Immersion Suggestions

Immersion Suggestions

Postby getheroff » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:37 am

The following comments are specific to immersion concerns, and not fundamental design suggestion(s).

I usually play as Washington State University (my real-life alma mater) and I have noticed that almost all of the in-game players are from the State of Washington...and this is not currently accurate. WSU's current real-life team only has 3 players from the State of Washington. I acknowledge that it’s probably too much to ask that the game accurately reflect roster composition from a geographical standpoint; but the geographic mix should be more diverse for most teams.

Another minor immersion comment about the WSU in-game roster. There are (too) many relatively elite, African-American players from predominantly Caucasian, small towns like Colfax, Chewelah, and Prosser. In real life there is occasionally a good player that comes from one of these small towns, but most of WSU’s in-state talent has come from the basketball mecca of the Seattle-Tacoma metro area.

Distribution of classes by positions seems somewhat unrealistic when starting new associations. While there can be anomalies in real life, in the game it feels all too common to see 3 JRs at PF, plus 2 SRs at C... I know that we can change a player’s position in commissioner mode to eliminate some of this unfortunate bunching, but it seems like the program should double-check that there aren’t too many of these instances when starting a new association.

Some of the job goals seem a bit too aggressive…e.g. WSU winning 20+ games, finishing 3rd in conference are very aggressive goals; improving prestige and making the NIT seem realistic though.

This last one is kind of a big ask, but again these are just ideas/suggestions for improvement...more accurately reflect the real cost of visiting a recruit or having a recruit visit campus. Cost should be based on how far away the recruit is from the campus location. 2 examples…as WSU, visiting a recruit in Moscow, Idaho should not be $650 as it is an 8-mile drive. And visiting a recruit in Vancouver, BC/Canada should not be as much as visiting a recruit in Australia.
getheroff

Re: Immersion Suggestions

Postby CJacksonCowart » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:40 am

getheroff wrote:The following comments are specific to immersion concerns, and not fundamental design suggestion(s).

I usually play as Washington State University (my real-life alma mater) and I have noticed that almost all of the in-game players are from the State of Washington...and this is not currently accurate. WSU's current real-life team only has 3 players from the State of Washington. I acknowledge that it’s probably too much to ask that the game accurately reflect roster composition from a geographical standpoint; but the geographic mix should be more diverse for most teams.

Another minor immersion comment about the WSU in-game roster. There are (too) many relatively elite, African-American players from predominantly Caucasian, small towns like Colfax, Chewelah, and Prosser. In real life there is occasionally a good player that comes from one of these small towns, but most of WSU’s in-state talent has come from the basketball mecca of the Seattle-Tacoma metro area.

Distribution of classes by positions seems somewhat unrealistic when starting new associations. While there can be anomalies in real life, in the game it feels all too common to see 3 JRs at PF, plus 2 SRs at C... I know that we can change a player’s position in commissioner mode to eliminate some of this unfortunate bunching, but it seems like the program should double-check that there aren’t too many of these instances when starting a new association.

Some of the job goals seem a bit too aggressive…e.g. WSU winning 20+ games, finishing 3rd in conference are very aggressive goals; improving prestige and making the NIT seem realistic though.

This last one is kind of a big ask, but again these are just ideas/suggestions for improvement...more accurately reflect the real cost of visiting a recruit or having a recruit visit campus. Cost should be based on how far away the recruit is from the campus location. 2 examples…as WSU, visiting a recruit in Moscow, Idaho should not be $650 as it is an 8-mile drive. And visiting a recruit in Vancouver, BC/Canada should not be as much as visiting a recruit in Australia.

That last suggestion is particularly interesting, I think. The CFB game uses real-life coordinates to determine where a player/team is from, so if that were introduced to the CBB game, it could really enhance dynamic recruiting costs and "closer to home" effectiveness.
CJacksonCowart

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:13 pm

I could see in the next version implementing the coordinate based system of CF. I will have to talk to Brooks about how it works and what data is required (don't forget there are WAY more college basketball teams than football ones). The makeup of the players from specific cities etc is probably a bit out of reach though. I realize it could increase the immersion slightly but unless someone else was volunteering their services to find me the proper breakdown of every city used it's just something that will never happen on my end.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby getheroff » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:08 pm

I hear ya...I'm sure the data is out there somewhere, but I have no idea where one would look for it either.

It would be wonderful if we could use the coordinate system in the CB game as well!
getheroff

Postby jlemmen43 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:38 pm

https://simplemaps.com/data/us-cities

Do the Free Download and it has a ton of info including Lat/Long.
jlemmen43

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2022 FirstAccess