Scouting Report on player profile

Scouting Report on player profile

Postby hansmellman » Sun May 08, 2022 4:29 am

This has been something I've been meaning to mention the last few iterations.

Biography - https://imgur.com/UUxtDj3
Player card - https://imgur.com/Jj7skUi
EDIT - The description also says that he rarely makes turnovers, here he is a few games into the season with 12 TO in one game. - https://imgur.com/mg8HNGJ

I always assumed that the text for the scouting report was automatically drawn from a particular attribute being over a certain threshold. However, take for example this player, he is quoted as having great ball handing despite his rating being 47, a quality free throw shooter despite his rating being 60 and unlikely to draw many steals despite his rating being 72. He is a 100 rated outside shooter and there isnt a mention of that anywhere.

I feel like these biographies could really add something to the game if only they made a little more sense and were a bit more valuable. At the moment I feel like most people (from my own experience) probably just glaze over them and when they do notice them it's a similar theme to what I've mentioned above.

I'd love to know how they work and if there is any room to improve or alter them to be more dynamic or valuable to players.

If this is just my experience then I'd love to know!
hansmellman

Re: Scouting Report on player profile

Postby Wayne23 » Sun May 08, 2022 9:38 am

Not sure how long you've been playing so forgive me if you already know all of this:

Recruiting and Scouting info (Transfer info also, now that it is included): Accuracy is based on how high your ratings are as a head coach. If you have low numbers in those categories the info isn't very reliable. As your ratings improve, so does the accuracy of the info you get. Same is true for your assistants.
What to do? Well, with recruiting and transfers take your bests hot and hope. With your team. play the two exhibition games in early November and keep track of the stats, then be ready to adjust the lineup during the pre-conference portion of the season. Usually, even with a head coach with poor ratings, by the time the conference season starts you'll have your best lineup in place.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby hansmellman » Sun May 08, 2022 2:48 pm

Hey Wayne,

Thanks for the response.

So I'm a little confused, the information on the player card for my current team that I'm seeing, those ratings are subject to a 'fog of war' of sorts from my own ineptitude as a coach? Then the text on the scouting report, that's subject to fog of war because of my assistants poor scouting ability? And that's why I'm seeing one thing with their skills and I'm being told something else with their scout report, when in fact, they're both incorrect?
hansmellman

Postby Wayne23 » Sun May 08, 2022 3:03 pm

In both cases, while the assistant's ratings are definitely a factor, the head coach's ratings are a much larger factor. And, as I said, they become more and more accurate as your ratings progress.
If you didn't do so, your Potential Ratings as the head coach should be high, in order for your coach to get better and better. I set mine at 85 across the board but there's nothing magical about that.
Again, the fix is to play the exhibition games, give your potential 3-4 best guards and 4-5 best bigs minutes early in the season in order to see who actually plays better. Or sometimes I distribute minutes about evenly to all of my scholarship players early on. With a low Team prestige team I can get surprises and a guy I didn't expect anything from can surprise me.
It's a good system, IMO, in that it doesn't make the game too easy, which would get boring very quickly. And let's face it, a young head coach at say NJIT isn't going to know as much as a veteran at Ohio State, and the NJIT guy isn't going to be able to afford good assistants.
Wayne23

Postby hansmellman » Sun May 08, 2022 3:11 pm

Thanks for the tips. I'm from the UK so the whole spectacle of college ball is all new to me outside of the game, so everything from exhibition games to conference tournaments is something I'm still trying to understand every facet of! That's useful to know though, I'm currently East Carolina so I could use all the surprise performances from players I can get!
hansmellman

Postby Wayne23 » Sun May 08, 2022 6:10 pm

Welcome! Just ask. PointGuard and I and a few others are quite active on the forums so you should receive replies fairly quickly in most cases.
Wayne23

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2022 General Discussion