cutting down turnovers

cutting down turnovers

Postby sgran70 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:45 pm

My guys are throwing the ball all over the court. They are pretty familiar with the main offense, so I don't think that's the problem. Do the offensive sliders have something to do with it? Or is it just bad player IQ and passing ratings?
sgran70

Re: cutting down turnovers

Postby PointGuard » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:32 pm

How many game into the season are you? Do you have a lot of freshmen, new JC players, or transfers? How many turnovers is your team experiencing? Range? Average TO/Gm for your team? Are most of the TO's attirbutable to a few players? What offenses are you running and what's the % of usage for each? What's the level of offensive freedom you're using? What level of offensive pace are you running? Do you PG's have high or low ratings for ball handling and passing?
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby sgran70 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:18 am

So the offensive freedom and pace are what I'm interested in understanding better.
Let's say I'm running a motion offense with competent players who have average passing ratings and IQ. My guys start throwing the ball all over the place. Should I turn down the pace because we're rushing or turn it up because we're throwing too many passes and therefore rolling the dice more often? Or should I just tell my guys to stop freelancing and stick to the plays?
sgran70

Postby PointGuard » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:43 pm

I've read in here different thoughts on this from different game players. I THINK that these were their PERCEPTIONS rather than hypotheses that were actually tested and found to be true. I've not tested this out either and don't know the innerworkings of the game, so my thoughts would simply be my best guess (which probably wouldn't be true).

Soooo...why not do a test with your team? Run a series of Exhibition games with several iterations of each of the different combinations of offensive freedom and pace and see if there is a big difference in average number of turnovers for your team with any of them.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:56 pm

I have found that when I pick up the pace I get fewer TOs. I run the Offensive Pace at about 8 out of 10. Also, I recruit for ball handling. With my guards BH and Defense are my two most important factors. We'll find ways to score. I want to be sure we take care of the ball!
Wayne23

Postby sgran70 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:51 pm

Wayne23 wrote:I have found that when I pick up the pace I get fewer TOs. I run the Offensive Pace at about 8 out of 10. Also, I recruit for ball handling. With my guards BH and Defense are my two most important factors. We'll find ways to score. I want to be sure we take care of the ball!

So you're saying that more passes equal better shots but more chances for turnovers? That would jibe with my experience because I've been running slow pace.
sgran70

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:59 pm

That's what I'm saying. The more you pass it the more likely you are to turn it over.
Wayne23

Postby RGSchulzy16 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:27 am

I’ve never been a fan of how this works. As someone who likes to go at 1 or 2 pace the turnovers are wayyyy too high. Use Virginia in real life for example, they play at snails pace and have far fewer turnovers than those run and gun type offenses. I still haven’t found a way this works
RGSchulzy16

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2022 General Discussion