complexity and programming to the game, but it is fun to dream!
getheroff

Re: Facilities Suggestion/Idea

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:00 pm

I like your suggestion - I have noted it for the next version as I think its too large of a suggestion to just throw in because I would then want things to be modeled accurately here. Could even lead to more pitch options breaking down the facilities into specific areas or tie injuries into something like the quality of your weight room. This is a high quality suggestion that actually can be even bigger than you initially laid out but it will take the proper time to do it right - well done on this one!
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Re: Facilities Suggestion/Idea

Postby getheroff » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:58 pm

Thank you for the kind words...and thank you for the terrific game!
getheroff

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2022 FirstAccess