Positional Attributes

Positional Attributes

Postby taymaj » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:53 am

I'm a newbie to this game and I'm working my way up from the low-majors. Since I don't get many recruits, I need to make the most out of the players I have and so am looking at changing positions. What attributes should I be looking at for various positions?
taymaj

Re: Positional Attributes

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:29 am

Good question. Hopefully you'll get several replies.

For me: Defense is at the top of my list for every position; that's all I'll say about D. IQ is important to me as well. Then I look at the Overall rating.

For the guards I value Passing and Ball Handling. Athleticism is a good trait.

For the bigs I value rebounding.

PG: Ball Handling and Passing skills are a must, and a decent IQ rating matters because this is my floor general.

I don't place a lot of emphasis on shooting/scoring but my SG and SF should be at least decent scorers as in most cases they will get the points outside. And SCR is where I look to determine how well they will score.

PF and C: They have to be glass eaters. It doesn't hurt if they can shoot inside.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby taymaj » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:37 am

Thank you Wayne. It's gonna be a rough first year for Bowling Green, but I love the game thus far.
taymaj

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:24 am

Keep posting and if you have questions, ask them. It's a great game!
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wildcat18 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:39 pm

Figured I'd add my thoughts for what I value at each position, especially since I tend to do things a little...unconventionally at times.

For starters, rather than 5 positions, I look at my players as one of three "types": guards, wings, and bigs. Guards play the PG or SG, wings SG SF or PF, and bigs PF or C.

Everybody should be good at D.

Guards: Ball-handling, passing, outside scoring. These guys are my primary ballhandlers.
Wings: Here, I'm looking for scoring (both inside and outside) and rebounding.
Bigs: they either need to be an elite interior scorer or a good passer (preferably both, though). Rebounding is obviously important here. If they can draw fouls and shoot FT, even better.
Wildcat18

Postby jlemmen43 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:13 am

Wildcat18 wrote:Figured I'd add my thoughts for what I value at each position, especially since I tend to do things a little...unconventionally at times.

For starters, rather than 5 positions, I look at my players as one of three "types": guards, wings, and bigs. Guards play the PG or SG, wings SG SF or PF, and bigs PF or C.

Guards: Ball-handling, passing, outside scoring. These guys are my primary ballhandlers.
Bigs: they either need to be an elite interior scorer or a good passer (preferably both, though). Rebounding is obviously important here. If they can draw fouls and shoot FT, even better.

I also categorize players into those three categories. Good breakdown!
jlemmen43

Postby Arich1044 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:54 pm

Wildcat18 wrote:Figured I'd add my thoughts for what I value at each position, especially since I tend to do things a little...unconventionally at times.

I do the same thing. Modern day basketball is trending more towards “position less” so that’s what I’m going for. Often times, I have my SG playing point, SF playing PF, sometimes even C.

With guards, ball handing, passing and defense are most important for me, with athleticism close behind. Scoring is important for SG/SF types. Big men, I like to have good rebounding, and good inside scoring OR good passing. Someone who can make use of their post touches, and limit offensive rebounds given up
Arich1044

Postby Tiptop00 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:17 pm

Are positions meaningless in this game? I consistently get shooting guards who have higher rebounding abilities then Centers. I play them at Center and they are more successful. Even have point guards doing the same thing. Basically can just have a team full of guards and your better off.
Tiptop00

Postby tbrtb » Tue May 31, 2022 9:36 am

Tiptop00 wrote:Are positions meaningless in this game? I consistently get shooting guards who have higher rebounding abilities then Centers. I play them at Center and they are more successful. Even have point guards doing the same thing. Basically can just have a team full of guards and your better off.

This seems very problematic if so. I've been wondering the same thing. Like, if I have a 5'10 PG with good blocking skills, is he going to get blocks if I match him up with a 7' C? I can envision a world where players around 6'6 with good rebounding could be better rebounders than Centers, as there is more to rebounding than just height. But very curious if height matters at all in the game
tbrtb

Postby NCAAhoops » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:54 am

The rebound ratings for guards and centers is not comparable in that manner. The rating is to that position, in other words a point guard with a 60 rebound rating is compared to other point guards. A center with 60 rebound rating would be much better rebounding as it's 60 compared to other centers. Height is also a factor so a 6'6" center at 60 would not get as many rebounds as a 60 rated 7'0" center. And if I remember right athleticism is also factored in.
But if you use the player editor and change a point guards natural position to center then you just boosted his rebounding as now that 60 is compared to other centers not point guards.
If I had a tall SG with high rebounding numbers I would play him at SF to take full advantage of the rebounding along with his shooting from a SG perspective.
You might find moving a PG to center works but I would imagine a team with a good center is going to expose that weakness.
Same goes for blocking, unless as I said you used the editor to change his position then the ratings are applied differently once you do that based on the position you changed him too.
NCAAhoops

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2022 General Discussion