SUGGESTIONS FOR DDSCB2023

Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR DDSCB2023

Postby PointGuard » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:13 am

alternativestats:

Yes, it's been on the list at least the past 2 years...and I've added it to this list as well.

But a few questions:

a. If you're going to realistically look at juniors, then I guess you'd have to include not only those juniors who presently make it (when they become seniors bur also some other juniors who you'd need to evaluate as potentially able to make the list when they become seniors. So if that's the case, how many additional juniors should be included? I mean HS players are developing at widely different rates as they mature and gain experience, that this would seem to need to be something that would have to be included if this is to be implmented. So, would you say that we'd have to be evaluating maybe twice as many juniors in a state as are presently being included in the recruit list once they become seniors? For example, in my present associaiton, in a small population state (Wyoming), there are 27 recruits. In a large population state (California) there are 77 recruits. So if Gary was to implement the recruiting of juniors, shoudl there be 54 in Wyoming and 154 in California for us to evaluate?

b, Would there be a different set of criteria and ways to recruit juniors? If so, what?

c. Wouldn't there need to be a fairly significant increase for college recruiting budgets to be able to do this? if so how much? 10% more, 25% more, 50% more?

d. For those juniors you evaluate/recruit, would you feel it was a waste of time for those who don't make the cut when they become seniors?

e. Why would this help low prestige/low budget colleges more than high prestige/high colleges?

f. If this is to be impomented, the AI would need to be doing this as well as the human. How best could this be programmed/controlled so that the human doesn't gain an unfair advantage?

g. a fair amount of game players already feel that recuriting takes a lot of time, by adding this, might it just become oppressive?

h. How best for game players to keep track of the juniors that they recruit/evaluate so that the informaton they gain isn't lost to them by the time those juniors become seniors?
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby PointGuard » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:45 am

Billdozer: I've added your second and third suggestions, but before adding your first one (practices), I have some qeustions:

a. I would think Gary MAY already be factoring in improvements for athleticism and the skills you mention in point #2 based on player's practicing each week and the amount they play in games (I'm not sure of this since I don't know how he's programmed things...but some way players are gradually improving). So do you feel there's really a need to micro-manage these aspects? What ultimately would it do to improve the game for game players?

b. Do you feel that the time necessary for game players to manage all these aspects be worthwhile or would the additional time become something that ultimately takes away their pleasure of the game?

c. Are you suggesting that game players set varying practice times for the different skills for each of their players? If not, do you really want players who are making 90% of their FT's practing foul shooting? (just an example)

d. I don't understand what you want when you say "the traditional practice running sets-to learn the team systems" ?? Are you just saying continue the practicing of sets (as is presently done) PLUS add another component (breaking full court presses) to which time could be allotted (but (hat therefore would decrease the time available for practicing sets)??

e. The AI would also have to be doing this, how best to manage this for over 300 different coaches and thousands of different players?
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby grahoben » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:30 am

1. Consolation games in non-conference tournaments would be awesome

2. Being able to use the tournament maker in an association (i.e. being able to manually edit the field for the postseason tournaments)
grahoben

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:58 am

Do tournaments actually still have consolation games? I thought they were mostly eliminated because most coaches hate them.
Wayne23

Postby Arich1044 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:04 pm

I really like the idea of more call interactions with players, maybe even recruits. Would love the ability to try to convince a player to stay if he is trying to transfer, or trying to convince a player to transfer to my school instead of just simply scouting and offering then he either chooses my school or doesn’t.

Something like guaranteed playing time, talk about player development skills, etc. for example, my coach has a very high player development rating so a kid may be more willing to sit the bench for a year or two, knowing that he is being developed by a high player dev coach, and it may help him down the road
Arich1044

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:59 pm

Given the new transfer rules I'd be hesitant to guarantee playing time. I might snag someone who's better than the guy I am promising to.
Wayne23

Postby Arich1044 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:19 pm

To me, that just adds another layer of depth though. If I think I can go get someone who will be better, I would let the guy on my current roster leave, but if I think he can be a better option, it may be worth it to convince him to stay. Could add in some negative responses if you don’t get him the playing time you guaranteed as well. That player could end up causing issues, or it could hurt your school/coach prestige or something along those lines
Arich1044

Postby ShamWow17 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:50 pm

Wayne23 wrote:Do tournaments actually still have consolation games? I thought they were mostly eliminated because most coaches hate them.

I mean the postseason tournaments don't have them anymore, no 3rd place NCAA game, but Maui, Battle 4 Atlantis, etc.? Absolutely still around. I'm not sure why coaches would hate them, since it allows for more resume-building.
ShamWow17

Postby Billdozer » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:06 pm

Hello, I am just thinking about my own experiences playing many sports including soccer, baseball, basketball, table tennis, tennis, and ultimate frisbee. All of my practicing in these sports followed the same general 3 part practice format I mentioned.

a. I think in real life some teams spend more time on conditioning and stamina. It could be a way to prioritize athleticism if someone wants a high tempo, full court press strategy.

b. I think if everything was on the practice plan screen it would not add a ton of time. I envision the default being 5 or 10 minutes for each part of practice. I think The improvements would be marginal with more practice time so the individual players skills and styles would still be very important. I think it could be a way to help your team skills match the head coaches philosophy. I can see how some people might not like these changes and they might be difficult from the development and coding side of the game.

c. That is a good point. I was thinking about this with team strength and weaknesses in mind.

d. Yes, I meant continue the practicing of sets.

e. I don't know, good question.

that my suggested format h
PointGuard wrote:Billdozer: I've added your second and third suggestions, but before adding your first one (practices), I have some qeustions:

a. I would think Gary MAY already be factoring in improvements for athleticism and the skills you mention in point #2 based on player's practicing each week and the amount they play in games (I'm not sure of this since I don't know how he's programmed things...but some way players are gradually improving). So do you feel there's really a need to micro-manage these aspects? What ultimately would it do to improve the game for game players?

b. Do you feel that the time necessary for game players to manage all these aspects be worthwhile or would the additional time become something that ultimately takes away their pleasure of the game?

c. Are you suggesting that game players set varying practice times for the different skills for each of their players? If not, do you really want players who are making 90% of their FT's practing foul shooting? (just an example)

d. I don't understand what you want when you say "the traditional practice running sets-to learn the team systems" ?? Are you just saying continue the practicing of sets (as is presently done) PLUS add another component (breaking full court presses) to which time could be allotted (but (hat therefore would decrease the time available for practicing sets)??

e. The AI would also have to be doing this, how best to manage this for over 300 different coaches and thousands of different players?
Billdozer

Postby SirMichaelJordan » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:30 am

Wayne23 wrote:Do tournaments actually still have consolation games? I thought they were mostly eliminated because most coaches hate them.

Yes, loser brackets (which it’s referred to nowadays) are still active in preseason tournaments.

It’s a good opportunity for smaller teams to strengthen its schedule even after losing the first game.
SirMichaelJordan

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2022 General Discussion