SUGGESTIONS FOR DDSCB2023

Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR DDSCB2023

Postby SirMichaelJordan » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:59 am

Recruiting Preferences for coaches

viewtopic.php?f=350&t=35136#wrap
SirMichaelJordan

Postby jfsolo23 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:16 pm

Home court seems to still be somewhat overpowered to me, yes anything can happen, but beating two top 20 teams in neutral court games in a pre-season tournament and then losing 3 road games in conference each by double digits to teams who appear to have much less talent than me seems a bit much.

The key factor IMO is that really low, sub 35% FG percentage, happens too often in road games. I can't tell of course if the team is just too cold or the home defense is given too large a boost above their baseline defensive abilities.
jfsolo23

Postby PointGuard » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:30 pm

jfsolo23 wrote:Home court seems to still be somewhat overpowered to me, yes anything can happen, but beating two top 20 teams in neutral court games in a pre-season tournament and then losing 3 road games in conference each by double digits to teams who appear to have much less talent than me seems a bit much.

The key factor IMO is that really low, sub 35% FG percentage, happens too often in road games. I can't tell of course if the team is just too cold or the home defense is given too large a boost above their baseline defensive abilities.

This probably isn't really a CB23 suggestion but an issue you request that Gary check into for CB22. So I suggest you raise the issue for CB22 via a new thread. Providing more extensive quantifiable substantionn is likely to improve the chance it can be corrected, if necessary.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby PointGuard » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:49 pm

All the other suggestions above have been added.

Billdozer: Since my questions and your responses don't really fit into the Suggestions List format I provide to Gary, I'm adding your suggestion and then providing our Q&A as a footnote to the Suggestions List.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby hotdawg33 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:25 pm

Scheduling!

More games scheduled for each team...right now most teams in DDSCB play 29 regular season games (unless a team is playing in a preseason tournament and advances past the 1st round then they will play more games) but in reality most teams play well over 30 regular season games before getting to the conference tournament...those 2-4 extra games can make a difference in my team making the tournament or not making the tournament obviously depending on the outcome of the games.
hotdawg33

Postby SirMichaelJordan » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:48 pm

Additional spots for team rivals.
SirMichaelJordan

Postby ShamWow17 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:45 pm

hotdawg33 wrote:Scheduling!

More games scheduled for each team...right now most teams in DDSCB play 29 regular season games (unless a team is playing in a preseason tournament and advances past the 1st round then they will play more games) but in reality most teams play well over 30 regular season games before getting to the conference tournament...those 2-4 extra games can make a difference in my team making the tournament or not making the tournament obviously depending on the outcome of the games.

Not quite... Per Andy Wittry on ncaa.com, teams not participating in an early season tournament are allowed up to 29 regular season games, including conference play. The teams that do receive and accept an invitation to one of those events though may play up to 28 regular season games, plus that tournament, totaling as many as 31 games before their conference tournament, as no multi-team event allows any team to play more than 3 games in real life. From what I've seen over the last few years of playing the DDSCB games, each version seems to do a pretty outstanding job at maximizing every team's schedule according to those restrictions, with the most notable example being that the 2k classic and NIT season tip off allow for up to 4 games for the teams that participate in their respective championships.
ShamWow17

Postby PointGuard » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:34 pm

ShamWow17 wrote:
hotdawg33 wrote:Scheduling!

Not quite... Per Andy Wittry on ncaa.com, teams not participating in an early season tournament are allowed up to 29 regular season games, including conference play. The teams that do receive and accept an invitation to one of those events though may play up to 28 regular season games, plus that tournament, totaling as many as 31 games before their conference tournament, as no multi-team event allows any team to play more than 3 games in real life. From what I've seen over the last few years of playing the DDSCB games, each version seems to do a pretty outstanding job at maximizing every team's schedule according to those restrictions, with the most notable example being that the 2k classic and NIT season tip off allow for up to 4 games for the teams that participate in their respective championships.

Thanks for checking into this, ShamWow. :cool: I was planning on doing in, but might not have found the reference you did.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:40 pm

SirMichaelJordan wrote:Additional spots for team rivals.

Added to the list.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby alternativestats » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:12 pm

Just a quick note then I will address your questions. What I have in mind isn't full blown recruiting of juniors. I would only add the ability to watch film and add them to the call list. This should limit the ability of exploiting the feature and it's really only meant to generate a boost in the level of interest that recruit has in your school.

The game I got this idea from was one of the 2K college games. They had a recruit interest meter that increased with attention. So calling them every week of their junior year would build that interest meter instead of starting at zero or low interest their senior year. But, it wasn't a guarantee that they were a good recruit or that other schools wouldn't pass you in interest. By the time signing day showed up your recruit could have 100% interest in multiple schools so even filling the interest bar was not a sure thing if your program didn't stack up to the other schools going after him.

a. If you're going to realistically look at juniors, then I guess you'd have to include not only those juniors who presently make it (when they become seniors bur also some other juniors who you'd need to evaluate as potentially able to make the list when they become seniors. So if that's the case, how many additional juniors should be included? I mean HS players are developing at widely different rates as they mature and gain experience, that this would seem to need to be something that would have to be included if this is to be implmented. So, would you say that we'd have to be evaluating maybe twice as many juniors in a state as are presently being included in the recruit list once they become seniors? For example, in my present associaiton, in a small population state (Wyoming), there are 27 recruits. In a large population state (California) there are 77 recruits. So if Gary was to implement the recruiting of juniors, shoudl there be 54 in Wyoming and 154 in California for us to evaluate?

I think double the number of juniors seems like a reasonable estimate.

b, Would there be a different set of criteria and ways to recruit juniors? If so, what?

This would not be different, it would be limited to call list and film study.

c. Wouldn't there need to be a fairly significant increase for college recruiting budgets to be able to do this? if so how much? 10% more, 25% more, 50% more?

I think because the call list and film are not expensive there wouldn't need to be a budget adjustment. Maybe 5% at most.

d. For those juniors you evaluate/recruit, would you feel it was a waste of time for those who don't make the cut when they become seniors?

I don't think so. It's like any other recruiting efforts. Most of the players you recruit are going to wash out or ignore you, that's even more true with juniors, but every so often you get the recruiting win that makes the failures worth it.

e. Why would this help low prestige/low budget colleges more than high prestige/high colleges?

It wouldn't automatically help lower prestige/budget schools more, but it's a cheap way for them to build up interest in a player who might not be on the radar of a bigger program yet.

And, elite programs might gain an edge over other elite programs in this way. Like if I'm Duke and a junior has parents that both went to UNC but my interest in him a year early helped me edge them out.

f. If this is to be impomented, the AI would need to be doing this as well as the human. How best could this be programmed/controlled so that the human doesn't gain an unfair advantage?

I don't know if this matters considering the call list only idea. But, one way to limit human exploitation is to cap the number of juniors which can be added. Maybe ten or twenty at most. This would allow there to be a randomized failure rate among the players you put interest in early on. For something like this I would also increase the total call list cap to maybe the 55 or 60.

g. a fair amount of game players already feel that recruiting takes a lot of time, by adding this, might it just become oppressive?

It's possible. Can a box be added allowing an assistant coach to automatically pick the juniors to put on the call list for players that don't want to bother with this?

h. How best for game players to keep track of the juniors that they recruit/evaluate so that the informaton they gain isn't lost to them by the time those juniors become seniors?[/quote]

The only idea I have for this is having the juniors on your call list automatically save over to the senior call list. Maybe they just show up as one stars automatically if they wouldn't have normally made the cut as seniors.

I hope this makes what I'm suggesting more clear and I would be happy to help flesh out the idea a bit more if needed.
alternativestats

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2022 General Discussion