More scholarships

More scholarships

Postby ubacrazy » Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:24 pm

With all the transfers and players leaving early for the draft, I think it would be good if you could offer more scholarships then you currently have available. Most of the good players are committed by the time a player announces for the draft so I always fill that spot from the transfer portal rather than picking up a lower tier recruit. Something else that would be good to add is players backing out of their recruitment if a head coach leaves or gets fired. Great game guys keep up the good work!!
ubacrazy

Re: More scholarships

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:51 pm

I agree with allowing players to change their mind but not with offering more scholarships than you have available. Kids occasionally do (I think) change their mind about a commitment. But the NCAA does not allow you to offer scholarships you don't have. Thanks for bringing this up!
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby ubacrazy » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:02 pm

The NCAA lets you offer as many scholarships as you want, but you can only have 13 scholarship players once the season starts. I’m a IU fan we had 3 players committed this yr and everyone on the team has eligibility left. Coaches do it all the time because they know either A a player is going pro or B their are going to transfer.
ubacrazy

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:22 pm

In that case I support your proposal. Thanks.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wildcat18 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:13 pm

ubacrazy wrote:The NCAA lets you offer as many scholarships as you want, but you can only have 13 scholarship players once the season starts. I’m a IU fan we had 3 players committed this yr and everyone on the team has eligibility left. Coaches do it all the time because they know either A a player is going pro or B their are going to transfer.

A couple of years ago, Saddiq Bey was committed to play for NC State. They overrecruited, though, so he decommitted and ended up at Villanova.
Wildcat18

Postby CJacksonCowart » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:58 am

That's a really interesting idea to allow you to overcommit and then penalize you harshly if it comes back to bite you. I could see many coaches in this game learning that the hard way...
CJacksonCowart

Postby Gary Gorski » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:39 pm

I have purposely not let you offering more scholarships than available because it becomes a very messy situation in the code to handle. It's a huge task getting 350+ AI teams to handle recruiting as it is - adding in the complexity of letting them recruit for spots they don't have and then adjusting to that is just more headache than its worth to me than the benefits I feel it would bring to the player so that is why it has not been added up to now and is not likely to happen.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby jlemmen43 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:48 pm

Gary Gorski wrote:I have purposely not let you offering more scholarships than available because it becomes a very messy situation in the code to handle. It's a huge task getting 350+ AI teams to handle recruiting as it is - adding in the complexity of letting them recruit for spots they don't have and then adjusting to that is just more headache than its worth to me than the benefits I feel it would bring to the player so that is why it has not been added up to now and is not likely to happen.

How difficult was it to transition into the new transfer portal with coding? Seems like a lot of AI decisions there.
jlemmen43

Postby ubacrazy » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:03 am

Gary, Thanks for the hard work on the game it really is enjoyable. I understand it’s easy for us to come up with ideas; a lot harder to make them a reality. The reason I brought this up was really because I had one season where I had 4 player graduate 5 players leave early for the draft and 2 players transfer. So I basically turned over my entire roster with most of my new players coming from the portal. The easiest solution is probably for me to turn up the recruiting difficulties so I don’t have a bunch of guys that get drafted early. Great game keep up the good work
ubacrazy

Postby Wildcat18 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:13 pm

Perhaps a solution to let people prepare for players declaring for the draft early is a mock draft board that is updated at various points in the season. That way, people can see “oh, my starting PG is likely to be a top 5 pick, I better prepare to fill the extra spot at the end of the recruiting period.

Obviously you won’t be able to find a top recruit in the spring, but you can definitely still find useful pieces.
Wildcat18

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2022 General Discussion