What factors drive shot attempts?

What factors drive shot attempts?

Postby Monagfam » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:59 am

New to the forum and I actually have an earlier version, but figured this might be the more active forum and perhaps the changes haven't impacted this area.

I have a SG that I want to feature more, but he seldom puts up many shots. Another SG puts up a lot of shots whenever he is in the game.

What are the ratings that drive a player's desire or willingness to put up shots?

What impact do the offensive sets have on all of this? Will I find that using one set won't utilize a player as much as another?

I feel like there may not be a simple answer, so feel to go as much into the weeds as needed! Thanks for any help!
Monagfam

Re: What factors drive shot attempts?

Postby jfsolo23 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:05 pm

The scoring rating is the number one thing, the scoring rating in comparison to the other players on the court is second, e.g. if the SG has a scoring rating of 5, but two other starters are at 6, then in most games he is not going to get a lot of shot attempts, next is the offensive focus,(balanced, favor outside, etc.) compared to the offensive tendencies of the player, and then I would say the sets you run are last.

If a players has an 8 in scoring and no other player is higher than a 4 then that player is going to shoot a lot no matter else you do stylistically.

I really like to have one of best scorers play a lot of minutes with the 2nd unit so that he can get more shots then he would if he played most of his minutes with the starters, of course you have to be worried that he might transfer even he's playing starters minutes off the bench.
jfsolo23

Re: What factors drive shot attempts?

Postby Monagfam » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:49 pm

jfsolo23 wrote:The scoring rating is the number one thing, the scoring rating in comparison to the other players on the court is second, e.g. if the SG has a scoring rating of 5, but two other starters are at 6, then in most games he is not going to get a lot of shot attempts, next is the offensive focus,(balanced, favor outside, etc.) compared to the offensive tendencies of the player, and then I would say the sets you run are last.

If a players has an 8 in scoring and no other player is higher than a 4 then that player is going to shoot a lot no matter else you do stylistically.

I really like to have one of best scorers play a lot of minutes with the 2nd unit so that he can get more shots then he would if he played most of his minutes with the starters, of course you have to be worried that he might transfer even he's playing starters minutes off the bench.

Thank you! This is really helpful. I do not have the game or their ratings handy, but it makes sense based in what I recall.

Is there a way to increase the scoring rating other than editing a player?
Monagfam

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2022 General Discussion