SUGGESTIONS FOR DDSCB2023

Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR DDSCB2023

Postby PointGuard » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:38 pm

drummer199...there's no good way for me to include your suggestion in the Suggestions List, but FYI, I've suggested to Gary that he take a look at your post.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby jfsolo23 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:47 pm

I just want to make a plea for the midrange rating to be added to the college game. Even if my scouts are wrong, I really want to be able to try to bring in specific players as knock down 3pts shooters.

As an aside, CB 2023 looks absolutely incredible so far.
jfsolo23

Postby PointGuard » Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:04 pm

OK, guys. Now that Gary is actively working on development of CB23, I've closed the CB23 Suggestions List. Ya had yer year to add to it. :D

The CB2024 Suggestions List can begin AFTER CB23 is released.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Tie Breaker in Conference

Postby BKL » Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:34 pm

The tie breaker for conference ties should be simpler. For instance, after a two-way tie it becomes kind of random. For two-way, I believe it's head to head. But there are many instances where it's a 3-way tie, etc. In these cases, you can't determine who wins the conference, it's random or, if not, doesn't make sense. I think it should be simple, like head-to-head for two-way and then maybe overall ranking after that. Just so it seems logical.
BKL

Schedule for Promotion League

Postby BKL » Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:36 pm

The schedule for a promotion league doesn't make sense. Some teams will play a team two times, but completely not play another team in the conference (there are no divisions). Each team should play the other at least once.
BKL

Postby jlemmen43 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:16 pm

jfsolo23 wrote:I just want to make a plea for the midrange rating to be added to the college game. Even if my scouts are wrong, I really want to be able to try to bring in specific players as knock down 3pts shooters.

As an aside, CB 2023 looks absolutely incredible so far.

I assume it will be there since the Pro game has added the midrange rating. Unless i missed something.
jlemmen43

Postby Bryan » Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:39 am

EC Hood wrote:Curious as to if anyone else has the same feelings.

Since you asked, without intending to violate PointGuard's announcement:

I think the ideas your posted fall into a few categories:

- Improving roster and recruiting AI, always a good idea. I also assume it to be incredibly difficult, since I don't know of any sports sim that it isn't a major complaint about, and that it includes the most popular ones out there. I don't think I 've ever seen a sports sim that I would describe as having good AI handling of roster decisions.

- Walkons: I would describe not allowing them to ever improve or contribute significantly as actually being highly unrealistic. There are examples of walk-ons contributing significantly even on top teams. The issue is to get them to be appropriately rare, and that's a decades-old thorn where no solution has ever been found satisfactory. It's one of those features where the problem is in the details; how to make them have the right amount of impact, the right amount of the time.

- Even moreso than that, items like the prestige and recruiting ideas really need to be drilled down a lot more to what is actually happening. I simmed a random season and 'high majors' accounted for the Top 19 recruit classes at the end of it. But with changing prestige and conference movement if it's on, what a mid-major, high major etc. even means can be a nebulous concept. Even moreso, there's a need to discover exactly what's happening in the situations where you say prestige changes are 'overpowered', because A) I've seen a number of players actually claim the opposite, and B) what specific situations have prestige changes that are 'wrong'?

In situations where too many teams are doing better than they should, we need to know why or the wrong thing can get 'fixed'. Is the mix of available recruits bad, so that not enough of the best ones value prestige highly enough? Are the top teams not emphasizing recruiting assistants enough so that lower-ranked schools are snatching them up? Academics can be a factor, discipline can be a factor, prestige certainly can be a factor ...

For a sim like the one you describe where mid-majors get too strong after several seasons, I would keep a save each year and track how their recruiting is going. Look at what their prestige changes actually are, changes in their coaching staff, and so on. Basically just drill down on what the real causes are, so that there isn't a situation where a 'fix' ends up being made to prestige gains, but that ends up not actually being the problem so the issue isn't even addressed in that case.

I also expect that this will be something that is tested anew with DDSCB23, since removing the recruiting fog-of-war will change the recruiting balance anyway.
Bryan

Postby PointGuard » Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:47 am

LOL..you're not violating anything I said. In fact, discussion here is great. All I was saying is that at this point i'm not going to keep tossing new suggestions Gary's way now that he's started the CB23 development.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby ECHood » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:52 am

Bryan - I'm sure there are a million details deep in the programming that can cause long sims to act in different ways. I don't know what the answer is in terms of fixing or if anything needs to be fixed. It's just some things that I've noticed playing several 30+ year sims over time. I suspect the prestige thing is a combo of everything - the AI for recruiting, in-game coaching, scouting, strategy, staff hiring, everything. The result that I'm seeing leans towards smaller schools becoming overpowered. I see it in the NCAA tournament seeds, in the NET rankings/RPI, in the Top 25... eventually what seems like a large group of small schools taking their place among the nation's annual elite programs and then, once there, rarely going backwards. I haven't looked so closely as to take notes on each program - there's only so much time in the day - but I was wondering if others have noticed similar things or even cared about them.

I'm a realism guy - and it seems to me the power football schools with huge budgets and great facilities should still be able to out-recruit smaller schools because of their advantages, not to mention hire better head coaches and assistants that can see this recruiting through and then craft a depth chart and strategy that is worthy of these better hires. In real life the small school coaches that go on a big run for a year or two get scooped up pretty quickly by the big schools. In the game, the Colgate coach coming off a 28-win sweet 16 season is getting hired by a big school like Penn State. And then, most likely, Colgate is falling off and Penn State reaps the benefits of whatever good ratings the coach has. In this game, Colgate keeps on dominating for decades and Penn State stays stuck in a rut (not always, of course).

And while writing that I had the possibly hare-brained idea that in a world as coach-centric as college basketball, maybe when a coach that leads a small school to great things moves on, that small school's prestige takes a hit, and the school that hires the coach gains in prestige because they now have a buzzy coach.
ECHood

Postby NCAAhoops » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:53 pm

I haven't really seen this issue myself but I have not simmed much more than a little over 10 years. I see a few smaller schools get better but it's not many and most are short term.
I wonder if most of your simmed years are with the new transfer rule in place as maybe that has an effect on what your seeing? (Just trying to nail down a likely cause).

As far as coaches with high prestige they do raise the prestige of the school they are employed per Gary a couple of years ago. I questioned some school prestige's changing at start of an association and it turned out that was the reason so they do have an effect. Can't say it works the other way but I would assume it does.
NCAAhoops

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2022 General Discussion