Can't believe I've never heard of this game!

Can't believe I've never heard of this game!

Postby herculesx1000 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:38 pm

I used to play college hoops 2k8 legacy mode endlessly with my brother and friends. Eventually our Ps3 bricked, and we had to give up our legacies. I wish I would've known years ago that this game existed! It scratches that same itch that 2k8 did.

One thing I found peculiar though - the team names/logos. I suppose that the mascots and logos had to be changed due to a trademark issue and Wolverine Studios didn't want to get the license. But the schools still have the same name, such as "Charleston Southern" seems pretty identifying. Has Wolverine Studios never gotten in trouble for this?

I see that there is a college mod to add the correct teams and logos into the game, so I am excited to see that!
herculesx1000

Re: Can't believe I've never heard of this game!

Postby Chris » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:23 pm

herculesx1000 wrote:I used to play college hoops 2k8 legacy mode endlessly with my brother and friends. Eventually our Ps3 bricked, and we had to give up our legacies. I wish I would've known years ago that this game existed! It scratches that same itch that 2k8 did.

One thing I found peculiar though - the team names/logos. I suppose that the mascots and logos had to be changed due to a trademark issue and Wolverine Studios didn't want to get the license. But the schools still have the same name, such as "Charleston Southern" seems pretty identifying. Has Wolverine Studios never gotten in trouble for this?

I see that there is a college mod to add the correct teams and logos into the game, so I am excited to see that!

Yeah, just look in the mods forum here for this title, it's the primary mod everyone uses

Here's a good tips video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhjju94Tgc4
Chris

Postby PointGuard » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:43 pm

Charleston Southern Univ. is a public school. The public schools maintain their names in the game's default database whereas private schools are renamed.

The mod's great and has several different options you can choose from. When you use it you'll also have great modded courts

Welcome to the forums.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:38 am

Welcome. I've been playing since March of 2007. The game is so deep it is still fascinating and I'm still learning new things.
Wayne23

Postby herculesx1000 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:18 am

PointGuard wrote:Charleston Southern Univ. is a public school. The public schools maintain their names in the game's default database whereas private schools are renamed.

The mod's great and has several different options you can choose from. When you use it you'll also have great modded courts

Welcome to the forums.

The modded courts look really cool. It is still strange to me that by default the public schools have their name but not the private schools - the few public schools I googled have pages devoted to their trademarks as well, and seem intent on protecting that trademark. As a current law student this stuff just interests me.
herculesx1000

Postby PointGuard » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:02 pm

herculesx1000 wrote:
PointGuard wrote:Charleston Southern Univ. is a public school. The public schools maintain their names in the game's default database whereas private schools are renamed.

Welcome to the forums.

The modded courts look really cool. It is still strange to me that by default the public schools have their name but not the private schools - the few public schools I googled have pages devoted to their trademarks as well, and seem intent on protecting that trademark. As a current law student this stuff just interests me.

Have no idea, but maybe it's ok to use the public school's NAME...but not the nickname/logo...since the nickname and logo aren't used in the default. Again, not be bailiwick.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2022 General Discussion