Input on College Mod requested

Input on College Mod requested

Postby NCAAhoops » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:33 pm

I have been a bit busy with friends and relatives visiting lately, but have a few weeks free coming up.
Last night I started updating the College Mod for the 2022-23 season and started with Won-Loss records and other stats for all teams. Last year instead of using Sports Reference for W-L records which does not include vacated game stats I switched to the NCAA official website. Even there I notice some teams have too many wins/losses associated to them. Well researching last night I see they count DII records in with DI records. For instance Abilene Christian with 1245 wins but in reality they have only 159 DI wins. So I checked a more established team of Arizona and found Arizona went back to DII for 2 years in 1948-49 and 1949-50 but those W-L are counted in the NCAA stats as are W-L before 1939 without any affiliation to DI or DII.
I can find teams with DI listing back to 1901-02 and I have not checked all of them so not sure if DI association goes any further back or not yet as I know games were played back as far as 1893.

So my question is what W-L records should be used in the Mod history. My thoughts are only DI W-L as that is what the game is based on. This will neither match NCAA or Sport Reference but I kind am leaning toward this so I thought before I spend any more time on it I would see what you think? This was a bit of an eye opener for me as I never thought DII and DI stats would be combined on the NCAA official site and record books. If anyone has insight on this please fill me in!

NCAA W-L that has DII included?
Sports Reference which does not include vacated games? (Not sure but think they are DI only)
Or collect data for just DI Wins and Losses and use those stats only.
NCAAhoops

Re: Input on College Mod requested

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:14 pm

My take? Go for D I, but don't drive yourself crazy. Sometimes you need to settle.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby PointGuard » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:43 pm

It doesn't really matter to me. I'd suggest you just pick with ever one you want to use (MCAA or Sports Reference) and use the W-L records directly from the one you prefer.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby blazertaz13 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:20 am

PointGuard wrote:It doesn't really matter to me. I'd suggest you just pick with ever one you want to use (MCAA or Sports Reference) and use the W-L records directly from the one you prefer.

I would agree with Point Guard on this one.
blazertaz13

Postby NCAAhoops » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:48 pm

Thanks for the input.
Because I have all the stats at hand for both NCAA official and Sports Reference, I think I'll use NCAA official, but only the D1 stats as DDSCB is a D1 Sports Sim Game. So a few teams won't match exactly what NCAA uses but I like that there stats remove the records of vacated game where Sport Reference does not. And I'll remove anything DII or not D1 designated which will be easy to do.
Weird how stats are kept for teams W-L on both NCAA including some DII but not all and Sports Reference sometimes does the same thing. Like Abilene Christian, NCAA includes all their DII (32 years) and (59 years) of not D1 or DII and Sport Reference includes 2 years stating they are not a major school but when they were not affiliated with D1 or DII ? I thought both of these sites would be a little more settled on what counts and what does not. Guess I'll make my own of only D1.
NCAAhoops

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2022 General Discussion