Recruiting and Potential

Recruiting and Potential

Postby jolo240 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:36 pm

Hello Everyone!

I'd just like to ask for any tips regarding recruiting and potential.

I have been getting highly-rated recruits (around 100-400) but their ratings when they come into campus suck.

On the other hand, the low-rated recruits (around 1000s) get high ratings (I check our conference's ROTY regularly)

2nd query is regarding Potential

How does Potential Rating work? I don't notice any changes when my new recruits redshirt (their ratings stay stagnant)

I want to improve my team rating (I used St. Thomas on the CBB Mod, Summit League)

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thank you!
jolo240

Re: Recruiting and Potential

Postby PointGuard » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:03 am

While some recruits will come to campus with higher than expected skill ratings and others with lower than expected skill ratings, my impression and experience has been that ratings for recruits ranked between 100 and 500 have generally been better than those who have rankings between 501-1000. But I haven't done a detailed analysis of this. If you can show that the average skill ratings for all recruits in the 100-500 range are lower than all those in the 501-1000, then I think that would be worth reporting to Support along with your game files so it could be checked out further.

With regard to redshirts, I don't do a lot of redshirting. But yes, I tend to agree that the skill ratings for redshirts in May are not as high as I would hope. Of course, while these guys have practiced with the team, they have not played any games against Division I opponents so they're not going to improve as much as guys who have been getting game experience...but their familiarity with your offensive and defensive sets will be higher than when they came to campus a season ago. Also I think many of them have their ratings adjusted upward a bit by the time games begin to be played in November.

If you want to improve your school's prestige...recruit well, win games, and get to post-season tournaments and then deep within them. It often just takes time, though...and pretige levels increase slowly, not in big leaps.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby jolo240 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:57 am

Last time I checked, on average, the ratings of higher-level recruits are higher than lower-level ones. Maybe the ROTYs are just severe outliers.

On redshirting, I have tried one guy (Current Rating 0.5* Potential Rating 0.5*) and another guy (Current Rating 0.5* Potential Rating 3.5*) to check and only the higher potential guy got their ratings up to 1*

I'm now a constant 1st round exit in the NCAA tourney.. My Team Prestige right now is hovering between 15-25 every season. I'll optimize my strategy. (I have been using Auto Depth/Strategy so far)

Thanks a lot!
jolo240

Postby Wildcat18 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:31 am

First thing to note is that your ratings and potentials are based on your coaches' scouting ability. So they can be wrong.

One thing I've found is that lower-ranked recruits tend to have more straight-up weaknesses than higher-ranked recruits, and these weaknesses might mean that they are extremely bad at one thing. Meanwhile, the higher-ranked recruit might have a higher "baseline" of all skills. However, this means that a lower-ranked recruit may be able to significantly outperform higher-ranked recruits if their weaknesses aren't that important. For example, I had a 1-star PG who started 4 years at SG for me, because he came in with 9/10 outside shooting and defense, and good ball-handling and passing skills. He couldn't block a shot, get an offensive rebound, or post up in the paint to save his life, but because those didn't matter he was a key part of turning the program around.

Also, it took me a lot of seasons playing just to get into the tournament with guys I recruited, so you're definitely off to a good start!
Wildcat18

Postby jolo240 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:29 pm

Yeah, maybe that's just a part or the randomness that is college recruiting.

I noticed that too, I saw some guys have straight up bad skills.

Yeah. I finally reached the second round last night, getting a 3-14 upset. I manually set my strategy and depth unlike previous seasons (got some wins against ranked UCONN and MISSOU)

Thanks!
jolo240

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2022 General Discussion